Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Download YouTube Stereo MP3s

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Download YouTube Stereo MP3s

hmm
    i just tried my method of ripping sound from .flv files with VLC on linux for the first time.. oddly it didn't work!

works fine in winblows though.. i wouldn't expect there to a difference(?!)

edit: yeah, i just tried with the same flv file from last.fm first on ubuntu, then on windows XP pro. it works on XP, but not ubuntu.

the steps are:
    1. open VLC player
    2. File>Wizard...
    3. Select "Transcode/Save to file" - next
    4. "Choose..." then select the .flv file that you got using DownloadHelper - next
    5. Check the box for Transcode Audio, set it to MP3 and set the bitrate to 192 - next
    6. IMPORTANT - select MPEG 1 as your encapsulation method - next
    7. save the file as <name> .mpg

now, repeat all of those steps on the mpg file that you just created, only this time select RAW as your encapsulating method and save the file with an MP3 extension.

done. from internet video to your car stereo.
    it seems like a lot of steps but its actually not so bad once you get a flow going.

BUT... for some dumb reason this isn't working on linux... it must have something to do with the method that the linux version of VLC player is creating the MP3 file..

so hopefully someone here figures it out...
    Last edited by Gripp; June 25th, 2008 at 01:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Post Re: HOWTO: Download YouTube Stereo MP3s

Script fixed for hardy/8.04 and the latest YouTube setup.

Requirements

First do this:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install xulrunner ffmpeg lame mpg123 ecasound youtube-dl
    Then restart the system to make sure ecasound starts correctly.

Script

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Bash script to convert YouTube Video to Simulated Stereo MP3
    #
    # Public Domain
    # Contributors: Supermike, Crouse, Kai Vehmanen, Chriss.Hi, John-Michael Mulesa
    #
    mkdir -p ~/mp3;cd ~/mp3
    read -p "YouTube URL: " ur
    read -p "Filename: " nv
    echo;echo;
    youtube-dl "${ur}" -o /tmp/y.flv
    ffmpeg -i /tmp/y.flv -f mp3 -vn -acodec copy "/tmp/${nv}.mp3"
    ecasound -i "/tmp/${nv}.mp3" -etf:8 -o "${nv}.mp3"
    echo;echo;
    rm -f "/tmp/${nv}.mp3"
    echo "File is saved in your home directory in the 'mp3' folder."
    read
    CPU: A64 3200+ | RAM: 1gb // DDR400 | Video: GF7600GS/GF4MX440 | Mobo: DFI NF3-250gb | altOS: Win7Beta
    CPU: C2D T5500 | RAM: 2gb // DDR2-667 | Video: GeForce Go 7600 | Model: HP dv9035nr | altOS:Win7Beta

Beans

Thanks so much, macmasterxiv
    SuperMike
    When in doubt, follow the penguins.
    Evil Kitty is watching you

Beans

It Doesnt work for me. it says it is saved but nothing is in the folder.
    i am using the mediaconverter.org plugin for firefox but i only lets you do 10 downloads a day. so i was looking for something else

Beans

I Got It Working. but can we change the code to just keep the audio the exact same as from the youtube file. i can tell the slight change when the volume is all the way up. can i just comment out a few lines? if so which ones

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TCSnyder View Post
    I Got It Working. but can we change the code to just keep the audio the exact same as from the youtube file. i can tell the slight change when the volume is all the way up. can i just comment out a few lines? if so which ones
    The audio you get from YT is mono. The command line that uses ecasound converts from mono to a simulated stereo (which sometimes is not so perfect). This is the one you'll want to comment out with a # symbol on the first line. However, what you get then is just mono.

Now, if you're creative, and you interact with the community that maintains the ecasound community on the web (Google that) and you'll find ways to improve the ecasound command in certain cases, even doing better than the work I have done with it. For instance, do you hear a hum when you turn it up? If so, then perhaps you can use the ecasound command to isolate it and pull it out. Or, do you hear bass gets clipped after so many decibels and you want to prevent that? These are two examples that I've made up, but where ecasound can be used to craft that sound.
    SuperMike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey there. Just thought I would pop in and report how this all worked out for me. (glad to finally have it working now)

Im running Hardy, and the initial program here:
    http://code.google.com/p/yt2mp3/
    had that same issue repeatedly mentioned earlier by others where it would say the video was downloaded and the file should be in the mp3 folder, however it was nowhere to be found.

This was tried on my first install of hardy, and I eventually gave up on it and left the project on the back burner. Then after upgrading to Intrepid I tested this out again but the same problem. Though, Intrepid has horrible sound issues, so even if the program worked fine, I'd suspect additional issues caused by it anyway. XD

Since then I've wiped and made a completely fresh install of Hardy and had the same trouble.

However, I read through all the posts to try every suggestion the first time and this time as well (so many posts lol!) but no luck-- until I got to the one posted by macmasterxiv.

Now it works like a charm.

Thanks so much for working so hard on this project, guys. I'm so glad to have this working now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh-- sorry, and one last note if it helps any, I tried http://code.google.com/p/yt2mp3/ with both the US and UK YouTube links
    (like http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1CLxxraxE versus http://youtube.com/watch?v=6y1CLxxraxE )
    just to see if it made any difference. This made no difference in any of my tests. The current working suggestion has no trouble with either and the problematic initial tests wouldn't work with either.

Beans

BTW, if you want to switch your YouTube videos to stereo, if they were uploaded in stereo in the first place, just go to your address line of the video and tack on the following option:

&fmt=18

Again, this doesn't work with all videos because some were uploaded in mono. Meanwhile, if you do use this option, then yt2mp3 will still not grab the stereo version because yt2mp3 ALWAYS runs this through the 'ecasound' command to convert mono to simulated stereo.

So, for me, I go back to command line for now because I don't have the time right now to update yt2mp3 everytime YouTube wants to change things. So, what I do is:

$ sudo su
    # cd /tmp
    # rm -i /tmp/Flash*

...now go to YouTube and click on the video you want. Next, tack on &fmt=18 on the end and hit enter on the address line in your browser. Wait until the red tube fills up to indicate the video completely downloaded.

# cp Flash* song.flv
    # ffmpeg -i song.flv song.mp3

...and now I move song.mp3 to whatever and use chown on it to give me the proper permissions to that file.

Now, if the song ends up being mono, you can see in this thread how I use ecasound to convert into simulated stereo. If it's already in stereo, then you can use an ID3 editor to put in the genre, album name, song title, artist name, etc. For me, I use an older copy of Beep Media Player (not the latest version because I think the overhaul they did completely sucks -- I use bmp from the Hardy distro).

BTW, this technique also works with Pandora and many other video and song sites on the web.
    SuperMike

Beans

I saw about the code earlier but I dont seem do know how to work with it pls explain ( i am new...)
    Last edited by telemah; December 7th, 2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Stupidity

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast