Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: An Ubuntu story

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: An Ubuntu story

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Not really, I got arrested and put in jail for a day untill some guy came up and convinced them that is was a legit Operating System, everybody just played coy and went on with their lives, and some just advised me to keep my nose out of that stuff, it can get me in big trouble...

Right.
    You realize - you literally just made me tear my hair out?

Beans

I can't stand Windows and printers. The major pains in getting Windows computers to share printers eventually led me to buy a cheapo D-Link print server. Now there are instructions on how to get Windows to work with this print server. They are complicated, setting up ports etc etc etc. But eventually it works pretty well.

There are no instructions on how to set the printer up for Linux machines. So what do I have to do? Well just tell the computer the IP address and what kind of printer it is and bam! It works.

Heh. Why does Windows make printing so difficult? I have yet to see a Windows print spooler that isn't bugged beyond belief!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not really, I got arrested and put in jail for a day untill some guy came up and convinced them that is was a legit Operating System, everybody just played coy and went on with their lives, and some just advised me to keep my nose out of that stuff, it can get me in big trouble...
    That is like being put in jail for the possession of sugar, because you might sniff it; and we've heard 'bout at dat white power stuff.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

:rofl:

i love talking to the ignorant about linux

disconnecting from AOL was the funniest.

"so why are you disconnecting"
    "because im getting broadband"
    "do you know that aol has broadband bla bla sales speech"
    "yeah, but it requires me to use your (how can i put it delicately...) completely useless connection software, and i run linux"
    "oook... do you know that any broadband you get will only works with windows?"
    ".......... ok could you please just disconnect me"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Honest, swear beyond this Earth and all life on it!

I ordered a computer from Staples, and called their technical support to regard a hardware problem, and they asked me what program it happened on, and I told them clearly "When I booted into linux"...

They called the cops on me, and the sad part...

THEY ACTUALLY CAME!!!!!!!
    They Honest to GOD, thought I was a terrorist!

(They said they had the right to, based on the Patriot Act.)
    I thought that only here in Greece technicians have no idea what is Linux. Obviously I was wrong.

Well I have one or two relevant (to the subject) stories, but nothing special.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The thing is I'm sure we've all been into a store and discovered that we know more about the product (be it computers or anything else for that matter) than the salesguy (or techguy), let's face it there all given JEEP (Just Enough Education to Perform) and sent out to the public.
    This is where, hopefully over the next 2-3 years Linux will change that as more people look into it on the web.

That said I'm still having problems with my Wifi and dual monitors on Linux (but worked fine on Windows), but I have a nice friendly community, (thanks) to support and teach me.

Village
    Your Village called, their Idiot is missing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Honest, swear beyond this Earth and all life on it!

I ordered a computer from Staples, and called their technical support to regard a hardware problem, and they asked me what program it happened on, and I told them clearly "When I booted into linux"...

They called the cops on me, and the sad part...

THEY ACTUALLY CAME!!!!!!!
    They Honest to GOD, thought I was a terrorist!

(They said they had the right to, based on the Patriot Act.)
    WTF did they really? Now im scared discussing linux on an airplane or an air marshal might shoot me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

there is this time when the whole faculty got worm, don't remember the name. they have to seal off the lab. and a number of my friend formated the computer, a few time. since they infect their pendrive.

when they discuss the incident, 2 days after the incident.

with a confused look i ask "what worm?",

this is what happen you're the only linux guy around, you wouldn't noticed an infection at all.

Beans

@Frak

if your story is true , its definitely worth featuring on digg, lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

C'mon - I can't be the only one who's BS meter went red zone on Frak's story.

"Honest, swear beyond this Earth and all life on it!" Yeah.

On topic, my frustration stems from friends who are casual computer users
    who would clearly benefit from using Linux, but simply can't break the MS headlock.

A couple I know have Win Me on their home system. It's riddled with spyware, popups,
    "toolbars", etc. that it is nearly unusable. I offered to set them up with Ubuntu, but
    I might as well have been speaking Klingon. Oh well.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast