View Poll Results: What do you think about a unified Linux distro?

Voters
604. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds nice, but it can't be done

153 25.33%
  • Sounds terrible and can't be done

253 41.89%
  • Sounds nice, and it can be done. I'm posting my practical suggestions here.

50 8.28%
  • I don't care either way

44 7.28%
  • Sounds terrible but can be done.

70 11.59%
  • Other (please explain)

34 5.63%
Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Unified Linux Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Why is there 150 linux distros around?

When people complain that such & such a feature is not in such & such distro, app, etc. they're told to roll up their sleeves & contribute.

When people work on what they want to work on they're told their wasting their effort & should be working on something else instead.

You're argument about wasted effort can only apply to those who're paid to work on Linux. You can't apply it to the work people volunteer to do.

Even then, as long as there's private ownership people are going to form competeing companies. Having Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, yadda, yadda, yadda...in the end the consumer (end user) is better off.

Linux & free software are about choice. Not just for the users, but for the developers too.
    Last edited by Dylanby; February 7th, 2005 at 02:30 PM.
    Registered Linux user #376998
    The Linux Counter Project - Get Counted!

Beans

Which came first: the chicken or the egg?

I understand what you're saying about so many Linux distros harming the development rate of Linux as a whole. However, a lot of these distros are not created by corporations -- they're developed and programmed by a handful of people. Even further, some distros are created in people's free time.

Not everyone sees eye-to-eye about the ethics and philosophies behind each distro (FOSS and proprietary software) so naturally there will be many distros. Not to mention because of the GPL any major innovations in Linux can and will be spread throughout each or most of the distros. Survival of the fittest.

Taken from http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major . A list of the major distributions of which there are many offshoots are as follows (and in no particular order):
    MandrakeLinux
    Debian
    Red Hat/Fedora
    SuSE
    Ubuntu (BeatrIX, Gnoppix, to name a few)
    Gentoo
    Slackware
    Knoppix
    Mepis
    Xandros
    FreeBSD
    The greatest waste on Earth is potential unrealized

Beans

I think having one distro is pure non-sence. Different distros for different people. Plus the fact that 50% of those 150 distros you named aren't used by that many people. Theres about a dozen distros that people actually use.

I think what Linux needs is a unified package system. It's pure non-sence to have packages for Debian distros to be incompatible with packages for Redhat distros. We need a unified package system so that if someone wants to download a Linux package (other than .tar) they will rest assured that it will work on their box no matter which distro they are useing. The unified package would either have to be Debian or Redhat Package Management.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    I think having one distro is pure non-sence. Different distros for different people. Plus the fact that 50% of those 150 distros you named aren't used by that many people. Theres about a dozen distros that people actually use.

I think what Linux needs is a unified package system. It's pure non-sence to have packages for Debian distros to be incompatible with packages for Redhat distros. We need a unified package system so that if someone wants to download a Linux package (other than .tar) they will rest assured that it will work on their box no matter which distro they are useing. The unified package would either have to be Debian or Redhat Package Management.
    Now that does make sense . Problem is it will a fantastic feat of diplomacy tomake a final choice as to what was used. But I think the community does need to look at this seriously. It really is one of the show stoppers to mainstreaming
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    People fly off half-cocked when they read absurd polls like this and I do not think this serves the public in any useful way.
    Serves the public? That is highly subjective and would get a thousand different definitions.
    No doubt but that not everyone would want to take only yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ
    But I think the community does need to look at this seriously. It really is one of the show stoppers to mainstreaming
    The very best thing about the linux community IS the variety and creativity. I just cringe every time I hear someone advocating universal packaging or the like. The best ideas will always rise to the top and that is how it should be. Others will tend to gravitate to such events when they occur and that is how things are best accomplished. Please save me from some massive cherry picking developer convention. The moment we start down that road then it becomes predominately a matter of control, and how to obtain more of it, so that someone can push what they feel is the "public interest" more aggressively.

A horrible idea.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jan
    Why is there 150 linux distros around?

Well...many of them are Distros that exist just to focus on a single language. Plus, Linux is very flexible and it needs many distros to focus on a specific thing. A distro that tries to do all things will not do one thing well.

Some people need servers, some people need desktops (Ubuntu kicks here), some people need clusters, some people need workstations. No one Linux could have the resources to do all of these things. Red Hat tried once. So its better if they divide.

Plus, the more distros there are the greater the chance that one Just Works on your computer. Sometimes distros make decisions that will make something run bad for you, so its good that there are options.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unified Linux as a Way to Deal with Bug #1

I'm relatively new to Linux so please excuse me if this has been discussed before, but I'm wondering if there is any talk of trying to present a standard distro. There are several Linux distros that seem quite good, but with each group reinventing the wheel, so to speak, it seems like it will be difficult to get one really good distribution. Ubuntu, Suse, Mepis, FC, etc. seem to get mentioned quite a lot. I don't know about all, but some are backed by corporate funding. If those funds and efforts were pooled, don't you think you would have a better chance of developing a really stellar OS?

Don't get me wrong, I think the choice aspect of Linux is quite great. But at the same time, a flagship distribution would be great. I think several are very close to accomplishing this on their own. It just seems like some collaboration would really help things along. After all, one of the first rules of battle is to divide and conquer. I don't think Linux needs to conquer anyone, but being naturally divided doesn't help.

I know backers of each would probably want their contributions to be the main ones and hence keep their name, and some companies may be banking on support options as a road to profit. Still, it would be nice to see several really good communities rally together and make something really special.

Anyway, any chance of anything like this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Any chance of a "standard" linux distro?

Beans

Question What's more important: choice or quality?

Choice makes sense in the business world, as it promotes competition between business entities. In this sense competition acts as a motivator to produce results.

Choice also makes sense when used to express individuality. Lifestyle, personality, fashion... these all contribute to individuality and could not be possible without choice.

However, choice can be less beneficial in certain environments. Such is the case when choice is introduced in linux.

I think it would be fair to say that all open-source linux distributions have a common goal; to provide a free operating system that is at on par with, or better than a commercial equivalent.

The problem I see, however, is that linux stands united and divided at the same time. That common goal is agreed upon, but the devil appears to be in the details. Some might say that having thousands of free programs is beneficial to linux, but to me this is the very bane of it's existence.

If we're all on the same team, why can't we all just get along? What's with the code forks? Why do we have two main desktop environments, when much more could be acheived with just one? Would it be so bad to have one media player to rule them all, provided it was open-source and did everything that was required?

In the interests of development, extendability, ease of use, and extendability, why can we not just settle for one application per function and possibly one distribution altogether?

Beans

Re: What's more important: choice or quality?

Oh, jeez, not this again. I refuse to choose between choice and quality. As far as I'm concerned, current events show that it is possible to have both, and that the competition offered by multiple projects with the same goal spurs quality.

If you want one OS to rule them all, one media player to find them, one office suite to bring them all and in the shadows bind them, then go to Microsoft.
    My sole duty is to my own happiness and well-being. I recognize no other.

Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast