Thread: asoundconf-gtk: My new app to select the default sound card

Beans

asoundconf-gtk: My new app to select the default sound card

Whilst using XFCE, I have missed the functionality to select the ALSA default sound card. In GNOME Ubuntu, this is easy through System->Preferences->Sound. Select the card, and it runs asoundconf set-default-card <card>. Done.

In XFCE, there is no such functionality. I felt the desire to have that, and also motivation to get that working. I took it upon myself to learn Python, and I did just about. I wrote my applet so that it would also fill a deficiency in the GNOME Sound Properties applet: when you have ejected a card, it is still active, and there is no way to remedy that. My applet runs asoundconf on quit, so that it makes sure the card selected is the correct one. (And writing that, I've just thought of where it could be buggy... but I'll need to test that...)

Now, I keep referring to asoundconf. I designed my applet to be multi-platform, so that it could run on non-Debian based distributions. This would be hard with a dependency on asoundconf. Fortunately, asoundconf is also in Python, so (thanks to the GPL), I've stolen quite a few functions from that. Now, my applet will run anywhere with PyGTK and ALSA.

To run the applet, you will need to copy and paste it into a text file, and mark that as executable. You can get it here: http://tibsplace.co.uk/asoundconf-gtk

If you want an easy way to get it: "wget http://tibsplace.co.uk/asoundconf-gtk && chmod +x asoundconf-gtk"
    Last edited by .t.; December 2nd, 2006 at 11:58 PM.

Beans

Re: asoundconf-gtk: My new app to select the default sound card

*bump*

There's gotta be someone like me... with XFCE and two sound cards...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

this sounds pretty neat. i have a PCMCIA sound card in addition to my internal sound. even with Gnome i have to blacklist my internal one if i want my sound blaster to be used, so maybe this will sidestep that issue!

Beans

Well, hopefully I'll have it in Feisty universe soon... so if your brave enough to be using that then it'll be easy to get. However, if not, you'll have to install the package which I've attached.

The attached deb is gzip'd. It was built for feisty, and says it's for i386. However, it should work in Edgy, and I think it may work in Dapper.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

hate to resurrect something so old, but this just solved my problems! thank you for making this! installed using apt-get, take care

Beans

Yea i have to thank you .t. ! i can`t remember where i found your app but it was awhile ago now in some tutorial(maybe you wrote?). Anyway i install this little app on any debian based system that i`ve tried so far and it works great. I use it to switch between my internal sound card and my logitech clear chat pro usb headset , works a treat! so thanks again kind sir!

Just need to try get it to work on my new distro of the week , Mandriva 2009.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Since we seem to no longer have /usr/bin/asoundconf in Karmic, is there an upgrade in the works to have this application back?? I used the heck out of it and it was sweet!! I hope you can figure out the new sound system so we can have your application back!! . My hat is off to you sir. One of the handiest little apps in the whole schebang. Ric

As of today August 21st 2009, Still waiting!!
    Last edited by wayward4now; September 21st, 2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Just bumping the issue. :)

Beans

Why the [expletive] does asoundconf-gtk need so many dependencies? I mean its only a frontend for asoundconf right?

Beans

it doesn't work for me.. .s

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/asoundconf-gtk", line 361, in <module>
    aconf = asoundconf()
    File "/usr/bin/asoundconf-gtk", line 337, in __init__
    cb_set_active_text(self.combo, string.strip(get("defaults.pcm.card")))
    File "/usr/lib/python2.5/string.py", line 255, in strip
    return s.strip(chars)
    AttributeError: 'bool' object has no attribute 'strip'

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think you may have to wait quite a while for support, the last time the op logged in was over 2 years ago.