Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Apple/Mac OS X?

Beans

Re: Why does the Linux community HATE Apple?

That's a nice story, but it doesn't have much to do with the current market and apple's highly questionable buisness practices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Arktis
    Please forgive me, but that's extremely naive of you to think. Microsoft does it's level best to dominate the market and get your money. Bottom line. They want their products to be unavoidable in as many aspects of life as possible, and have even released press statements to this effect. This equates to an attempt to force their products on you.
    Actually, I think he/she was saying that unlike MIcrosoft, Apple doesn't try to control you or force their products on you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

OSX looks cool. Noone can dispute that...

But they are the reigning kings of DRM!

Beans
    Hidden!

at the time, a mac-mini was not in our budget (bought a house) so i installed linux instead (bored with ME, microsoft's best product ever). since then, i have been to the apple store a few times and have always been disappointed by the sluggishness of the machines. otherwise, i think a mac would be interesting to have. i wonder if osx could be stripped down to more of the bsd elements and make use of a smaller wm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by Sirin
    Actually, I think he/she was saying that unlike MIcrosoft, Apple doesn't try to control you or force their products on you.
    If it's not control then what do they do with their braindead iTunes-software then? ... I don't say that Apple is evil on the whole, but I do think that they are quite good at preventing you from using songs that you do not have stored on your PC.

Beans

Oh, gotcha. I dissagree though.

The most effective buisness model is one in which it's true intent is masked. For example, when you see an iPod commercial, you see the image apple wants to project, they don't just come out and say, "everyone buy this now so we can get your money". They wouldn't really be too successful that way; packaging is 90% of success. The purpose is still the same and the image is a merely means to an end. Apple dominates the sale of online music and the player market and so the net effect is the same. They use DRM, and cool packaging. It amounts to a psychological campaign to get people to mass their money into one area, an area that apple wants to continually control to keep the cashflow coming in to one central location. It's an old game.
    Last edited by Arktis; February 16th, 2006 at 04:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ember
    If it's not control then what do they do with their braindead iTunes-software then?
    It's the most popular because users chose it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

other reason:

Apple is even more committed to proprietary solutions and vendor lock-in than Microsoft; this is one of the reasons, ironically, that my family went for IBM-Compatibles running MS-DOS over Apple computers back when we were buying our first computer back in '86 or '87.

Apple promises a universe where stylish people carry elegant, tightly-sealed Apple hardware, living in a kind of digital utopia where there are no hardware conflicts, driver issues or competing standards. There is only Apple, and Apple's elegant solutions. Anyone else wanting anything different, or, indeed, merely curious to find the workings of the hardware, never mind the software, will be brutally smacked down.

Of course, the iPod-wearing, dancing citizens of Apple's Alphaville are blissfully unaware of their total lack of freedom (in the GNU sense), because they are held in thrall by the overarching power of Steve Jobs' reality distortion field.

The very nature of their business model is anti-GNU.

Beans

It's the most popular because users chose it.
    That's only half of the story though.

I was having a debate with a friend of mine the other day about persuasiveness and how it works. Basicly, we equated it to knowing certain rules and characteristics of people and being able to manipulate them with this knowledge, much like a chemist knows certain physical laws and characteristics and manipulates them to produce a chemical reaction. They are the same in the sense that to carry out a chemical reaction, one doesn't need to manipulate all conditions but just certain key ones, just as to persuade people one must know the key conditions required to carry the desired reaction and does not need to completely control all of them.

They are both involve science and people study both and practice both every day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    OSX looks cool. Noone can dispute that...

But they are the reigning kings of DRM!
    I can. I think OSX looks god awful! I'm all for eye-candy, but brushed metal and aqua are ugly

Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast