View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 98 of 152 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hyperair View Post
    Did you run depmod?
    Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    What exactly will this do?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hyperair View Post
    Did you run depmod?
    Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    That and blacklisting the floppy took care of the delay at the splash screen. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Now the only thing that appears to not be working correctly is that I'm not able to access my windows partition. When I try to access the partition with the command "cd sda1" I receive the following message:

Code:
    bash: cd: sda1: Permission denied
    If I try to access it from Konqueror it give me this error message:

"Could not enter folder /media/sda1"

Anyone got ideas how to fix this one?

Beans

2.6.25.1 is out - any chance to update instructions with how to for patches?

edit: downloaded the patch, extracted it to /usr/src, cd into linux-2.6.25, patch -p1 <../patch-2.6.25.1, recompiled and installed new kernel, then recompiled nvidia driver kernel module and now on 2.6.25.1...
    Last edited by Radomir; May 4th, 2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: nvm.. got it.

Beans
    Distro

Nevermind about my problem with not being able to access my windows partition. I installed "NTFS-CONFIG" and after selecting the option to
    "Enable write support for internal device", I'm able to access it. Both read and write.

Beans

i have a very annoying problem. after i rebuilt a new kernel and then built the nvidia driver, i now have to rebuild it (the nvidia driver) every time after a reboot (i already switched back to the default kernel due to some problems).
    i'll attach the log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Master Kernel Thread

Have you blacklisted modules like this :
    If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled. Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration file and disable the NVIDIA linux-restricted kernel modules (nvidia, nvidia_legacy) via:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"
    ?

Beans

now i did
    and it helped, thanks a lot!

Beans
    Hidden!

Red face Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hi thanks for your guide to compile a kernel, I used kernelcheck and was really clear and easy to use.
    I'm having some trouble now with my internet connection and switching off my computer.

First, there are no devices detected, I tried the ethernet connection but the device is not detected, and I went to check the linux restricted drivers and got a messge that reads I need to install the linux restricted modules 2.6.25.2, I have a Trendnet wireless pci card, and the driver needed is the Atheros AR5212/AR5213.

Now, if I want to restart or turn off my computer, when I click on the power off icon, the panels disappear and only the the items on the desktop remain. The system doesn't freeze, the thing is that I can only switch off manually.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Should I go back to the old kernel, and if so, how do I do that?
    thnx

I'm using Ubuntu gutsy-amd64. bye

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

For the hardware detection problem, I don't have much to suggest other than that you should go over your config options and make sure you clicked yes or module for each of your hardware items.

For the power off problem, next time you want to power off, open a terminal and type

Code:
    sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now
    You'll at least get a more verbose run down of what's happening during the shutdown process and perhaps you'll see where it is hanging. Post here the last few lines before the system hangs, and perhaps one of us will know what to do.

Beans
    Hidden!

thnx, i'm going to try the code you gave me and Il let you know. bye

Page 98 of 152 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast