View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 93 of 152 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 1518

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

  1. #921
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    2

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    initrd-tools has been replaced by initramfs-tools nowadays. You will have to change the dependencies and some postinst scripts in the .deb package. Anyway, why do you want to downgrade to such an old kernel in 7.10?
    I'm going to such an old kernel for my work. Is there anywhere I can find a list of which files need to be changed?

  2. #922
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    54

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by xanikseo View Post
    Holding enter won't harm anything, it just selects the default option.

    mahuyar, I have the avahi-daemon problem as well, is it worth fixing, will it cause any problems not having it running? And is there a way of fixing it without re-compiling the kernel?
    Is it worth fixing.. hmm.. I don't know. It depends on your needs. IIRC, the avahi-daemon is used to scan your network resources automatically such as shared folders, printers and what not. For me, I don't need it since everything is connected locally.

    And I don't know how to fix it w/o recompiling the kernel.

  3. #923
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    14

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    I've got two questions before trying this:
    If I didn't change options after importing the old config file, will I get better performance?
    How much faster is all-in-one kernel compared to modularized kernel?

  4. #924
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    54

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sylecn View Post
    I've got two questions before trying this:
    If I didn't change options after importing the old config file, will I get better performance?
    How much faster is all-in-one kernel compared to modularized kernel?
    For your first question, are you saying that going with Ubuntu's kernel configuration would give you better performance? If that's the case, you won't "feel" any performance gained, since Ubuntu's kernel configuration is to fit everyone's needs. Note that I have quotations around the word, feel, because it varies among people here. As for me, personally, yes I do notice that the system has become a bit more responsive after changing some options, e.g. Timer Frequency to 1000 Hz. But this doesn't mean you'll get everything done faster, since there are always tradeoffs between throughput and being more responsive.

    I don't think I've noticed anything faster by compiling modules into the kernel rather than being modular. That's for your second question, of course.

  5. #925
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    12
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    Has anyone else come across a problem where instead of compiling the modules, it just prints the script used to do the compilation to the terminal window? I can't figure out what exactly is causing it.

    I haven't looked too far into it, as I'm not sure how exactly make-kpkg works, but it's not executing that shell script correctly for whatever reason..

    Code:
    # make-kpkg --initrd --revision=386 modules_image
    exec debian/rules  DEBIAN_REVISION=386  INITRD=YES  modules_image
    for module in  ; do                       \
              if test -d  $module; then                                \
                (cd $module;                                          \
                  if ./debian/rules KVERS="2.6.24.2" KSRC="/usr/src/linux-2.6.24" \
                                 KMAINT="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer" KEMAIL="unknown@unconfigured.in.etc.kernel-pkg.conf"      \
                                 KPKG_DEST_DIR="/usr/src/linux-2.6.24/.."       \
                                 KPKG_MAINTAINER="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer"        \
                                 KPKG_EXTRAV_ARG=""        \
                                 ARCH="i386"         \
                                 KDREV="386" kdist_image; then    \
                      echo "Module $module processed fine";            \
                  else                                                  \
                       echo "Module $module failed.";                  \
                       if [ "X" != "X" ]; then      \
                          echo "Perhaps $module does not understand --rootcmd?";  \
                          echo "If you see messages that indicate that it is not"; \
                          echo "in fact being built as root, please file a bug ";  \
                          echo "against $module.";                     \
                       fi;                                              \
                       echo "Hit return to Continue";                   \
                     read ans;                                        \
                  fi;                                                   \
                 );                                                    \
              else                                                      \
                   echo "Module $module does not exist";               \
                   echo "Hit return to Continue?";                      \
              fi;                                                       \
            done
    Any help would be appreciated.

  6. #926
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    6

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    how to configure
    CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
    and low latency on kernel

  7. #927
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Beans
    54

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MrJokester View Post
    how to configure
    CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
    and low latency on kernel
    I've attached snapshots of kernel configuration in qconf.

    - Snapshot01 for low-latency desktop
    - Snapshot02 for 1000 Hz
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #928
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Beans
    124

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nexes View Post
    Has anyone else come across a problem where instead of compiling the modules, it just prints the script used to do the compilation to the terminal window? I can't figure out what exactly is causing it.

    I haven't looked too far into it, as I'm not sure how exactly make-kpkg works, but it's not executing that shell script correctly for whatever reason..

    Code:
    # make-kpkg --initrd --revision=386 modules_image
    exec debian/rules  DEBIAN_REVISION=386  INITRD=YES  modules_image
    for module in  ; do                       \
              if test -d  $module; then                                \
                (cd $module;                                          \
                  if ./debian/rules KVERS="2.6.24.2" KSRC="/usr/src/linux-2.6.24" \
                                 KMAINT="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer" KEMAIL="unknown@unconfigured.in.etc.kernel-pkg.conf"      \
                                 KPKG_DEST_DIR="/usr/src/linux-2.6.24/.."       \
                                 KPKG_MAINTAINER="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer"        \
                                 KPKG_EXTRAV_ARG=""        \
                                 ARCH="i386"         \
                                 KDREV="386" kdist_image; then    \
                      echo "Module $module processed fine";            \
                  else                                                  \
                       echo "Module $module failed.";                  \
                       if [ "X" != "X" ]; then      \
                          echo "Perhaps $module does not understand --rootcmd?";  \
                          echo "If you see messages that indicate that it is not"; \
                          echo "in fact being built as root, please file a bug ";  \
                          echo "against $module.";                     \
                       fi;                                              \
                       echo "Hit return to Continue";                   \
                     read ans;                                        \
                  fi;                                                   \
                 );                                                    \
              else                                                      \
                   echo "Module $module does not exist";               \
                   echo "Hit return to Continue?";                      \
              fi;                                                       \
            done
    Any help would be appreciated.
    I have this problem too...WTF

    *EDIT* Hmm...maybe this is normal? There is output like this when compiling begins as well. And the person at this thread did not complain about such output.

    *EDIT 2* Ok, apparently this is due to it not finding any modules to process. Notice that in the for loop ( for module in ; do ) there are no array items to traverse. The question now becomes, should it be finding modules to process?
    Last edited by chadjohnson; March 9th, 2008 at 01:55 AM.

  9. #929
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Beans
    14

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    Omnislash 2.0-v4.7 for KUXbuntu 7.10!!

    http://rapidshare.com/files/98239530..._i386.deb.html

    http://rapidshare.com/files/98188414..._i386.deb.html

    md5sum linux-image-2.6.23-omnislash2.0-v4.7_i686_i386.deb
    178af529cbad0b37887c36e6361f5f3f linux-image-2.6.23-omnislash2.0-v4.7_i686_i386.deb

    md5sum linux-headers-2.6.23-omnislash2.0-v4.7_i686_i386.deb
    8556b0129e19cb59442e906988f79b0e linux-headers-2.6.23-omnislash2.0-v4.7_i686_i386.deb

    Install:

    sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.23-omnislash2.0-v4.7_i686_i386.deb

    sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-2.6.23-omnislash2.0-v4.7_i686_i386.deb

    Patchs:

    - Relatime
    - Squashfs
    - sched-cfs-boost
    - patch-2.6.23.17
    - Con kollivas unnoficial

    Thanks!!!

  10. #930
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario, CA
    Beans
    310
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Master Kernel Thread

    This is a bit of a cross-post, and I apologize, but I think it's also relevant here. I'm having problems after updating to the 2.6.24 kernel as suggested by the first post. After getting the new kernel, and installing the latest nVidia drivers, I now get this error...


    Code:
    You need to install the package
    
      linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24.3
    
    for this program to work.
    ... when I start the Restricted Drivers Manager to enable the drivers. This package doesn't seem to exist anywhere. I followed the steps in the first post to the letter, so I have no idea what's wrong.

    I'm really hoping to get this working ASAP; here's the other thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=724339
    Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K [4.7GHz]; ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z; AMD Radeon HD 6870; 16GB Geil DDR3-1600; OCz Vertex 2 128GB SSD; Lian Li PC-V351B; Corsair H100 cooler; Corsair TX650W; 3x BenQ G2222HDL + 1x Acer x93w; Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Page 93 of 152 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •