View Poll Results: Phantom Vibrations?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...I don't own a mobile phone.

15 17.65%
  • ...I don't suffer from phantom vibrations.

26 30.59%
  • ...I occasionally suffer from phantom vibrations.

38 44.71%
  • ...I ALWAYS suffer from phantom vibrations.

6 7.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phantom Vibrations - A Ubuntu Survey

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Phantom Vibrations - A Ubuntu Survey

Is that you mobile phone ringing? Or is it just your leg muscles making you look stupid?

The question I am asking is... have you ever felt your phone vibrate and noone was calling you? or you could've sworn you heard your ringtone, but no, no call?

It's an interesting phenomenon that seems to be worldwide, I want the Ubuntu perspective.
    "Kreed" - Download/File Server - AMD Sempron 3000+ / 768MB / nVidia 6200GT - Ubuntu 9.04
    "Muter" - Work Laptop - Dell Latitude D830 / Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz / 2048MB / Nvidia 140NVS - Ubutnu 9.04

Beans

Re: Phantom Vibrations - A Ubuntu Survey

Yes, sometimes I think my phone is vibrating, when it's just my leg twitching. Which is odd because my leg doesn't normally twitch.

My phone runs windows pocket pc phone edition 2003 if that makes any difference
    - And yes, I do have to reset it once every couple of days too.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I've never felt this, I think, now that I think of it, I'm not sure anymore. Sometimes I do check if the phone rang, even when it didnt. And sometimes I don't notice when it does ring. But I guess this is all quite normal?

- And yes, I do have to reset it once every couple of days too.
    ^ How surprising

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

there hasn't yet been proper studies into the phenomenon, some people consider it a psychosomatic response to the anticipation we feel when we are expecting a phone call, apparently its more common when waiting on a call from a partner, specifically calls that tend to high tension (make-up-break-up).

Others believe its just the phone in your pocket reverberating with whatever is vibrating in your vicinity (bassy stereo, roadworks, traffic).

The idea of phantom ringtones however.... we all know that certain sounds heighten our awareness, we prick our ears up so to speak. However with the advent of mobile communication and the plague of shrill piercing ringtones, some people believe that advertising agencies add similar tones to their adds so your attention will be drawn to them and you won't be sure why...

either way its interesting.
    "Kreed" - Download/File Server - AMD Sempron 3000+ / 768MB / nVidia 6200GT - Ubuntu 9.04
    "Muter" - Work Laptop - Dell Latitude D830 / Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz / 2048MB / Nvidia 140NVS - Ubutnu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherius View Post
    Is that you mobile phone ringing? Or is it just your leg muscles making you look stupid?

The question I am asking is... have you ever felt your phone vibrate and noone was calling you? or you could've sworn you heard your ringtone, but no, no call?

It's an interesting phenomenon that seems to be worldwide, I want the Ubuntu perspective.
    Actually, yes I do. And only since I got the phone. Haha, I was always wondering if it was just me.
    May the FOSS be with you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I was hoping that this poll would prove we're not alone, at least in the ubuntu community, but alas its failry even now. Well the real reason behind this poll was to make my work day easier, but the few+ pints at lunch seem to have done that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I feel 'em. But I'm also paranoid.

I dont' know why, though. Nobody ever calls me. *emotear*.

Beans
    Hidden!

i hate phones and will never own a cell phone.

Beans

I get this, but only when im waiting for a text from the girlfriend.
    Using ubuntu offline?
    Want to install new programs?
    Check out wubdepends
    If Stupidity got us into this mess,
    then why can’t it get us out?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ok.... having said that, i know a few people who would be dead if it weren't for the dawn of mobile phones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast