Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious: Linux migration from Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Curious: Linux migration from Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
    OK, I'm not an economist, but I won't be sinking any more costs into keeping Microsoft afloat!

Just can't abide throwing out something I've paid for that still works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

One of my hard drives has windows xp installed on it. But I don't think of it as windows anymore. Instead, I call it 'wintendo'. Because all I do is use it for playing games that don't run natively in Linux. And the good thing about it is, compared to a gaming console, I have access to the extra power and performance that the PC can provide (though I think this gap has narrowed a lot now, to be fair).

Plus I can also use it to run other things in the unlikely event they don't work in Linux - eg. my scanner stopped working in recent releases of xsane, and I can't be bothered researching howtos and compiling a custom version from CVS (which may or may not work) to fix it up. But that's the only thing besides games which 'wintendo' is doing (which is more than a console can do) - everything else works, and works better, in Linux.

You ask, 'why don't you use wine/cedega to run games?' Well, I used to, but I got sick of all the recurring breakage, and the usual lack of support for features like surround sound, not to mention all that time-guzzling confubulating to get most games to work in the first place, that I decided it just wasn't worth it. Plus I already had my wintendo (sunk cost notwithstanding), and therefore leaving Linux games to Linux, and the rest to wintendo made more sense in terms of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid that is).

In any case, I think we just have to accept that, realistically, Linux is not a gaming platform, and that nothing Linux users/developers say or do is going to change that any time soon (same with nvidia and open source drivers). But this need not be such a big deal, because the PC is dying as a gaming platform anyway. Consoles are rapidly hammering in the coffin nails. And I've already told myself I won't be buying a 'wintendo vista' for at least 12 months, by which time I will probably have also convinced myself to switch to consoles for gaming. Then it really will be bye-bye windows.

So all you Linux users/windows gamers take heart. Relax. Look in the mirror and take a deep breath. Now repeat after me - 'It's not Windows, it's a wintendo. It's not Windows, it's a wintendo.' Internalise this mantra, and you'll be on the path to nirvana before you know it.
    Last edited by pseudonym; December 25th, 2006 at 04:48 PM.
    AMD Athlon64 X2 5600 on Abit KN9 Ultra nForce 570
    2GB Corsair TwinX DDR2-800
    Gigabyte ATI HD4850 1GB on ASUS PW201 20" WS LCD
    Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit / Wintendo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    I call it 'wintendo'.
    hehehe, I like that name. It's perfect!
    How to install and run Photoshop 7 or earlier in wine
    Switched to Linux completely 1 January 2007 Ahh, a solid year of freedom
    My Website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Shay Stephens View Post
    hehehe, I like that name. It's perfect!
    Thanks. I guess it has more of a ring to it than 'winstation', 'wincube', or 'winxbox'
    AMD Athlon64 X2 5600 on Abit KN9 Ultra nForce 570
    2GB Corsair TwinX DDR2-800
    Gigabyte ATI HD4850 1GB on ASUS PW201 20" WS LCD
    Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit / Wintendo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have two computers: one running Fedora Core 6 and one running XP. I made the switch to Linux a couple months ago. It was easy to set up an HTTP server using Xampp. My programs run faster and I have a lot more RAM free due to Linux's small footprint. I intend to install XUbuntu on my laptop after work to replace my last copy of Windows, as I found out earlier today that Wine supports the game I want to play. My other big gaming concern was emulation for old consoles on Linux; turns out that FCEU runs on Linux, too.

On top of all this, I've built all but one of my past PCs; I won't have to sink another couple hundred dollars into an OS. My girlfriend's been playing w/ Fedora on my PC and she's going to make the switch over to XUbuntu on her PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I got to a point where I knew as much as I could legally learn about Windows without writing programs. I wanted to get a Mac an move on, but did not have the $$'s. One of my friends kept harping on me to use FOSS rather than proprietary software. I asked him about Linux and he told me to just pick one and play around. I had no idea what he was talking about. I went to Wikipedia and started going down the distros. When I found out about osdir.com I started to download what ever screen shot I thought looked good. If it did nto work, I loaded Kubuntu and started over. Kubuntu was my staple. I quickly learned that I did not like KDE, switched to Ubuntu and built a PC to play with. I soon realized that I did not use Windows any more. If I needed to do something for school, I used Ubuntu and then moved it to my MS machine to get it on the school website. I went out a bought a new laptop, put Ubuntu on it and have enjoyed it ever since. I still use MS on my desk top and I sold the PC I built. Now I run 4 PCs, the MS desktop for school, the Mac for my wife and the Ubuntu laptop for me. I am always running a 4th, as I am upgrading someone to Ubuntu, or building one to sell or give away for charity depending on the situation.

A funny note: I did not really play many PC games until switching to Linux. Now I play way too much. Only if they work on Ubuntu though.

Another funny note, my friend does not use Linux. After learning as much as I could from him and started teach him about stuff he confessed that he used MS. He had used Debian until he got the money to by XP, then switched as he thought Linux was not ready for the desktop. If you are wondering, yes I hit him and thanked him anyway. He switched for World of Warcraft. Sad but true.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Moved to a more appropriate forum

Beans

I officially made the switch about a week ago, in part for learning experience and in part for the sheer pleasure of giving Bill the finger. Starting over at the bottom of the learning curve is a downer, but all in all I'm really enjoying linux. Once I get my windows-only printer working and get Samba configured right, I'll be one happy puppy...er, penguin.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nice thread
    I'm in the middle of a switch from XP to ubuntu and it's been a nice and easy experience - nothing dramatic, that is, nothing that wasn't solved after a few posts here - usually within an hour from posting my question.
    I have used w2k for quite some years and was reasonably satisfied. My new notebook, though, came with an OEM XP. It turns out that this new baby is actually in many instances SLOWER than my two year old one running w2k. It takes 5-6 minutes booting and often 20-30 sek or more for application startup. What makes this even worse is that w2k running in a virtual vmware player runs faster than the hosting XP.
    I first tried to install w2k but the drivers absolutely wouldn't install under w2k. I'm pretty sure this is a business decision rather than a technical one.
    But I simply couldn't accept that a dual core T7400 would be that slow so I decided to give linux a go.
    I did som initial testing in the beginning of december experiencing, some problems did occur - but every time the annoyances of XP kept me to it.

A week ago I did this install - and now, after a week it is already becoming my main working environment.
    Ubuntu is easy to install compared to XP. XP took a little over an hour to install and 3-4 hours to install the drivers. Then some days installing all my usual applications and tweaking etc. Ubuntu installs in less in than an hour and then all my usual applications are already installed and ready to use, my usual hardware is recongnized (except the screen - but that was soon fixed) especially wireless was the easiest I have yet experienced. It boots quickly, runs fast, applications opens almost instantly, highly qualified help is ready at hand. I really like this. Why ubuntu? Well, installed opensuse 10.2 didn't like the look and feel.

An interesting aside: my old mom is complaining about windows (XP that is) and talks about the good old days of win98 'because if everything else failed, you could always open a dos prompt and fix things'. I begin to think that she too is ready for Linux.

Beans

Linux rocks in some departments but it seriously lacks in many areas windows has covered.
    rocks:
    *the financial department
    *the ability to be modified go Open Source!
    sucks:
    *number of GUI tools
    *File permissions
    *stability (i know I'm gonna get shot now but for me it's true)
    *professional and speciality tools
    *games (yeah WINE all ya want)
    *compatibility

overall i think Ubuntu is good for general use but if there's something advanced (other than programing ) it just can't do it. (examples: photo shop, Avid, arc view, flame, smoke, Quick Books, EAC, Foobar, etc ...and speciality software for your cellphone or cameras )

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast