Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious: Linux migration from Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Curious: Linux migration from Windows

Hi,

I'm curious about finding out about people's migration from Windows to Linux.

For me it began sometime during the first quarter of 2005. I was fed up with Windows and saw Knoppix a few months before and decided to switch. I bought a second hard-drive, and installed SuSE, it was great, though not without it's problems. As time went on I installed Fedora, Slackware, Linspire, Debian, Mandrake, XandrOS, and SimplyMEPIS. Now, I'm running XUbuntu--and loving it.

While (in my humble opinion) Linux is somewhat over-hyped, many core capabilities of it are far superior to windows and significantly outweigh the few (very few) things microsoft got right. I haven't booted windows in a long time, except to post to this forum when I briefly had a minor Internet problem after installing XUbuntu and to play the occasional windows-only game like Splinter Cell and Bloodrayne. If I can only figure out how to use WINE to it's fullest (for game play) and learn to write convincing letters to game developers (so that they'll write games that will run on Linux as well as windows), I hope to dump windows for good and stick to Linux permanently--preferably XUbuntu.

Bottom line, despite the odd hiccup here and there my migration to Linux was quite enjoyable and to use windows full time again makes my stomach churn.

How about you? What's your experience?
    Last edited by RAV TUX; January 4th, 2007 at 12:07 PM. Reason: ;-)

Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. --Christopher Hitchens

Beans

Re: Curious: Linux migration from Windows

linux definitely hurts in the gaming department

Beans
    Hidden!

When I got my first OWN PC, I didn't have an OS to go with it, and having used Xebian and Gentoox on the XBOX, I was comfortable enough to just use GNU/Linux on the PC.

There was nothing I really needed in windows, and I became a permanent linux user from then on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Just migrated to Ubuntu from windows, and the transition has been pretty much flawless.
    Linux is a far superior operating system.
    Registered Linux User #440299
    Registered Ubuntu User #11326

Perfectly executed G - Peep.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I used to play a fair bit of games; but since I switched to linux a while back; I've been going more to programming and other things, and actually don't have time to even miss the games. It's been so worth the putting up of learning and breaking things over and over...NO MORE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I definitely like not having to deal with viruses, spy ware, worms, root kits, pop ups, WGA etc but I still boot to windows for driver related reasons. Such as...

Printing transparencies. My Linux printer driver doesn't give me any control over the amount of toner deposited or the baking temperature.

I can only use windows to download software to my Pod proxt because Line6 doesn't do Linux at all.

I get a similar feeling in my stomach every time I have to go there. I'd like to delete MS from my HD but unfortunately I own hardware which prevents me from doing so.

When I buy hardware in future I'll definitely be checking that it comes with fully featured Linux drivers wherever possible.

I got into Linux because I couldn't stand Windows ME. It has been frustrating at times, but I don't regret giving up Windows.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I am still using Windows because I've paid for it.....

Linux problematic for gameplay, but as only my son plays games in this household the games are adequately handled by a PS2 (for now.......) so it's not a problem here anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I'm dual booting with Ubuntu at the moment. Mainly use Ubuntu for daily stuff. Haven't completely switched yet(still linux noob), cause I might need to do some things that I haven't been able to do in Linux yet (and Media Player Classic is so much more comfortable for me to use), but I'm happy using Ubuntu(though I'll be a lot happier when I understand how the file system works )

And I've been booting into Windows XP this week, cause I need to use VC++ at work, so I'm using it to learn(*sigh). But all in all, Ubuntu's been a lot of fun for me, I'm looking forward to more Ubuntu

Kinson

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I made the switch about a week after Edgy was released. Up till then I was running Windows 98 on my net machine, but was tired of all the viruses etc that go with what is now an unsupported OS.

Now I am running Xubuntu 6.10 and am having a blast, my system runs and looks better than it ever did under Win98, and is a lot more secure to boot.

Gaming wise, well I have heard of people having some good results running World Of Warcraft under Wine recently, so when I get around to rebuilding the broken mess that was my gaming system I shall undoubtedly give it a chance. If performance is acceptable then that will be the end of Microsofts favourite OS on my systems

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast