Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Ubuntu story

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

An Ubuntu story

Just a slightly annoying, slightly funny experience I had that I wanted to share:

My Epson AIO's printhead is blocked *again* so I decide to just relegate it to scanner duty and buy a cheap inkjet; I did some research and settle on an HP D2360.

I go to a local PC store (PC Gilmore, for anyone in my locale who happens to be reading this) and ask about it. This is what happened:
    Salesguy: "so, what system are you using this on?"
    Me: Linux
    Salesguy (makes a big show of looking over the box): HP only works with Windows
    Me: No, no, there's a Linux driver
    Salesguy calls their Technician to verify
    Technician: (condescening tone) HP works with Windows and Mac only!
    Me: I know it works with Linux
    (repeat cycle 2-3x)
    Me: Look, just give me the printer, if it doesn't work, i'll come back tomorrow and buy the more expensive model!
    *sales guy finally hands printer over*

The store has a testing area, so the technician makes a big show of opening the box (with a box cutter- he managed to shred the packaging and manuals too; fortunately the printer is fine); he plugs it onto their XP unit.
    Technician (still condescending): see, in XP it's just plug-and-play. Why don't you buy an XP? Linux is so obsolete (yeah, he actually said that) blah-blah-blah-blah-blah (he sounded like a micrososft press release)

Well, the printer is now home. it works fine with Ubuntu. The punch line? I'm dual-booting and Windows still won't work with it.

Beans

Re: An Ubuntu story

I think XP is not ready for the desktop yet
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Reading this makes me wanna But still it made me laugh

Beans

you should've brought a livecd with you , and say it on his face, see i told you its plug and play

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    you should've brought a livecd with you , and say it on his face, see i told you its plug and play
    I did bring the liveCD... he said "we don't allow people to install anything on our computers!" I said it ran off the CD, no need to install... he had a blank expression, said that wasn't possible and went back to plugging Windows. *Someone* needs a new brain.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I was helping a friend install DSL at his house and I was calling to sign up with the DSL provider ( you know the one AT&T is trying to buy ). When the guy asked what operating system I was using, I said, "Linux." I was put on hold for five minutes, and then a supervisor came back and told me, "You can't use Linux to connect to the Internet. It's a hacker tool ! I almost messed my pants .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Carrying around a full install on a USB stick should impress some people
    Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom. DR_K13

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    Yeah, you should have shown the guy that it did work, and in fact, HP is one of the most reliable manufacturers on Linux systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

@Brunellus: UST

Incidentally the frist to have an online e-campus, which wopuld have been nice except they used microsoft's "standards" and code so I had to go scream at them for a week just to get it to work with the 'Fox. My mac-using friends still can't download the lecture notes (and are still screaming at the IT people) *shrug* I've basically given up trying to talk to those guys.
    Last edited by eilu; December 11th, 2006 at 04:20 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Loved to read this story... it was very amusing to read.

"The guy sounded like a Microsoft press-release" LOL
    Linux Is Not Windows | www.derekdjons.nl | The 'XT' under the Rebels.
    Registered Linux User #406653 | Translator @ Launchpad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast