Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: closed source, what's the big deal?

Beans

Re: closed source, what's the big deal?

I won't try to convince you that the patent system isn't broken. It certainly does seem to violate the original intent of putting technology into the hands of the people while still giving an incentive to inventors. But, software is not different. You can get patents in almost every field with practically no research, ideas only. There are companies that exist with this as their sole purpose. I'll give one example. My favorite is carboxylic acids (citric, lactic, etc.) claimed in combination with anything. Patents issue every day claiming some novelty in mixing carboxylic acids with something else. People have used those since the dawn of civilization, it's ridiculous. How that meets the legal definition of "novelty" I don't know. And yes I have at least one of them and it still seems stupid.

Beans

in a PERFECT world (this is an utopia, i know) computers shouldn't be a business.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Hidden!

I believe, if you can't see it, smell it, hear it, taste it, or feel it, it shouldn't be patented, just like you can't patent air.

Beans

Also remember that free software is free as in "free speech" and not "free beer" . You are "allowed" to modify software and then selling it, you just can't hide the source code
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12