Page 101 of 111 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1109

Thread: HowTo Install the Latest Firefox in Ubuntu (Ultimate HowTo)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Alternative Howto: Upgrading Firefox from 1.5 to 2

i tried the script posted on here, but with no success. however, i discovered an alternative way of doing it for those who are having the same problem

1. uninstall firefox using synaptic package manager

2. download the firefox 2 for your language/region from www.getfirefox.com

3. uncompress it to /opt/firefox or your home directory or anywhere else if you prefer. (remember /opt/firefox requires sudo)

4. update any launchers, menu launchers, preffered applications settings etc to point to /opt/firefox/firefox or where you unpacked it.

it should now work
    My Website

Download my new album for free here:
    http://www.mininova.org/tor/2966690

Beans
    Distro

Re: Alternative Howto: Upgrading Firefox from 1.5 to 2

found an easier way!

there is an autopackage available from www.autopackage.org
    My Website

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jclmusic View Post
    i tried the script posted on here, but with no success. however, i discovered an alternative way of doing it for those who are having the same problem

1. uninstall firefox using synaptic package manager

2. download the firefox 2 for your language/region from www.getfirefox.com

3. uncompress it to /opt/firefox or your home directory or anywhere else if you prefer. (remember /opt/firefox requires sudo)

4. update any launchers, menu launchers, preffered applications settings etc to point to /opt/firefox/firefox or where you unpacked it.

it should now work
    That's essentially what the script does... except for uninstalling the Ubuntu Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How to install firefox 2.0.0.1

Firefox 2.0.0.1 was released and may seem a minor update, but it seem to have some important fixes.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...firefox2.0.0.1

An update isn't still available in the repositories, and I searched the forums for how to update to 2.0.0.1, but found nothing. So I tried to get the job done and I found a way that works well, so I want to share.

Just download firefox-2.0.0.1.tar.gz from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    Just extract the archive to where you want to run it (I installed it in my ~/ folder), it'll create a folder named firefox

To run it just double-click "firefox" in ~/firefox folder, or update your menu launcher properties. It'll run version 2.0.0.1 and it will still get your settings from the 2.0 version from your ~/.mozilla hidden folder.

To get full functional plugins, just delete ~/firefox/plugins and make it a link for /usr/lib/firefox/plugins

PHP Code:
    ln -/usr/lib/firefox/plugins ~/firefox 
    You may also like to make offline content to open with FF 2.0.0.1. Just right click a html file, for instance, select properties -> open with -> Add -> Use a custom command -> Browse and point it to ~/firefox/firefox

This surely isn't an expert guide for installing, but it worked for me and it's a very safe way to run the latest firefox version, as you are only running it from your home folder, so no messing arround with system files.

Check for Updates menu is now active, I don't know if it'll work fine for further versions.

Hope this will be usefull for someone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: How to install firefox 2.0.0.1

That worked just fine for me. Thank you, I was really looking for a way to upgrade to 2.0.0.1

Ovidiu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It's not actually an upgrade, but a way to have 2.0 and 2.0.0.1 installed at the same time, and running 2.0.0.1. I guess one could really upgrade the default 2.0 version, but I really don't feel confortable messing arround with system files.

The correct way would be 2.0.0.1 be added into repositories, and making the upgrade with Synaptic/apt-get. It'll eventually happen (I think), meanwhile firefox guys made the 2.0.0.1 tar.gz very simple to run.

The only trick is replacing the "plugins" folder with a symbolic link as stated. Just copying the files won't work because many files in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins are already just links and they'll be broken in the copy process.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by rev_b View Post
    The correct way would be 2.0.0.1 be added into repositories, and making the upgrade with Synaptic/apt-get. It'll eventually happen (I think), meanwhile firefox guys made the 2.0.0.1 tar.gz very simple to run.
    I've 2.0.0.1 in my synaptic, so I think it's in the repos since I aded nothing to the sources.lists
    Member of:
    UDSF Team | Absolute Beginners Team | Unanswered Question Team
    ubuntu user #4898

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    That's essentially what the script does... except for uninstalling the Ubuntu Firefox.
    i had problems with the script. maybe it's just me, but if not, i thought i should help others

that howto is kind of useless now i found that autopackage, but i'll leave it there in case people have problems with autopackage too.
    My Website

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

how come one the most popular open-source apps needs an how-to for upgrading whereas a closed-source app ( Opera) provides various deb's for each major and testing release immediately . The testing or weekly are released every week!!.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/
    End the hassle of typing ls!!
    Get a list of files/folders of the current directory of the shell you are running !!
    VIEWGLOB! - SCREENSHOT
    -- works with bash and zsh

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
    how come one the most popular open-source apps needs an how-to for upgrading whereas a closed-source app ( Opera) provides various deb's for each major and testing release immediately . The testing or weekly are released every week!!.
    To tell the truth, I installed ff2.0.0.1 without changing anything. Synaptic made the job.
    Member of:
    UDSF Team | Absolute Beginners Team | Unanswered Question Team
    ubuntu user #4898

Page 101 of 111 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast