Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you fear the effects Vista will have on Linux gaming?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Do you fear the effects Vista will have on Linux gaming?

I just hope BioWare have the heart to make it as easy to run NeverWinter Nights 2 on Linux as it is NMN1...
    Lose all your fears, they're keeping you down.
    Windows-Free since 2nd September 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hi

i dont understand why everyone expects linux to do everything out there . anyways , the best games like quake and unreal are being made for linux ( including 64 bit versions ) , so i thing hardcore gamers will not be complaining. (i wonder why there is no official tech support for these games though ). After all , we are paying to buy these games right?

I think dual booting is a great concept and will satisfy everyone out there . and i dont hate windows like most of u here . U guys are just happy cos linux is mostly free.
    i am very happy with windows xp cos it plays every single game of mine . windows 98 was a problem but XP has been great . It feels nice to pay for a good product.All these comments about bloatware means different things to different people.I personally feel open office is linux's very own bloatware. Open source aint always a good thing ha. I use abiword by the way.

While it is a good thing that basic things like the OS and common applications are free (open source?) , u need money to get the best brains working on cutting edge apps and hardware.Gaming has been single handedly responsible for the advancement of hardware.

As far as affordability of new hardware for vista is concerned, leave it to the manufacturers to bring the prices to rock bottom as they always do.Look under ur machines and it probably is a cutting edge p4 or athlon 64 which u bought for a good price .
    I have already tasted vista and i feel it rocks. Damn expensive though.!!

I use computer aided design for work and sorry folks, but blender3D doesnt do nothing. I need windows for that.

I dont have the time to wait for some community to develop something for me, i need it right away.

I guess iam still not sure how open source can help anyone.

regards

rajeev

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by happy-and-lost View Post
    I just hope BioWare have the heart to make it as easy to run NeverWinter Nights 2 on Linux as it is NMN1...
    Will not ever happen. Nwn2 is not developed by Bioware, but by Obsidian.

And 1627 post multiplatform petition was not enough to convince Atari (nwn2 publisher) that there is demand for linux version. Not to mention the game uses securom. You wouldn't want to have this kind of crap in your system.

But Bioware is working on another PC RPG game. It is said to be a spiritual successor to BG2. 3D graphics. Set in a new world, not related to Forgotten Realms or anything else. Inspired by stuff like George RR Martin's Song of Ice and FIre. (read - realistic world; and low magic level).
    Check my sig for a link.
    Last edited by B0rsuk; December 14th, 2006 at 08:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think Vista would be a good thing because it'll cause die hard gamers to switch to Linux once XP has been officially abandoned in terms of security updates, and other things (drivers?) like 9x was abandoned.

I mean, no serious gamer on a tight budget (so no 3gb ram upgrades just for vista to run at all) would consider Vista as a gaming platform.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Have to say, running Vista on my xp3200 1gb ddr (128mb gf6200 agp) ram it actually flies. Thought it would run quite poorly on my computer. But with all aero effects enabled. Really stable, not all "old" software works at once, but upgrades come quite fast. Have to say, running linux for 8 years that this was a pleasent ecperience from MS.
    But the high price and questionable conditions for having it on your computer (they have not said yet if it will be tied to the motherboard and stop working if you change it).
    And the dx10 which is really the question, it will cut developing-costs for game developers, so guess that they will adapt quickly to this.
    Do the xbox360 use dx10 by the way?
    Vrooom

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Vista is a pig, no worries.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rejser View Post
    But the high price and questionable conditions for having it on your computer (they have not said yet if it will be tied to the motherboard and stop working if you change it).
    The license specifically states that you are allowed 2 hardware changes (Same for all versions) so you could change your MB twice.

And the dx10 which is really the question, it will cut developing-costs for game developers, so guess that they will adapt quickly to this.

How will dx10 cut costs? Software houses will still have to pay people to code for it, if anything dx10 will raise costs as current dev's will probably have to learn to code for it, which means $$ spent in training and $$ lost in the time it takes to learn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

It is said that it is much more efficient than earlier versions. Very adoptable and shorter time to reach where you are going.
    Have a friend that is a developer for a big swedish enterprice. And he said that even though they worked with opengl, dx9 earlier dx10 has a league of their own. But they will wait 2-3 to allow the market to adeopt to vista
    Vrooom

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by rejser View Post
    Have to say, running Vista on my xp3200 1gb ddr (128mb gf6200 agp) ram it actually flies. Thought it would run quite poorly on my computer. But with all aero effects enabled. Really stable, not all "old" software works at once, but upgrades come quite fast. Have to say, running linux for 8 years that this was a pleasent ecperience from MS.
    Do the xbox360 use dx10 by the way?
    Actually play some games and come back and tell us how it "flies". Modern games, even on XP would crawl with that system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gorkur View Post
    With Vista just around the corner with it's fancy DX 10 (and bloated system requirements) one has to wonder how it will affect gaming on other OS's, like Linux or OS X. The fact that neither Wine or Cedega fully support DX 9 at this time makes me worried about Linux falling even further behind gaming wise.

What do you guys think?
    Dont worry, people are still with their XP and they are not going to change ... lot are still happy of xp, and are still reluctant with buying new hardware just for fancy effects of vista
    Level1: (406327 , 1000) = ? found ?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast