Page 105 of 111 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1109

Thread: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

Beans

Re: HOW TO install Firefox 2.0 final on Ubuntu Dapper or Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by svitj View Post
    Just the same here!! I don't get the list with the code numbers.. Ad if I try, any number:

"Your input is not in the range of available localizations. Please try again:"
    Hi, I had this problem too. The problem was that my version of Ubuntu is german. If you have a look at the script (for example with gedit or any other editor), somewhere it says
    # Get available localizations
    and in the line underneath is a long command with wget and other stuff. The problem is the 'grep directory' part.
    I tried out the first part of the command (the wget ftp.... part) and had a look at the output. The word 'directory' did not appear in the output, instead there was the word 'Verzeichnis' which actually means directory in german.
    So if you change the script so that it contains the word for directory in your language, you can run it.

Here is the exact line, I highlighted the spot to change (in my editor, it was line 49):

LOCALIZATIONS=( `wget -q -O - ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/$VERSION/linux-i686/ | grep "Directory" |grep -v "xpi" |awk '{print $7}' | awk -F\/ '{print $10}'`)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

thanks for the tipshttp://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/smiley-faces-80.gif

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks to all in this thread. I finally got FF 2.0.0.1 running on my 6.06. Many helped and a big 'Thank You' to all.

After I got some other things about my net connection straightened out, the http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/firefox link worked for me. It was still a bit confusing, but with enough tries, I got it.

When they say to 'save to the desktop', they mean it.

The 'locations' request was confusing because the window was so small that I missed for a while the list in it to pick from and I had no idea what 'locations' they were talking about and that I had to use a number. ( Real Newbie here.)

A lot of patience is needed as some things go kinda slow and there is no indication that it is still working.

But it all worked out in the end.

Just noticed that the 'spell checker' does network in 'fast reply' but does in the 'advanced' window. Hummmmm

Off to make my next mistake....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I followed the tutorial - thanks - it all worked!

One thing that seems to be missing is how FF will now update itself. At the beginning of the tutorial it says:
    You will no longer get automatic updates for Firefox through the repositories (but Firefox itself has a built into auto-updater, see below for how that works).
    But I can't see that anywhere in the tutorial.

When I'm in my new FF2, the Help->Check for Updates is still greyed out. So, I'm worried I'm not going to be notified of updates. Options for updating are also greyed out in Edit->Preferences.

Any idea what I can do to change this?

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When you do need to update, close Firefox, press Alt-F2, type
    Code:
    gksudo firefox
    and then check for updates and install them. After you're prompted to restart Firefox, go ahead and restart it. Then close it again.

Finally, open it again as a regular user.

When you open Firefox with gksudo go to only check updates (and your homepage, if you have one). Do not visit any other sites.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Excellent - thanks. I guess that's what happens when you don't use the distro to install updates.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Install Firefox 1.5 from mozilla.org

I've removed this part from the original post:
    Automated with extras - Automatix is a program that allows for easy installation of a lot of popular software. If you want not only Firefox but also Flash, Java, and a lot of other popular proprietary plugins, Automatix may be a good choice for you. There are also other automated scripts for popular and/or proprietary software if you don't like Automatix (Easy Ubuntu and BUMPS), but I don't think they install the latest Firefox.
    http://www.getautomatix.com
    Apparently, Automatix upgraded Firefox to 1.5 for Breezy but no longer does Firefox upgrades for Dapper or Edgy. It does have Swiftfox, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If I start Firefox as su, enable automatic Firefox updating in the Preferences, then restart Firefox as a normal user, the automatic updating option is still checked. Will Firefox auto-update now when I run it as a normal user, or will it still not have the privileges?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Beans

One more installation method for Firefox

I tried the script for installing Firefox, but I was disappointed that the update feature is broken unless your run Firefox as root. I finally documented my install method, and while you have to manually fix your plugins the updates and everything else works as Mozilla intended. This way you can work with beta and nightly builds without jumping through any additional hoops once you get it installed.

How to install Firefox in Ubuntu to get ALL of the functionality (link removed because that blog is no longer online)

No, this isn't a knock of the great script from the Psychocats site, I just think if the developers worked as hard as they did to get the update mechanism working the least they could expect from Linux distros is that it works without making the users have to take extra steps.
    Last edited by DJ_Peng; July 12th, 2009 at 02:53 PM.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Page 105 of 111 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast