Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Flash BIOS, The Ubuntu Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Flash BIOS, The Ubuntu Way

I really recommend for noobs to sign on to the #flashrom IRC channel (on irc.freenode in your pidgin or empathy accounts, then add yourself to the #flashrom room) and ask a real person if your chipset is supported or what you need to do. They're helpful and can keep you from messing up your machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hint for acer users:
    On this Page you can download an iso image for a bios update tool, bootable from cd.

Works like a charme.

Beans

I was trying to update the bios of my Toshiba portege m800 laptop. There was no update running in dos, all the updates where only for windows as Toshiba technicians said, so nothing of above works for me. So I've searched and found a "windows live CD" and the job done for me!!!! Maybe this is off topic but I had to write it somewhere because it was really difficult and time consuming for me to find searching all Ubuntu ways...

Beans

What a thread.

The first proposal is technical to the point of incomprehensibility! Does anyone actually understand all that stuff?

At least on my computer dosemu appears to be dead. It won't start from the GUI (Applications/System Tools/Dos Emulator) and when I try to start it in a terminal it complains about low memory???? How much memory does DOS need?

tim@tim-XXXX:~$ dosemu
    LOWRAM mmap: Operation not permitted
    Cannot map low DOS memory (the first 640k).
    You can most likely avoid this problem by running
    sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0
    as root, or by changing the vm.mmap_min_addr setting in
    /etc/sysctl.conf or a file in /etc/sysctl.d/ to 0.
    tim@tim-System-Product-Name:~$

The first method assumes WAY to much technical prowess and the second doesn't work, at least for me.

Thanks to both of the posters, but I'm still stuck..

Any other ideas how to flash a BIOS update?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Talking Re: HOWTO: Flash BIOS, The Ubuntu Way

Quote Originally Posted by runbux View Post
    What a thread.
    Totally.

The first proposal is technical to the point of incomprehensibility!
    Which "proposal" are you referring to?

Does anyone actually understand all that stuff?
    Yes.

At least on my computer dosemu appears to be dead. It won't start from the GUI (Applications/System Tools/Dos Emulator) and when I try to start it in a terminal it complains about low memory???? How much memory does DOS need?

tim@tim-XXXX:~$ dosemu
    LOWRAM mmap: Operation not permitted
    Cannot map low DOS memory (the first 640k).
    You can most likely avoid this problem by running
    sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0
    as root, or by changing the vm.mmap_min_addr setting in
    /etc/sysctl.conf or a file in /etc/sysctl.d/ to 0.
    tim@tim-System-Product-Name:~$
    As root (or elevated user), did you try running the code it recommends to fix your error?
    Code:
    sudo sysctl -w vm.mmap_min_addr=0
    dosemu
    The first method assumes WAY to[o] much technical prowess and the second doesn't work, at least for me.

Thanks to both of the posters, but I'm still stuck..

Any other ideas how to flash a BIOS update?
    There are many alternatives listed in the original post as well as the rest of this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you are uncertain on how to proceed, I'd recommend you take it to a shop and pay them to do it for you. It's a short road to bricking your computer, playing around with flashing your rom. Myself, I created a bootable DOS dvd with the update program on it. I booted the DVD, and from DOS ran the command line flash program that did the job. But, I have to tell you I held my breath when I hit the enter key to do it. Unless you have a very valid reason for updating your bios, I'd leave it alone. Ric

Beans

Thanks to Criscosurfer, running the fix in the error message did solve the problem, and I admit that I also misinterpreted the meaning of "low RAM" in that same message. It's been so many DECADES since I thought about DOS that I forgot that Low Memory meant the first 640K - not that 3 gigs wasn't enough to run DOS.

Another problem is that I am ignorant of any feasible method to make a freedos startup floppy when my computer doesn't have a floppy drive.

The frequently mentioned freedos startup floppy file seems not available, and I don't know which live CD version to use. I assume it should include the term OEM, right? Does it make any differemce?

is it possible to MAKE a live cd with an .img file that includes both the freedos .img and the AMI dos installer?

Last, I did ask a couple repair shops about doing it for me, but they only do Windows. No Linux aware shops around here! Their responses: You know more about this Linux stuff than we do!

Should I consider myself a guru?

Beans

hello
    i don't have a time to read whole 16 pages of topic, maybe you can edit first post and add how to upgrade bios with grub2

Code:
    menuentry "Flash BIOS" {
     linux16 /boot/memdisk
     initrd16 /boot/flashbios.img
     }
    works perfect for me
    and great job, this haw to is amazing

The CD method works nicely. Please replace the original link in your opening post. You may also mention that you have to blank a used CD-RW to get the current process to work.
    Aspire One D257, 2GB DDR3-1333

Beans

I used the grub method, and everything appears to work great until I try to boot, and then I get a grub error

Error 15: Unable to find file

I'm a linux n00b and this one is beyond me. Any help?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast