View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 53 of 152 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Master Kernel Thread

[QUOTE=Sekuhara;3311461
    What I did:
    1. Updated the stock kernel to 2.6.20-16 from 2.6.20-15 that came on the CD., rebooted with no problems
    2. Installed build-essential etc.
    3. installed linux-source-2.6.20 , unpacked it in /usr/src , made a symlink
    4. make-kpgk clean ; make-kpkg --append-to-version=-mychanges --initrd kernel-image modules-image
    5. 3 hours compile time later... resulted in a 24MB-large package in /usr/src
    6. dpkg -i linux....deb
    [/QUOTE]
    point 4 is your problem
    It should be:
    Code:
    4. cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config && make oldconfig && make xconfig (or "make menuconfig" if in text terminal - <ctrl><alt><F1>)
    4.1. make-kpkg clean
    4.2. make-kpkg --append-to-version=-mychanges --initrd kernel-image modules-image
    You've had ommited most importand step - configuration.
    Linux Debian Sid (Minted) x86_64/3.12.10, Conky 2.0_pre, Xorg 7.7/1.15.0, KDE 4.11.5, Lenovo T61, Intel X3100, HITACHI HTS722010K9SA00 100GB, WDC_WD5000BEVT 500GB
    Linux user No.: 483055 | My Conky Pitstop corner | One4All project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question KernelCheck (Program by master_kernel)

Last edited by master_kernel; September 24th, 2007 at 04:53 PM.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by styrofoam cup View Post
    Great. As for naming the .configure file, during the kernel upgrade a window appeared and asked what to name the file it wanted to save. I thought wtf? It allready had the name .configure so i called it wtf.configure as I had no idea what the file was for. I guess it is where the defaults for the kernel are saved and that .configure is the propper name.
    I was unprepared for any questions that didn't have totally obvious answers as there was no documentation on what to expect during the upgrade and it is something that I have never done before.

Thanks again for a fine program.
    I will start testing this immediately. For some reason, when I used this program to install kernels, I never ran into this problem.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

how do i reinstall the nvidia drivers?
    Sempron 3800 2.2GHz 1Gig ram 160GB hdd Geforce 6100

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atlfalcons866 View Post
    how do i reinstall the nvidia drivers?
    Grab 'em from nvidia's site. Instructions are listed on the download page. It's a simple as doing a 'sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run', and either having your xorg.conf updated automagically or manually.
    cheers,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dk75 View Post
    point 4 is your problem
    It should be:
    Code:
    4. cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config && make oldconfig && make xconfig (or "make menuconfig" if in text terminal - <ctrl><alt><F1>)
    4.1. make-kpkg clean
    4.2. make-kpkg --append-to-version=-mychanges --initrd kernel-image modules-image
    You've had ommited most importand step - configuration.
    I forgot to write, but I did not forget configuration of course, I copied the config file from /boot to linux/.config , so I had exactly the same configuration as the stock kernel (so I thought)

I've already found the source of my problem however - it turns out the config file in /boot has CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL set for some reason, so compiled modules are bloated with debug information. Is there some way to get the exact kernel configuration used to compile stock kernels (since on Ubuntu it's not exported via /proc/config.gz ) ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    I will start testing this immediately. For some reason, when I used this program to install kernels, I never ran into this problem.
    OK, I am doing another one right now. The window that pops up is called 'qconf'
    I just saved 'wtf.configure' and then exit. Is it ok to go changing anything here ???

If your documents could guide a noob through this area it would be great.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

Re: KernelCheck (Program by master_kernel)

it would of been nicer if you did post a bit about what it was in your main post.. but by the name i can only guess...still the a small description would of been nice..
    My Stuff:
    Hostfile Blacklist
    K/Ubuntu 7.10 Tips/Tricks
    3_days_+_no_reply=Subscription_Removed

Beans
    Distro

after i compile i get this
    WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc010116f): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel (between 'is386' and 'check_x87')
    WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc033d5f8): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'rest_init' and 'alloc_node_mem_map')
    WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc0342ef0): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
    WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc0342efc): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
    WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc0342f08): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
    WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc0342f14): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
    WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc033d6c0): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem_node (between 'alloc_node_mem_map' and 'zone_wait_table_init')
    WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc033d74e): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem_node (between 'zone_wait_table_init' and '__sched_text_start')
    WARNING: vmlinux(.text+0xc03436da): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: (between 'iret_exc' and '_etext')
    ERROR: "libertas_remove_mesh" [drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko] undefined!
    ERROR: "libertas_add_card" [drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko] undefined!
    ERROR: "libertas_send_tx_feedback" [drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko] undefined!
    ERROR: "libertas_prepare_and_send_command" [drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko] undefined!
    ERROR: "libertas_remove_card" [drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko] undefined!
    ERROR: "libertas_add_mesh" [drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko] undefined!
    ERROR: "libertas_process_rxed_packet" [drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko] undefined!
    ERROR: "libertas_interrupt" [drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko] undefined!
    ERROR: "libertas_activate_card" [drivers/net/wireless/libertas/usb8xxx.ko] undefined!
    make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22'
    make: *** [debian/stamp-build-kernel] Error 2

It dosent create a .deb anyone know why?
    Sempron 3800 2.2GHz 1Gig ram 160GB hdd Geforce 6100

Beans

Is it possible to downgrade my kernel in Feisty? I want to use the default kernel that comes in Dapper. Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be done? I am currently having problems getting both my usb capture devices to run on all the newer versions of the kernel that I have tried. There are no problems getting it to run on dapper however.

Page 53 of 152 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast