Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows Icons to Linux (converting)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Windows Icons to Linux (converting)

great tutorial

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Windows Icons to Linux (converting)

Quote Originally Posted by Gen2ly View Post
    This is an Update, I preserved the original below.

I found a much better method to make your Icons on Windows available on your Linux Box, and easier too. The prior method would disguise the .ico file as a .png, completely ignoring multiple layers hidden therein. This also made the .png impossible to edit in gimp. Well, I stumbled upon a much better way to have your icons converted. First we'll need icoutils.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install icoutils
    Icoutils contains four programs, the two most likely you'll use though are wrestool and icotool. Whatis reveals what these programs do

icotool (1) - Convert and create Win32 icon and cursor files
    wrestool (1) - extract resources from Microsoft Windows(R) binaries (exe's and dlls) I assume ``extresso'' automates these tasks with the help of special resource scripts.

You can use icotool to see what types of icons are available in an .ico file:

Code:
    icotool -l Emoticon.ico
    You'll see a list like this:

Code:
    --icon --index=1 --width=32 --height=32 --bit-depth=8 --palette-size=256
    --icon --index=2 --width=16 --height=16 --bit-depth=8 --palette-size=256
    --icon --index=3 --width=128 --height=128 --bit-depth=32 --palette-size=0
    --icon --index=4 --width=48 --height=48 --bit-depth=32 --palette-size=0
    --icon --index=5 --width=32 --height=32 --bit-depth=32 --palette-size=0
    --icon --index=6 --width=16 --height=16 --bit-depth=32 --palette-size=0
    In this case it showed six different sizes, I believe this is standard for XP (and Vista??).

If you want to extract all the icons in the .ico file and converts them to .png:

Code:
    icotool -x -o . BootCamp_Drive.ico
    This will extract the six icons listed above in Emoticon.ico. -x signifies extract while -o directs icotool to an output directory, in this case "." or the same directory.

You will notice that the eight bit depth icons won't carry a proper alpha layer and have a black layer about them. You probably won't need the eight bit depth icons and they dont' need to be extracted. To extract an entire directory ignoring eight bit icons cd into it and just do:

Code:
    icotool -x --palette-size=0 -o /home/user/Desktop/seperate-directory *.ico
    Ignoring the 256 colored (eight bit) icons, use the palette size of 0 to specify 24 bit and 32 bit. You also noticed it isn't a bad idea to use a separate output directory.

Thats is. Enjoy!

I know it is really late to be joining, but tried your tuto and got some errors; found a way around it and I'm posting it in order to help others.

This is the instruction that gave me problems and also the key to converting all the files:
    Code:
    icotool -x --palette-size=0 -o /home/user/Desktop/seperate-directory *.ico
    The easy way is to open the terminal in the folder where you have your icons,
    Code:
    (sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal)
    Reboot your pc, and then open said folder and right click on an empty space inside it; open terminal here

then:
    Code:
    eduardo@eduardo-desktop:~/Escritorio/Alienware Breed$ icotool -x -o . *.ico
    And presto! now all you have to do is use them.
    Last edited by novatotal; April 13th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
    WHY MY TAXES GO TO Mr GATES BANK ACCOUNT?
    e machines pentium d 925 3.0Ghz/2x2MB L2 cache/800Mhz FSB, SATAII 320GB/7200RPM/8 MB cache, intel GMA950, LCD 17"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123