View Poll Results: Please read the post... do you think this would be good for the community?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...

42 89.36%
  • No...

3 6.38%
  • Needs work... Heres why....

2 4.26%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchase what is free! Open drives that is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Purchase what is free! Open drives that is.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/dis...iver-education
    I agree with this wholly and holy. I wish those that are avid about linux would no longer purchase hardware that supports closed source only.
    You will never see progress in the community if the users don't understand that all hardware needs to be open drivers. This way devices "just work" and don't need all the configuration, download, and setup, that they do now.
    So with this in mind I would like to say.
    MY POINT---
    I have started a program with our little linux club. We are going to all of the computer companies in Helsinki to promote linux software by using the ubuntu live cd's and checking if the systems have linux support with them. For example:
    We go to a store and with there permission boot the live cd. We then verify what works and what doesn't. As payment for them letting us do so. We provide information for them both in paper and online of what hardware worked from our test. We then want to build a community of people to help with anyone that get the device working or provide further information about each device. I suppose this would be best done with a forum.
    Hope I am not the only one who thinks this is a god idea. I just wanted to share it with everyone to get feed back on it.
    Thanks---

As a further not from these posts, it seems we have this in the works, sorta, I hope to start collaborating there on that side too.
    Found here... https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SupportedHardwareListProposal
    And from that site come dohicky...
    http://dohickey.sourceforge.net/clie...eenshots.shtml
    This may be our main to for site submission.
    Last edited by encompass; January 8th, 2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: More information to give, update...
    Like my avatar? Help us make more and your own! http://launchpad.net/memaker
    Book of Mormon-MP3 or BOOK
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans

Re: Purchase what is free! Open drives that is.

I would also suggest freely giving them stickers that say "Works on Ubuntu" or something like that.

While I don't believe that the stores, especially major ones, will be willing to participate, it's certainly worth a try.
    But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by IYY View Post
    I would also suggest freely giving them stickers that say "Works on Ubuntu" or something like that.

While I don't believe that the stores, especially major ones, will be willing to participate, it's certainly worth a try.
    Sounds good to me. I love using open drivers. Things just work in that case, Got 3d out of the box on my laptop (intel chipset) everything else worked too.

When running ubuntu testing releases, I got less X breakage. It's nice when the drivers are open, since the devs can fix 'em. With closed/proprietary hands are tied until the vendor acts (and if you are using something old/obsolete, they may drop support all together...)

EDIT: Also, I'm hoping this helps. I use the Ubuntu Device Database thingy
    Applications -> System Tools -> Ubuntu Device Database

You can send info on your hardware, how well it works, and any comments in particular...
    Last edited by BoyOfDestiny; December 31st, 2006 at 11:55 PM.
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Purchase what is free! Open drives that is.

Boy of DEstiny, Battletoads, I loved them!

And the stickers... yeah, that would be a good idea, but to keep the standard I think it would be a good idea to have a central location that places the stickers. That way people can trust the information a little better.
    "Microsoft is open-source friendly in the same way that a butcher is friendly to a cow." -- This Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by BoyOfDestiny View Post
    Sounds good to me. I love using open drivers. Things just work in that case, Got 3d out of the box on my laptop (intel chipset) everything else worked too.

When running ubuntu testing releases, I got less X breakage. It's nice when the drivers are open, since the devs can fix 'em. With closed/proprietary hands are tied until the vendor acts (and if you are using something old/obsolete, they may drop support all together...)

EDIT: Also, I'm hoping this helps. I use the Ubuntu Device Database thingy
    Applications -> System Tools -> Ubuntu Device Database

You can send info on your hardware, how well it works, and any comments in particular...
    I haven't voted because I'm not sure what the poll means. I agree with BoyOfDestiny..
    Linux Registered User #401979
    Ubuntu Registered User #14181

Minds are like parachutes, dangerous if kept closed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Many companies are tied down by legal agreements with Microsoft. I'm sure many computer retailers would love to ship Linux PCs, but are afraid of Microsoft's retaliation. Microsoft has stated that they would price retailers out of business if they started shipping non-Windows computers. Dell has a habit of introducing Linux PCs, and then withdrawing them when Microsoft begins to flex it's muscles. It's not really a problem with computer vendors, it's Microsofts anti-competitive practices. Most big vendors are paralyzed in this situation until their contract with Microsoft expires. Your best bet is to visit small, unknown retailers who only ship Windows PCs out of ignorance than as a legally binding contract. This is a battle which can not be won by severing the head.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

What about buying a PC with NO operating system on it and installing ubuntu when you get home. Surely it wouldn't be too different to installing over windows on an existing machine???

There are a number of PC/Computer Parts Stores/Chains in Sydney that allow you to build a custom system and select no operating system. Saves about $120-150 off the price

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I agree with this wholly and holy. I wish those that are avid about linux would no longer purchase hardware that supports closed source only.
    You will never see progress in the community if the users don't understand that all hardware needs to be open drivers. This way devices "just work" and don't need all the configuration, download, and setup, that they do now.
    I don't know if holy was intended there..but it does illustrate something. Open Source is not a religion guys. Don't turn it into one.

And until hardware which offers powerful performance under open source drivers comes out, I shall keep on using my current hardware. I don't know what is so wrong about that.

I want compromise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Very hard to find for me in Finland. And many manufacturers won't do that. It's all about the money to them. If people by windows that is what they sell. If people buy linux, oh wait, most don't. This provides a way for people to go to a store and what the hardware they want and know at the same time that it works with linux. It becomes and advantage for them to go to the store, and an advantage for the store to posses this "certification".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    I don't know if holy was intended there..but it does illustrate something. Open Source is not a religion guys. Don't turn it into one.

And until hardware which offers powerful performance under open source drivers comes out, I shall keep on using my current hardware. I don't know what is so wrong about that.

I want compromise.
    Why don't the companies producing those fantastic drivers, and I can't disagree with many of them, make those good drivers open source. That way, everyone benifits from this amazing quality of programming and all graphics drivers improve. Hence the open source ideology.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast