Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An Ubuntu story

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: An Ubuntu story

Haha, stupid people without Linux . My high school (in the Netherlands) was thinking about switching to Linux when they bought 150 new Dell PC's (they were really thinking about asking Dell not to send XP with it and going with SuSe instead because they have a Novell network )

But yeah, Linux rocks (got a Quad-boot since last night (XP pro/Vista Ultimate x64 RTM/Ubuntu x86 and 64Studio linux x64)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

"obsolete" what an ignorant person..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by raul_ View Post
    I think XP is not ready for the desktop yet
    I wholeheartedly agree! My HP doesn't work under Windows either. Mind, the scanner doesn't work under either...
    Lose all your fears, they're keeping you down.
    Windows-Free since 2nd September 2006

Beans

obsolete?

that's actually pretty sad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by eilu View Post
    @lyceum: from what planet were those people from? This person shouldn't be allowed near a computer, much less give tech support!

@studiesrule: I live in the Philippines, so our situations are quite similar. Even my university uses pirated software (though they'll never admit it); I asked the tech people why they don't go for open source (since it's a very bad example they're setting) and they basically said "that stuff is substandard!"

Incidentally, these tech people don't allow users to install/update anti-virus software (I think they've set the firewalls to block "virus") and wonder why, a month or so later, every PC in the campus flatlines. I kid you not.
    Eilu, what university?

And are they still selling pirate copies of windows for P100 per disc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Carrying around a full install on a USB stick should impress some people
    Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom. DR_K13

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by eilu View Post
    @lyceum: from what planet were those people from? This person shouldn't be allowed near a computer, much less give tech support!

@studiesrule: I live in the Philippines, so our situations are quite similar. Even my university uses pirated software (though they'll never admit it); I asked the tech people why they don't go for open source (since it's a very bad example they're setting) and they basically said "that stuff is substandard!"

Incidentally, these tech people don't allow users to install/update anti-virus software (I think they've set the firewalls to block "virus") and wonder why, a month or so later, every PC in the campus flatlines. I kid you not.
    Amen to that! I have to go behind IT's back in my office to put FOSS on my machine. We are now legal, but I really don't like running MS office 1995/2000. If they would just wake up and smell the FOSS they could be putting OpenOffice.org for free!

And the hp "tech support" people were from the planet India. The whole story is a sad and funny trip strait from Hades. I just mentioned the highlights, because the whole thing is too long.

Beans

All the pc's in my college dual-boot XP and Ubuntu. Actually all the work is done with Ubuntu. In classes they don't even say "well u have to do this in Linux", it's just how it works.

I think XP is only there for reluctant/other degrees students who don't have to program or do IT work.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

not much of a funny story, just a few linux arguments

Linux is old and obsolete - linux knows what my wifi card is right out of the box, windows doesnt

Linux is for leet geeks - most linux distros are easier to install than xp, with just a few clicks in a pretty GUI

Its to hard to install software/Who wants to have to compile everything -
    have you looked into debian, apt repositories contain just about everything you could possibly need, manages dependencies, and installs everything with just a few clicks

And the finall argument - Beryl/Compiz... Do XP windows go up in flames everytime you close them, can XP spin a desktop cube, How about transparency...

oh yeah, and its all FREE... no cash, no piracy, no guilt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by loell View Post
    you should've brought a livecd with you , and say it on his face, see i told you its plug and play
    Yeah, you should have shown the guy that it did work, and in fact, HP is one of the most reliable manufacturers on Linux systems.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast