Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Slowdown?

Beans

Ubuntu Slowdown?

Why does Linux get slower the more you use it?

After installing applications, boot & app start times noticeably increase, the more I install & the longer I use the PC, the slower it gets. It's a significant slowdown, since the release of Dapper my laptops performance has halved, despite many optimisations from 'make ubuntu run like arch' (see sig).

It's not only Ubuntu, in the short time that I've used Zenwalk 4, it has also been apparent.

Has anyone else noticed this, any comments?

Tony.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu Slowdown?

Never encountered this problem before. I got a lot of stuffs installed in my laptops, from Eclipse, Anjuta, Blender 3D, Google Earth, Firefox 2.0 to Wine with WoW, Dreamweaver, etc....I still feel like my Dapper freshly installed, it works like a charm...But of course, Your Mileage May Vary ...
    .:.:.[)[@[)|2.:.:.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side-effect." -- Linus Torvald.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Very odd suggestion, but are the heatsinks/fans/airways in your laptop clean?

I have to blow the insides of my laptop out fairly regularly with an air can- when my laptop gets too hot, everything slows to a crawl or just plain hangs.
    Bean Count!=Knowledge (see above)
    Microsoft gives you windows, linux gives you the whole house

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

no, it doesn't get any slower on my machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Haslam View Post
    Why does Linux get slower the more you use it?

After installing applications, boot & app start times noticeably increase, the more I install & the longer I use the PC, the slower it gets. It's a significant slowdown, since the release of Dapper my laptops performance has halved, despite many optimisations from 'make ubuntu run like arch' (see sig).

It's not only Ubuntu, in the short time that I've used Zenwalk 4, it has also been apparent.

Has anyone else noticed this, any comments?

Tony.
    The key word here is not the length of use, it is the more you install. Windows does the same thing. I have found that the more you have on the hard drive, the slower a PC will go. You can do things to spead it up, I have added fans and memory to help, but once you get the hard drive half way full, it really seems to loose steam. I could be wrong, but that is my experiance.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d3v1ant_0n3 View Post
    Very odd suggestion, but are the heatsinks/fans/airways in your laptop clean?

I have to blow the insides of my laptop out fairly regularly with an air can- when my laptop gets too hot, everything slows to a crawl or just plain hangs.
    Clean as a whistle, it rarely leaves my desk & doesn't get too hot.

It has seriously slowed down though. I did an Edgy server install on another partition & installed mostly just X & Xfce, it was way slower than what a full Dapper was upon release

Judging by the other replys, I guess something may be deteriorating in my crappy lappy

Tony.

PS. I'm currently typing from Zenwalk running Openbox, even this is slightly slower than what Dapper once was

Tony.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

yeah, i think i would check the hardware, is your swap large enough, do a check on your hard drive and memory, and check it's getting all the power it needs, try a different power adapter and battery if you can.
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lyceum View Post
    The key word here is not the length of use, it is the more you install. Windows does the same thing. I have found that the more you have on the hard drive, the slower a PC will go. You can do things to spead it up, I have added fans and memory to help, but once you get the hard drive half way full, it really seems to loose steam. I could be wrong, but that is my experiance.
    That's what I was originally thinking, but it shouldn't half the performance. My disk is about 75% full with 2 distro's (ubuntu & zenwalk), spanning over 5 partitions.

With little fragmentation & separate home/swap/root partitions, as long is there is free space, surely it shouldn't make that much difference

Tony.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    yeah, i think i would check the hardware, is your swap large enough, do a check on your hard drive and memory, and check it's getting all the power it needs, try a different power adapter and battery if you can.
    My swap is twice that of my RAM
    The usual check on every 30th mount never throws up any errors.
    Regards the memory, would that mem thing in the grub menu suffice (I'll try it anyway)?
    Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with the same piece of junk to swap batteries & leads over.

Cheers

Beans

It seems that I have bad RAM, memtest86 gives an error on test 5 @ 00017ea0f18 - 382MB.

Last edited by ahaslam; December 16th, 2006 at 12:47 AM. Reason: drunken typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast