View Poll Results: Please read the post... do you think this would be good for the community?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...

42 89.36%
  • No...

3 6.38%
  • Needs work... Heres why....

2 4.26%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Purchase what is free! Open drives that is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Purchase what is free! Open drives that is.

yes... Yes... YES... YES!!!
    Sounds like a great start there... I have created many a wiki and follow those rules when working with hardware. Ironically I followed it rather closely.
    I will start to work with that too.
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Purchase what is free! Open drives that is.

BTW, Vista is doing a certify thing as well: http://www.lookforlogo.com/no_specs.html

I am not suggesting that we shall copy it... but maybe it is some good food for thoughts.
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
    BTW, Vista is doing a certify thing as well: http://www.lookforlogo.com/no_specs.html

I am not suggesting that we shall copy it... but maybe it is some good food for thoughts.
    Good idea to check it out. I see thee standards, but we need to promote the idea that something works or not. I think the next step would be in the direction. To produce a standard of quality. We are just producing a standard of compatability. But thanks for the post. Your right... it is food for thought.
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans

If I wanted people to tell me what hardware and software to buy I'd buy a Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    If I wanted people to tell me what hardware and software to buy I'd buy a Mac
    I get your point and there is a lot of truth to it. The fact of the matter is, it is relative.
    Does PC hardware work on a mac? Do Mac hardware work on a PC? Not in all cases.
    I would be lying if I said that all hardware worked on Linux. Why don't hardware vendor support the Linux OS and say it works on Linux? Quite simply, I think it is because Linux can't support them and keep it's flexibility that makes it unique. When you install software there are many ways it can be done. Apt, RPM, Autopackage, Source, emerge, and many others. If they create packages for each one and tested it with all the Distros out there it would be impossible to cover them all and keep them up to date.

Thats where we come in. WE MAKE THE CHOICE to support the hardware in many different ways. The best way is to get the driver for the hardware in open source form and place it in a Distro to "just work". In my opinion Debian has done a great job of making that possible. And Mepis and Ubuntu are good examples of applying Debian power to what they want in the end.
    So with this all in mind, we find a few things out:

Venders CAN'T support every linux distro and say it "just works" we have to. They can develop a driver but the development and integration into the kernel has to be on the part of the distro.

We have to produce the list of supported hardware for a particular distro of choice. That is what I have done. I picked ubuntu, not Kubutnu, not Xubuntu, not Mepis. But good 'ol ubuntu. That way when out club says it works in ubuntu, well, it works, or it's alot more reliable of an answer than any other general, "Linux compatible" answer.

I don't follow "linux compatible" when I look at a product. I have had bad experiences with it. Ends up the driver only worked for RH7.2 or something like that. They were binary drivers that were closed source and other what not. Something we don't want in the linux community if we can avoid it.

I feel the best option is to create a do all list for each distribution. Many groups may start creating these lists, but only a spare few will be the one that you look to for your answers. A compatibility war so to say. If you can call it that. Looking at distro's it is a battle for many to come on top and ubuntu is not the only distro thinking that way.

Thanks for your comment and yes it is important to understand that you don't want a distro that tells you want to buy. And linux is your BEST choice. (did you know that the wireless mightymouse for mac only runs in linux PC too?)

Thanks... Hope that all made sence.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by encompass View Post
    (did you know that the wireless mightymouse for mac only runs in linux PC too?)
    Don't they work with Macs as well? Err... I mean, PC made by Apple... err... also PC that runs Linux... or PPC Macs that run Linux... ahhh!!!
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
    Don't they work with Macs as well? Err... I mean, PC made by Apple... err... also PC that runs Linux... or PPC Macs that run Linux... ahhh!!!
    The don't run in windows.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345