Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1109

Thread: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

I did a little cleanup on the Wiki entry. It was extremely old and assumed people were using Breezy or Dapper and firefox 1.* instead of 2.*. It also had a lot of convoluted instructions and things not related to installing the Mozilla build of Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What if I want to install Firefox 2.0.0.20 ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFishy View Post
    What if I want to install Firefox 2.0.0.20 ?
    Firefox 2 isn't supported any more.

Beans
    Distro

I know that it doesn't get updates and whatnot, but are you saying that Firefox 2 is impossible to install? I just can't stand Firefox 3..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Thanks much!
    Last edited by DeadlyFishy; May 27th, 2009 at 01:00 AM.

Beans

Re: One more installation method for Firefox

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Peng View Post

How to install Firefox in Ubuntu to get ALL of the functionality
    I was searching this forum and want to inform staff that this link just takes you to an advertisement and should be removed.Thanks.

I also could ask what I was searching for in the first place. I want to know if I can have two separate Firefox programs running on my computer? I wanted to have on with a lot of plugins and one with bear minimum of plugins for speed. I also want to say that the install with no integration in the first post didn't do that for me, it just launched my current firefox, that is the same as typing "firefox" in a terminal.Thanks!!
    Last edited by jcm1107; July 11th, 2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: to make link not take you to advertisement.

Beans

Thanks for pointing that out to me. Unfortunately I shut down that blog quite a while ago and it seems some cybersquatter has placed some adverts at my old URI. I checked the Internet Archive and they didn't snag any of my content from that site so I'm afraid my post has gone to the great bit bucket in the sky.

As far as running two versions of Firefox at one time, I'm afraid that's impossible due to the fact that both versions would run an app called "firefox". The bottom line is that when you launch a second version the OS simply looks at what's running, sees an app called "firefox" is already running, and simply opens a new window for the app already started. The only way around that may be to use a virtual machine to run a different version of Firefox in.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Peng View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out to me. Unfortunately I shut down that blog quite a while ago and it seems some cybersquatter has placed some adverts at my old URI. I checked the Internet Archive and they didn't snag any of my content from that site so I'm afraid my post has gone to the great bit bucket in the sky.

As far as running two versions of Firefox at one time, I'm afraid that's impossible due to the fact that both versions would run an app called "firefox". The bottom line is that when you launch a second version the OS simply looks at what's running, sees an app called "firefox" is already running, and simply opens a new window for the app already started. The only way around that may be to use a virtual machine to run a different version of Firefox in.

That is exactly what it was doing and thanks for letting me know it isn't possible. I know that opening firefox is just the same as typing firefox in a terminal and that opens the current version. I did go on my brothers guest account (which I never use) and there were few plugins there so I guess I could use a different user account to if I want a lighter firefox or a different version. If someone finds a better way of doing this please let me know. I just want a fast light firefox and a seperate one that has alot of plugins and functions. Right now I am using a lot of plugins, so I need to get another install with no plugins that I can configure separate. Thanks

Beans
    Distro

You can install firefox in wine and it runs perfectly.
    So you have 2 different firefoxes.

I first wanted to recommend installing Opera or Konqueror as a second browser but I have discovered recently that google adwords doesn't work in any of them.

So for linux currently there is no alternative but firefox. Unfortunately.

Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 LastLast