Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: PMming and/or IMming mods

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Announcement: PMming and/or IMming mods

Lately I've noticed a slight uptick in the number of PMs and IMs I've been getting for new installation support.

Installations are hard work, especially if you're new to installing OSes. We mods appreciate that. But please, new users: give the forum community a chance to work for YOU.

PMming mods about installation issues is often unnecessary. These forums are almost unimaginably active--there are thousands of users out there who might be able to help you. If you PM only one of us and we don't have your answer, you're out of luck. If you post to the forums, someone might know how to help you.

So, please: If you need help post a thread in the appropriate forum. It is also helpful to set the "auto-subscribe to threads" option on your Forum User Control Panel--that way you can keep tabs on all the threads you've posted/have responded to.

For those of you wishing more...immediate help: try IRC. Open up GAIM, open a new IRC account, and point it to irc.freenode.net, and join the #ubuntu channel. Be advised that #ubuntu can be very busy at times, but the users there might be able to point you in the right direction.

Beans

Re: Announcement: PMming and/or IMming mods

Just a suggestion: Maybe you should "sticky" this announcement so people are reminded about this.

Otherwise it may just drop out of the "attention zone" in a matter of hours.
    Last edited by useResa; December 13th, 2006 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Typo
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Maybe you should "sticky" this announcement so people are reminded about this.

Otherwise it may just drop out of the "attention zone" in a matter of hours.
    This announcement is stickied. It is going nowhere.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Some mods may deal with certain sorts of problems alot and may be known for it, in those cases it can be bothersome when PMing is blocked.
    Last edited by wert613; January 9th, 2008 at 06:53 AM.
    | Install Flash9 | Enable extra Repos | X doesn't start? Look Here | Beware Malicious Commands |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

you could try PMing a member that has helped you before and has some experience, but who is not neccessarily a mod. They do a good job, and with all the other people who hang out here, it seems a little disrespectful to put even more of the load on the mods. They do, after all, volunteer their free time just to help the ubuntuforums....

Beans

This thread should probably be locked.
    Last edited by wert613; January 9th, 2008 at 06:54 AM.
    | Install Flash9 | Enable extra Repos | X doesn't start? Look Here | Beware Malicious Commands |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is PMming / IMming?

Beans

PM = Personal Message (a message which can be sent through the forum)
    IM = Instant Message (a message sent by using AIM, MSN or so).

PMming or IMming is making use of the above to get a message to someone at the forum

BTW: I agree with wert613, maybe someone should lock this thread.
    Last edited by useResa; January 9th, 2007 at 02:29 PM.
    COMPROMISE: Let's agree to respect each other's views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by useResa View Post
    BTW: I agree with wert613, maybe someone should lock this thread.
    And delete the replies too, probably. Just a thought.

Beans

hi, i think there's freenode #ubuntuforums too. i think that's the correct channel.
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast