Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GoblinX Talk

Beans

Re: GoblinX Talk

Quote Originally Posted by DJiNN View Post
    This thread is quite old now, but what the heck.... i'm gonna ask anyway.

Has anyone tried the latest version of Goblinx? I was thinking of D/L & having a go. Two editions, Premium & standard. I guess the premium has "More" on it?

Anyway, if anyone (RAV?) has any info on this distro i'd be very interested.

DJiNN
    GoblinX is based on SLAX/Slackware just like Wolvix and Zenwalk.

GoblinX believes beauty is a necessity so you will find it to be one of the most beautiful distros out there, they especially like to make use of fractals , so it has a very futuristic , almost sci-fi kind of look.

If you like SLAX, Slackware, Zenwalk, or Wolvix and you like visual beauty you'll love GoblinX

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    GoblinX is based on SLAX/Slackware just like Wolvix and Zenwalk.

GoblinX believes beauty is a necessity so you will find it to be one of the most beautiful distros out there, they especially like to make use of fractals , so it has a very futuristic , almost sci-fi kind of look.

If you like SLAX, Slackware, Zenwalk, or Wolvix and you like visual beauty you'll love GoblinX
    Love all the Slack derivatives, and currently use Zenwalk quite a bit, and also delving into Wolvix, and i've just D/L the latest SLAX RC...... i think that counts as a big YES!!

I looked at the site & the artwork is amazing.... so yeah, i think i may like this one. I wonder if it's installable to HD or USB like Wolvix..... that would be cool.

Well, i'm just about to find out because i'm burning it to CD right now......

Thanks RAV, appreciate the info.

DJiNN
    Registered Linux user: #413753 | Ubuntu user: #7595
    | Tiny Me | antiX | Zenwalk |

Beans

Love all the Slack derivatives, and currently use Zenwalk quite a bit, and also delving into Wolvix, and i've just D/L the latest SLAX RC...... i think that counts as a big YES!!

I looked at the site & the artwork is amazing.... so yeah, i think i may like this one. I wonder if it's installable to HD or USB like Wolvix..... that would be cool.

Well, i'm just about to find out because i'm burning it to CD right now......

Thanks RAV, appreciate the info.

DJiNN
    Good Welcome,

btw GoblinX was made with MySlax Creator just like Wolvix,....if you want to and you really like SLAX/Slackware based distros, simply build your own...

http://myslax.bonsonno.org/

after building Oz with rBuilder I have considered building other distros

1. Oz built with rBuilder based on rPath/RedHat

then build another with

2. MySLAX Creator based on SLAX/Slackware
    3. Morphix based on Knoppix/Debian (used by Dreamlinux and elive)
    4. Linux From Scratch based on,.....well Linux (like Yoper)
    5. etc, etc, etc.

Many have adviced I stay focused on Oz development, so I have heeded there advice....

I encourage everybody to build and develop your own distro, that is the beauty of Linux, the freedom to develop your own distro...

Anyway not to diverge from the main topic; here is a list of other distros built with MySLAX Creator or simply based on SLAX/Slackware:

Adrenalinux

Adrenalinux is a live distribution CD in Spanish language, based on Slax LiveCD. It includes KDE, Firefox, Gaim, KOffice, SMB4K, xmms and more applications can be installed from Repositorio Adrenalinux.

AliXe

AliXe ICE edition is a bilingual live CD (in English and French), based on SLAX Popcorn. The window manager is IceWM with GTK+ applications included.

All In One USB SLAX.zip

All In One USB SLAX.zip is a simple compressed zip of the latest version SLAX specifically made for USB flash drive installation. Also included in the zip is a custom one button syslinux installer that allows you to make the USB drive bootable via Windows XP through a simple one button menu.

BackTrack

BackTrack is a live Slax-based distribution with many functional information security and penetration testing tools. It is built by the creators of the estimable Whoppix and Auditor Live CDs.

DNALinux

DNALinux is a Linux LiveCD with Bioinformatics software included. This distro is based on SLAX but include programs like BLAST and EMBOSS. DNALinux is made by Genes Digitales and Quilmes National University, Argentina.

Gnu-HALO Project

GNU-Halo Live CD is an experimental Linux distribution that takes some new and some old-but-rarely-used ideas regarding Operating System Layout, User Interface Design and System Security and puts them all together in one package.

GoblinX

GoblinX is directed towards desktop users and features customized desktops: KDE, Xfce and Enlightenment (window manager). GoblinX contains some of the most often used applications for Linux.

LG3D LiveCD

LG3D LiveCD is a SLAX-based LiveCD using Sun's Project Looking Glass 3D desktop environment. It is mainly intended for demonstration purposes and contains only a small selection of software. It is possible to install it onto a 256 MB USB flash drive. To run it, you will need a supported video card (most recent NVidia cards will do; full-screen mode is disabled with ATI cards).

Open Source Free CD

Open Source Free CD contains a compilation of high quality Open Source (and some Freeware) software for Windows. Also included on the CD is a bootable Slax Linux LiveCD.

Physics-Live CD

Physics-Live CD is based on Slax livecd. It contains many physical simulations created by using c, gtk and glade. The physical simulations are taken from author's research and from the internet. This livecd is useful for learning and teaching physics and research in physics.

Planktum

Planktum Slax tailored in a not technical show-off, but with the intention to allow a fast, versatile and "slimmed" Spanish-English system that simplifies the boot process, and that includes a friendly graphical user interface(GUI) following a design that comes close to the visual culture of the target group of users to whom it is addressed i.e. Immigrants. There is an intention to distribute copies of Planktum around marginalized communities, be it Africans, Latinos, Chinese etc. Users are met with a graphical environment that includes 4 basic icons on the desktop, all leading to communication applications (present version includes Skype, WebBrowser, Email Client and an Instant Messaging application).

Sauver OS

Sauver is simple to use and very useful for recovering deleted files and performing various other day to day activities. Includes GUI tools for Installing Wi-fi Drivers, Creating SWAP Files, Recovering Deleted files, Partition Manager and various others. The Sauver specific programs (Undelete GUIs, Wireless Manager, Save Settings, Sauver. Office) are the work of a single person, Maulik Gordhandas.

SCLive

SystemC-Live is similar to Knoppix, but based on Slax and Slackware. It features the SystemC OSCI simulation kernel, the required g++ compilers and libraries, and an integrated development environment, debugger, and waveform viewer. Additionally, the distribution features essential utilities to make it a useful working environment such as a Web browser, a file manager, and more.

Shiba

Shiba is a lightweight variant of SLAX in French language, using the IceWM window manager.

SimpleSlax

SimpleSlax is a variant SLAX LiveCD designed to be small at 114 MB and lightweight for use with older hardware. Derived from Popcorn Edition 5.1.8, it features clean and efficient default settings along with USBview, Dillo web browser, Iceweasel 1.5.0.7 with Flash 9.0.28, Mousepad text editor, ePDFView 0.1.6 portable document reader, and modified scripts to load quickly (autologin) and function on machines with a minimal 233 MHz processor and as little as 64 MB RAM. Support notes and documentation included on project page.

Slax-LFI

Slax-LFI is a small Rescue-CD in French language that includes KDE with GParted, PartImage, Clamav, Mozilla Firefox, K3b, KOffice.

Sla-game-ax

Sla-game-ax is a 3D Gaming LiveCD based on Slax 5.0.6. The games included on the CD are: Quake3 demo, Quake2 demo, Cube, Tuxkart, Doom Legacy, and Chromium.

SLAMPP

SLAMPP is a live Slax-based distribution configured to be a home server.

Slast

Slast is a live Slax-based distribution created by the Infonomicon Computer Club that is designed to be a on-demand Asterisk system. The CD contains an Asterisk module that loads configuration files upon boot up that allows a user to make any PC connected to an Internet connection into their Asterisk PBX.

Slax AoE

Slax AoE LiveCD is a bootable CD with ATA over Ethernet (AoE) target and initiator programs. It can be used as an AoE server or client. It is based on Slax Frodo Edition with some modifications needed to simplify use of AoE. ATA over Ethernet (AoE) is a network protocol designed for accessing ATA storage devices over Ethernet networks.

Slax-Tiki Live CD

TikiWiki Live CD is based on SLAX Server Edition and TikiWiki CMS/Groupware. The CD contains everything you need to start your computer and go directly to using your own installation of Tiki.

TeaM-TL

TeaM-TL is yet another LiveCD Linux distribution based on Slax. TeaM-TL (TeXLive in LinuxLive) aspires to become the most comprehensive Linux LiveCD-based implementation of TeX.
    The main goal of TeaM-TL is to produce an all-in-one environment for TeXing with the right tools within a modern operating system. All software comes ready-to-use on one standard, bootable optical disk, be it CD, DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray format.
    Another goal is the promotion of TeX. As a bonus, when TeXing, the user can listen to music, surf the Web and read email, among other activities.
    For beginners, TeaM-TL is the easiest way to discover the wonderful world of TeX. The user does not have to add fonts and packets, or wrongly configure TeX features and editords. TeX-nicians have in their shirt pockets a ready-to-use, powerful TeX Linux LiveCD distro for use anywhere. One needs only a PC with a CD drive to begin TeXing.
    Monika, a mathematician, and Tomek, an electrician, two Polish self-professed "computer nerds" who love Linux and TeX, develop and maintain TeaM-TL.

Wifislax

Wifislax is a Spanish language distribution, based on SLAX and BackTrack, integrating drivers of ipw2200 and rt73 chipsets, for new USB cards with ralink chipset, and the new PCI cards with rt61 chipset. In addition it is equipped with the necessary patches for the acceleration of the data transfer.

Wolvix

Wolvix is a LiveCD Linux distribution based on Slax. The latest version release, 1.0.5, comes in two editions, Cub and Hunter. Wolvix Cub is designed to fit on a 256 MB USB stick. Wolvix Hunter fits on a 512 MB USB stick.
    There are three editions of the earlier version release, 1.0.4; Desktop Edition (DE), Games Edition (GE), and Media Edition (ME). Wolvix DE is a full featured distribution with up to date open source software including OpenOffice 2 for office productivity, Bluefish (text editor) for web development and Firefox for the web browser. Yet this distribution is fairly light weight at 461 MB in size. See the Wolvix web site for a complete list. Wolvix GE is loaded with fifty games, but weighs in at only 478 MB in size. In addition to software for daily tasks, Wolvix ME has a variety of video and audio software such as CD and DVD rippers and encoders, and audio and video editing programs.
    Like Slax, Wolvix distributions are bootable from an appropriately sized USB drive. Wolvix's ISOs can also be modified using MySlax Creator
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slax
    Last edited by RAV TUX; May 6th, 2007 at 07:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

WoW RAV..... where do i start!? ;D

Thanks for that incredible reply...... There are plenty of distros there to be looking at for sure! I didn't realise that there were so many distros based on the SLAX one. That's kinda neat eh?

I encourage everybody to build and develop your own distro, that is the beauty of Linux, the freedom to develop your own distro...
    I can see that it would be a great way to learn about Linux, but i really can't see the point (for me personally i mean). I don't have the time, i'm not sure if i want to delve that deep, and there are so many good distros out there that i'm quite literally "Spoilt for choice!" ;D

I did have a play around with Morphix (re-morphing Morphix?) and while it's fun, i don't think i'll be doing any more than playing around with it. I really loved the Morphix releases though.... they're just soooo funky and always work well, especially on older system with less RAM & Horsepower!

But if i ever find myself with a few months with absolutely nothing to do....... yeah, you never know........ maybe i'll do just that!

Re: Goblinx.... i just tried running both the LiveCD's, but for some strange reason they just won't go all the way..... X is playing up! But i'm going to try on another machine..... i've got to boot it up and see what it looks like, just once at least!

How are things going with Oz? I haven't downloaded & tried it out yet, but it's on my "todo" list.

Thanks for the list of distros RAV..... i'm going to check a few of them out over the coming weeks & see what they're like. I already fired Wolvix up & have to say that it's probably one of the best SLAX based ones that i've seen so far. VERY fast, and i just LOVE that Wolvix Control Panel......

DJiNN

Beans

WoW RAV..... where do i start!? ;D

How are things going with Oz? I haven't downloaded & tried it out yet, but it's on my "todo" list.

Thanks for the list of distros RAV..... i'm going to check a few of them out over the coming weeks & see what they're like. I already fired Wolvix up & have to say that it's probably one of the best SLAX based ones that i've seen so far. VERY fast, and i just LOVE that Wolvix Control Panel......

DJiNN
    Oz is all good, I don't want to talk much about Oz here so please stop by the CafeLinux.org Forum and check things out, join up and post for more 411.

http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php

I agree with you that Wolvix is not only one of the best SLAX based distos but also one of the best Linux distros out, Wolven has done an awesome job.

The Wolvix control panel rocks!

Anyway I hope to see you at CafeLinux.org, and if you get a chance try Oz and let me know what you think.

I honestly had trouble with GoblinX also, wish is disappointing because it is inspirational.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    Oz is all good, I don't want to talk much about Oz here so please stop by the CafeLinux.org Forum and check things out, join up and post for more 411.

http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php
    Thanks RAV, i'll do that. Just fired up the URL so i'll go take a look right after i've finished this.

I agree with you that Wolvix is not only one of the best SLAX based distos but also one of the best Linux distros out, Wolven has done an awesome job.
    The more that i play around with it, the more i really like it, and also the fact that you can use standard Slack packages now is a real boost for Wolvix. He has indeed done an awesome job and i'd agree that it's definitely on of the best SLAX distros. Of every one i've tried so far, it's the only one that's pretty much found everything, looked great from the start and just worked really well, without any issues.

The Wolvix control panel rocks!
    Heehee..... it's pretty amazing isn't it? I think it adds soooo much to the appeal & usability of Wolvix.

Anyway I hope to see you at CafeLinux.org, and if you get a chance try Oz and let me know what you think.
    I'll D/L today & give it a try sometime this week, and i already have the CafeLinux page up ready & waiting.

I honestly had trouble with GoblinX also, wish is disappointing because it is inspirational.
    That's exactly what i thought...... it really looks as if it could be great. But there are just so many issues with it. I've tried it on 3 separate machines here now, and it's had problems with each one, "X" being one of the major issues. Shame, because it looks promising.

Again, this is where Wolvix scores highly. Each one of the machines that i tried (& failed) with Goblinx, installed Wolvix without any problems whatsoever.

DJiNN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123