Page 1 of 111 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

What's the issue?
    Ubuntu updates its software versions every six months with a new release. Mozilla, however, upgrades Firefox every month or two--sometimes every week--with security patches or new feature-based releases. Ubuntu often includes security patches with its own versions a day or a week after Mozilla releases their patches, but many Ubuntu users are impatient and would prefer to install the latest version of Firefox from Mozilla and use that instead of the Ubuntu build of Firefox.

Basically almost all of the methods outlined below do essentially the same thing--download Firefox from the Mozilla website and use that instead of Ubuntu's Firefox. Most also "install" Firefox to the /opt directory.

What are the methods?

Manual - This involves copying and pasting a lot of terminal commands to get Firefox fully integrated with your system. If you want to learn some terminal commands and get to know your system a little better, this is a great way to install the latest Firefox. Instructions are here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion

Automated - This script basically takes the commands in the manual version and saves you the trouble of copying and pasting them all. It also automates a few other things--it automatically detects and downloads the latest version of Firefox, it allows you to select your locale, and it verifies the integrity of the download.
    http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/

Manual with no integration - All the aforementioned methods assume you want the command firefox to launch the new Firefox from Mozilla, that you want your plugins to work with Firefox, and that you want Firefox to be "installed" systemwide for all users. If you just want Firefox to be able to run but not be integrated with plugins or run with the regular firefox command or able to be run by all users easily, then just download the Firefox .tar.gz file from Mozilla to your desktop or home folder, double-click it (or single-click if you're using Kubuntu), extract the .tar.gz using File-Roller or Ark, go to the newly created folder and double-click (or single-click for Kubuntu) the file called firefox. That will launch Firefox.

Use Klik - Klik is a way to install software directly off the web but not using your regular package manager.
    First learn how to use Klik:
    http://klik.atekon.de/wiki/index.php/How_to_use_klik

Then get Firefox from Klik:
    http://firefox.klik.atekon.de/

Stick with the Ubuntu version of Firefox - Ubuntu will continue to update Firefox with security patches as long as they support the release you're using (Dapper, as of this writing, is supposed to be supported for three years). The security patches may not come immediately when Mozilla releases them, but they usually come within a week.

Edit: Actually, since you are not the root user on your system, the Check for Updates button in Firefox will be greyed out, even if you use the Mozilla version. For more details on how to install upgrades, see this post.

A combination of the manual and manual with no integration methods can be found here.

Why this thread?
    There were way too many HowTos on installing the latest Firefox, so I'm creating the ultimate HowTo that outlines the major methods. It's better for new users to have one place to find all the major ways to upgrade than fifteen different HowTos of varying quality. Any "new" upgrade-to-Firefox HowTos will simply be merged into this thread. If a method is actually new and not just a rehash of another method, I'll incorporate that new method into this initial post.
    Last edited by aysiu; June 17th, 2008 at 09:05 PM.

Beans

How To: Install Firefox 1.1 Alpha 1

This install should not harm your existing Firefox installation. This basically walks you through the official Firefox installer and is mainly for the benefit of people who are worried that it might harm their system or that they might do it incorrectly and overwrite their existing Firefox version.

Let's roll...

Backup your firefox profile, just in case the new version corrupts it (nothing bad happened to my profile).
    Code:
    $ cd ~/.mozilla
    $ tar -cMf firefox.tar firefox/
    Now install Firefox 1.1 Alpha 1.
    Code:
    $cd ~
    $ wget ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/deerpark/alpha1/linux-i686/en-US/deerpark-alpha1.installer.tar.gz
    $ tar -zxf deerpark-alpha1.installer.tar.gz
    $ sudo firefox-installer/firefox-installer
    Installer wizard (custom install):

1. Click Forward
    2. Click Accept
    3. Select Custom for install type
    4. Click Forward
    5. Click "Yes" to create the directory
    6. Select any components you want to install.
    7. Click Forward.
    8. Click Install.

Run Firefox 1.1
    Code:
    $ /usr/local/firefox/firefox
    Use the above executable when making a shortcut. Do *not* use the firefox-bin executable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How To: Install Firefox 1.1 Alpha 1

Works perfectly! I heart much
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

i will try it thx guy

Beans

great tip! tried it but somehow the plugins are not in there.. any shortcuts on how i can get the working plugins in my old firefox to work with the new firefox 1.01 ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vassalle
    great tip! tried it but somehow the plugins are not in there.. any shortcuts on how i can get the working plugins in my old firefox to work with the new firefox 1.01 ?
    Plugins or extensions?

Plugins like Flash Player are in ~/.mozilla/plugins and should be shared. I'm not sure about Java or mplayer... I haven't checked those yet.

Some of your extensions will be disabled until you update them. TabBrowser prefs and all-in-one gestures were disabled for me until I clicked the update icon in the corner of the browser window. Greasemonkey is still disabled until they release an update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i have made this (instaled it in /opt/deerpark) rember its a alpha and should be installed for Testing Propouses Only you should make it clear for newbie users
    Kernel Panic! - no sig found!

Beans

how do I remove it so i can use the regular version?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyJazz
    how do I remove it so i can use the regular version?
    You need to update your shortcuts so intead of pointing to '/usr/local/firefox/firefox' they just point to 'firefox'.

You can also remove the /usr/local/firefox directory if you want to reclaim the disk space.

Beans

HOWTO: Install Firefox 1.5 from mozilla.org

How to do it without messing up your system and confusing the package manager (hopefully!)

The Howto is on the wiki at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion. Comments here please.

Page 1 of 111 1231151101 ... LastLast