View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 50 of 152 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by caterpillar33 View Post
    After I run step 8, I get asked a (very long) series of questions. My impression is that my configuration was not copied properly. Could someone tell me how to copy them properly?
    You've copied it properly, but it was config from 2.6.20 and you added it to 2.6.22
    Kernel 2.6.22 have few new functions which must be configured either "on" or "off" so "make oldconfig" check's configuration file and fix it - that's why you have to answer few question. Just hit "Enter" all the time and make proper configuration with "make menuconfig"/"make xconfig" later.
    Linux Debian Sid (Minted) x86_64/3.12.10, Conky 2.0_pre, Xorg 7.7/1.15.0, KDE 4.11.5, Lenovo T61, Intel X3100, HITACHI HTS722010K9SA00 100GB, WDC_WD5000BEVT 500GB
    Linux user No.: 483055 | My Conky Pitstop corner | One4All project

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tiftof View Post
    2) I would like to disable some more options in the kernel to see the effect. But what if I screw up, could I just use the deb's from a previous compile or does the src folder has to be intact (the state it was when I compiled the first deb's)?
    Yes! Better still, you have the start up image in /boot ... when the computer starts up, Grub lets you pick the kernel to boot to. you can edit /boot/grub/menu.list to make the count down slower. I also turned off the splash and quiet options from the boot line... seems faster without having to turn the screen on and off all the time. And I like seeing the log scroll by.

Though... I would LOVE to change the default font shown. When I first got into linux (over 10 years ago) I had a nice font by default and loved that...

Beans

This guide is wonderful. I did all the steps and worked like a charm. I compiled my kernel to the newest 2.6.22.3 stable version and it works much faster. The only problem is that when I plugged in a USB device it couldn't unmount it. I changed the config of the Kernel using the recommended settings from here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by V3lier View Post
    This guide is wonderful. I did all the steps and worked like a charm. I compiled my kernel to the newest 2.6.22.3 stable version and it works much faster. The only problem is that when I plugged in a USB device it couldn't unmount it. I changed the config of the Kernel using the recommended settings from here.
    you're trying to use umount with sudo to unmount devices correct? Have you gotten this squared away or does it still not work for you? So then do you just hit shutdown, then unplug it once your computer is shutdown?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by V3lier View Post
    find out if there are any processes blocking you from unmounting:

Code:
    ps x | grep /media/disk

Beans

Well I actually think I know whats the problem. I ran "dmesg | tail" and it told me:

Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1
    FAT: IO charset iso8859-1 not found

Is there a way to make those modules load? I don't want to compile the kernel again but if that is truly the only way then I will do it.
    Last edited by V3lier; August 18th, 2007 at 12:22 AM.

Beans

Modules can be loaded via two files:
    /etc/modules
    /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

If you edit initramfs-tools, you must run update-initramfs.

Look around the google a little to read up on initramfs before doing it. I think you just put the module name in there. (that's what I do to get piix loaded right away for DMA)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I dont want to waste forum space but i want to commend the author of this thread. Its just AWESOME that it continues to get updates.

Thank very very very much if you read this whoever you are Master_Kernel! Superstar stuff!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just to put it out there: What would you like in KernelCheck?
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by master_kernel View Post
    Just to put it out there: What would you like in KernelCheck?
    The ability to add patches. For example, many people use the suspend2 patches, others may need a patch to get their particular hardware to work, and so on. Users should be able to choose from a list of common patches, or supply their own from a file. Multiple patches should also be allowed, with checks to see if there is a conflict of course.

Another nice thing would be a simple kernel configurator to enable/disable certain common features without having to dig through the hideous mess of options that is kconfig. Things like debugging support, USB suspend, etc.

Also perhaps ability to choose a different kernel version?
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Page 50 of 152 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast