Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Flash BIOS, The Ubuntu Way

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Flash BIOS, The Ubuntu Way

For those unable to put their files into the floppy image, this guy describes a different approach that might work.

Cheers!

Beans

Is there anyway to fit in the BIOS flash files into the floppy image with the different approch that ivotron suggested.?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hmarkg View Post
    Is there anyway to fit in the BIOS flash files into the floppy image with the different approch that ivotron suggested.?
    The approach that ivotron suggested uses a live CD + usb flash drive.
    I'm a little confused as to what you're specifically asking for there hmarkg, as there are no floppy disks or floppy disk images in ivotron's link there (though there is one for this tutorial).

On a separate but related note, I did discover a very nice utility called flashrom.
    It's in the 8.10 repositories, it lets you flash many BIOSes right from the terminal. I haven't tried it out, but it looks promising.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

What I meant was I do not want to use the CD + USB method...
    Last edited by hmarkg; November 5th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.

Beans

Sorry... But what I meant was I do not want to use the CD + USB methos to flash my BIOS. If you see the HOWTO in the first post:

Unzipping the .EXE

1. Okay. So you've downloaded an .EXE that contains your BIOS manufacturers flash program as well as the new BIOS ROM file. In addition, you'll probably find a Readme.txt file of some sort that will tell you exactly the syntax they want you to use to flash your BiOS. You can then you unzip the .EXE file -- you can grab unzip by going to http://packages.ubuntu.com, selecting your release, and then choosing the unzip application.
    2. If you want a much more robust set of archiving apps, then you can run the following in a terminal (universe and multiverse will need to be enabled. See Enabling Extra Repositories, written by aysiu, for information on how to enable extra repositories)
    Code:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install rar unace unrar p7zip arj unzoo lha libarchive1 libarchive-tar-perl libarchive-zip-perl dpkg-dev

3. The unzipping process would look something like this:
    1. unzip ~/Desktop/hpbios.exe
    2. various files have now been extracted to your Desktop
    3. view the Readme file by issuing cat or less:
    1. cat Readme.txt or less Readme.txt
    4. copy the new flash bios program and the new bios rom to /mnt/temp [1]
    1. [1] (which now should include your flash program and the new BIOS ROM file as well...in addition, there may be other files that you wish to copy over, such as an Autoexec.bat file to automate the process. If you don't want to enter any commands manually upon reboot, then copy over all files that were extracted to your Desktop and make sure they are part of FDOEM.144 located under the /mnt/temp directory. You can check to make sure that all files were copied over successfully by changing directories into /mnt/temp and viewing the newly copied files from the "deflated" .EXE)

5. move to the next step of unmounting the image

I encounter problem when i come to the step where I have to copy the new flash bios program and the new bios rom to /mnt/temp. I can't seem to fit all the files into the /mnt/temp file.

I think there are two more person in this tread is also encountering the same problem. Please help. Many thanks in advance...

Beans

My Laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ45-129TX. These are the files that I got after extracting my .EXE file downloaded from the manufacturer official website.

My problem is that I cannot fit in all the files into /mnt/temp directory. And my question now is if I were to copy only the important files, which are the files..?? I'm running on 64-bit ubuntu 8.10 intrepid (Kernal Linux 2.6.27-7-generic)
    Last edited by hmarkg; November 6th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

Beans

hmarkg, I found that typically hp and compaq (compaq is owned by hp anyway) release windows-only BIOS flash update programs.
    These programs don't usually run in DOS, freedos, reactOS, wine, or perhaps even flashrom for that matter.

I have a hp laptop, and have been unable to update it without having to backup ubuntu, install windows, apply BIOS update, delete windows, restore ubuntu.
    Which is a really big pain to do.
    So, unless there's any other solutions available to you, I recommend you send compaq (hp) an email letting them know that you would like to flash your BIOS without having to purchase / install windows. I send them an email every time I update my BIOS.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

Thanks Rhubarb for the info really appreciate it. I shell have that email send first thing in the morning tomorrow. Thank you.

Beans

Hi hmarkg,
    sorry for the late reply, I normally do not frequent this forum but saw someone was having a bit of trouble so made a quick post to try and help. I don't know of how to flash insyde BIOS the ubuntu way but there are three options I do know of.

1. Windows (using winflash)

2. DOS (using flashit)

3. Using the built-in BIOS crisis recovery

I guess you don't want option 1 so for option 2 you could try downloading here and change as necessary with the BIOS version you require. Note that the included BIOS files are f.11c although they are named the same as f.12. Normally one would use the flash.bat file to flash. AFAIK some of the Acer insyde BIOS updates also provide flashit and might be compatible with the HPs but I've never tried them.

The 3rd option is really for crisis recovery, a flash gone wrong and no longer able to boot. It uses just the BIOS file renamed appropriately (in your case to 30F7.BIN) and placed on a fat16/32 formatted usb flash drive (doesn't need to be bootable). The battery needs to be removed and the adapter power cable disconnected. Place the usb flash drive in any of the usb receptacles then while holding down the 'windows key' and the 'B' key reconnect the power cable and switch on (hope you've got two hands). You can then let go of the keys and hopefully watch the usb being read by the notebook. After the file has been read wait a while and the notebook should switch itself off if everything worked properly. The whole operation from switching on to the notebook shutting down should take about 1 minute.

Note that after f.04 the HP BIOS updates contain two BIOS files, I believe one is for discrete graphics (D) or (DIS) and one for integrated shared memory graphics (U) or (UMA).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Alzyme; November 9th, 2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo - flashit.bat changed to flash.bat

Beans

One question. I am just wondering as i asked my lecturer about this BIOS flashing thing with ubuntu. He said it is very dangerious. If fail i may need to throw my laptop away. My question is that is it safe to do so, this is my first time doing such thing. And if I failed, is it as bad as what my lecturer said. I do not wan to lose the laptop.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast