Thread: speeding up sabayon's boot

Beans
    Hidden!

speeding up sabayon's boot

as i understand it, because the installer cd/dvd is also the live cd, much of the sabayon boot process is hardware recognition. how easy is it to eliminate unnecessary processes from the booting and, once that is done, how does the stripped down boot process compare to ubuntu?

also, i hear that sabayon is quite fast. in what ways might and end user like me appreciate that speed?

Beans

Re: speeding up sabayon's boot

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    as i understand it, because the installer cd/dvd is also the live cd, much of the sabayon boot process is hardware recognition. how easy is it to eliminate unnecessary processes from the booting and, once that is done, how does the stripped down boot process compare to ubuntu?

also, i hear that sabayon is quite fast. in what ways might and end user like me appreciate that speed?
    fuscia, please clarify; your question pertains to installed Sabayon?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    fuscia, please clarify; your question pertains to installed Sabayon?
    i guess so. shortly after 'edgy' came out, i had problems with the upgrade, so i decided to install sabayon. i liked it a lot, but i didn't feel like learning emerge at the time. the live cd, for sure, has a slow boot up time and i think i recall the installed sabayon as having a slow boot up time, as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuscia View Post
    i guess so. shortly after 'edgy' came out, i had problems with the upgrade, so i decided to install sabayon. i liked it a lot, but i didn't feel like learning emerge at the time. the live cd, for sure, has a slow boot up time and i think i recall the installed sabayon as having a slow boot up time, as well.
    DVD installed is pretty fast for me...first boot installed is always slow...as well as the live CD....

I have been in communication with the Sabayon devs and the new release due out in a matter of days will have a faster boot.

Again, I have no complaints about boot time I have found it faster then any other OS....

These guys are always improving perfection.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

So that live cd boot is not just me? I thought it borked on my hardware. We are talking "molasses moves faster than the Sabayon DVD."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by justin whitaker View Post
    So that live cd boot is not just me? I thought it borked on my hardware. We are talking "molasses moves faster than the Sabayon DVD."
    sounds like a hardware problem or simple user error