View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 7 of 152 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hallo, me have one of this C2D Mobos with ICH8 IDE. My ubuntu is installed on an pata HD and this works all the only prob was that me didnt see the I2c data for lm-sensors so me installed kernel 2.6.19 now me can use sensors but didnt see the hdd connected @ the sata ports if me build some sata moduls inside the kernel it didnt start anymore. Anyone know the needed modul(s) for this Intel ICH8 965 mobo ?

Beans

I have a vicam.c file (has some support optionsthat are not in the 2.6.19 kernel one) for a webcam. This file/driver is for 2.6.18+ kernels. How do i compile this one module and insert it into the kernel?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi,
    Great how-to! But I have a "small" problem with the new kernel. After selecting it in Grub, the screen goes blank and the hdd stops after 5-10 sec. Keyboard and all other periphericals are dead. Hmmm... "I may not have configured it corectly...", so I try compiling it with the defaults, and I get the same blank screen. Tried it 3 times (it only takes 50 min to compile on my Athlon 1700+, 128MB RAM). My menu.lst is 100% configured corectly. When booting using my 2.6.17 kernel it works fine, but I get an error, something about some blocks written with an future date (I like booting without "quiet splash" like the old days).
    Anyone with a simillar problem? I'm thinking of reinstalling Edgy...

(Sorry about my english)

Beans

Question Re: Master Kernel Thread

When I boot with new kernel it hangs on ubuntu graphical boot. 2.6.17 only hangs after reboot if I power off and then boot all OK. Looking on web this seems to be something to do with SATA. In the above you all talk about enabling SATA in the kernel but no one says how and web searches just muddy the water. You have to remember that ubuntu is finally reaching the unitiated, like me, who need pointer when you know the answer.
    So how do I enable SATA support in the kernel.

Beans

Hi folks,

Should it matter which version of gcc i am using to compile? I export CC as gcc-3.4, however I keep getting the following errors intermittantly for various drivers/modules:

Code:
    drivers/isdn/gigaset/bas-gigaset.c: In function ‘req_timeout’:
    drivers/isdn/gigaset/bas-gigaset.c:1372: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
    Please submit a full bug report,
    with preprocessed source if appropriate.
    See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
    For Debian GNU/Linux specific bug reporting instructions,
    see <URL:file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.1/README.Bugs>.
    The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
    make[4]: *** [drivers/isdn/gigaset/bas-gigaset.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.19'
    make: *** [debian/stamp-build-kernel] Error 2
    If I go back to disable this driver/module and retry, something else calls up the same segmentation fault errors. Could anyone shed some light into this for me? Thanks so much,

Specs: Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy (2.6.17-10-386) P4 3.0GHz 1GB RAM

-Steve
    Last edited by scoward; January 9th, 2007 at 05:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Question Re: Master Kernel Thread

I just finished compiling the 2.6.19.1 kernel using this guide and it went pretty much perfectly, thanks.

I'm having one small problem though. The first time I tried to boot the new kernel, I got an error after the Ubuntu loading screen saying "Failed to start the X server" blah blah. So, I rebooted to 2.6.17 and edited my xorg.conf to use the "nv" driver instead of "nvidia". This solved my problem, 2.6.19 boots no problem.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between these two drivers are but I assume the "nvidia" one that I was told to install in the ubuntuguide.org wiki is better. How can I go back to using this driver with my new kernel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by scooty View Post
    I just finished compiling the 2.6.19.1 kernel using this guide and it went pretty much perfectly, thanks.

I'm having one small problem though. The first time I tried to boot the new kernel, I got an error after the Ubuntu loading screen saying "Failed to start the X server" blah blah. So, I rebooted to 2.6.17 and edited my xorg.conf to use the "nv" driver instead of "nvidia". This solved my problem, 2.6.19 boots no problem.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference between these two drivers are but I assume the "nvidia" one that I was told to install in the ubuntuguide.org wiki is better. How can I go back to using this driver with my new kernel?
    You need to install it manually from the nvidia script. Look at tseliot's guide in the forum for nvidia and find the manual installation. I just used this on a 2.6.19.2 kernel with a multi gpu 7950 and 64bit system and it works well.
    "Linux is evolution, not intelligent design." - Linus Torvalds

Beans

I am getting the following error on boot after a few seconds:

udevd-event[xxxx]: run_program: '/sbin/modprobe' abnormal exit

(xxxx is some number i didnt write down)... any ideas? I have a Toshiba Satellite m115-3094

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by kleeman View Post
    You need to install it manually from the nvidia script. Look at tseliot's guide in the forum for nvidia and find the manual installation. I just used this on a 2.6.19.2 kernel with a multi gpu 7950 and 64bit system and it works well.
    Thanks. I used this http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html and it worked perfectly.

Beans

Last edited by khanw; January 13th, 2007 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Question was already answered

Page 7 of 152 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast