View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 43 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Master Kernel Thread

The tutorial was very helpful! I was able to compile and install a working kernel and the PC booted up with no errors at all. I have one problem, when I go into "Computer" I have CD-ROM1 and my combo drive showing... I only have the combo drive. What did I do wrong? I have never compiled my own kernel before and answered the questions in the script to the best of my ability.but could I have missed something? I have an HP Pavillion a1723w, Intel everything. Could someone shed some light on this problem? I really would like to give this another go.

Thanks!

Beans

I have a question: I have already compiled my kernel and installed the deb file, if I want to change something in "make xconfig" do I need to recompile it again to take effect?
    Domain and Hosting: http://www.biztoe.net
    Website Development: http://www.biztoe.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by edmondt View Post
    I have a question: I have already compiled my kernel and installed the deb file, if I want to change something in "make xconfig" do I need to recompile it again to take effect?
    Yes.
    "Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain." - K. Jackson
    Exaile Media Player | Arch Linux
    Click here to have your brain eaten

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by edmondt View Post
    Sadly, yes.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    The tutorial was very helpful! I was able to compile and install a working kernel and the PC booted up with no errors at all. I have one problem, when I go into "Computer" I have CD-ROM1 and my combo drive showing... I only have the combo drive. What did I do wrong? I have never compiled my own kernel before and answered the questions in the script to the best of my ability.but could I have missed something? I have an HP Pavillion a1723w, Intel everything. Could someone shed some light on this problem? I really would like to give this another go.

Thanks!
    I'm not sure I understand the problem. Could you explain the problem again?
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I'd love to try this, not least for the educational value of going through the process, but hesitate, as I am running a x86_64 system (AMD 64 X2 5000+), and know from experience that things designed for 32-bit computing don't always work so well on a 64-bit system. Can the download and installation steps provided on the first page of this thread be used «as is», or do they require modification ? Master_kernel writes that «64-bit users should enable 64-bit options in the kernel» ; at what stage during the process do they appear, and just which alternatives should be chosen ?...

Henri

Beans

I followed a basically exact tut as this one and i did fine , but when i boot the kernel , it doesnt recognize my usb slots. Myabe it is because i do acpi=off but i have to do that . This also happens on other Os's except ubuntu's. What patches or things did ubuntu devs add to the kernel to make it detect such things or make everyhting work without acpi?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by stepan2 View Post
    I followed a basically exact tut as this one and i did fine , but when i boot the kernel , it doesnt recognize my usb slots. Myabe it is because i do acpi=off but i have to do that . This also happens on other Os's except ubuntu's. What patches or things did ubuntu devs add to the kernel to make it detect such things or make everyhting work without acpi?
    are you sure that the kernel isn't seeing your ports? it's possible that HAL isn't starting. when you do this command, what do you get back?

dmesg | grep usb

I get this:
    [ 3.267131] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
    [ 3.267152] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
    [ 3.267174] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
    [ 4.116896] usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 4.224577] usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 4.332402] usb usb3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 4.440296] usb usb4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 4.548327] usb usb5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Beans

I managed to solve it ! the reason was because i did acpi=off . i searche darround and found out that i had to do pci=nommconfig

tcoffeep Guest

Is this kernel upgrade even worth doing?

What's the difference between the current version, and this one?

Page 43 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast