View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 42 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Master Kernel Thread

KernelCheck Script 2.0 BETA is out. See first post for details.

Please be patient during thread testing stage.
    The one and only, Master Kernel Thread
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans

Okay, I have a question. Upon compiling I ran the setup for x, it finally worked instead of having to run menuconfig... i think this is because I installed ubuntu-desktop kubuntu-desktop and kde using apt-get install.

Now, when I deselect some of the packages, I see a lot of them coming up when making the deb packages...

For instance:
    CC [M] drivers/net/amd8111e.o

Does this mean ALL the deselected packages compile as modules? If so whats the point? Do modules mean that it doesnt load it into the kernel, but only calls it from an external file?

I saved the .config file or whatever its called when editing, so is that all I need to do to update my options i selected using make xconfig?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

In the xconfig, a blank checkbox means that it isn't compiled, a circle in the checkbox means that it's compiled as a module, and a checked checkbox means that it is compiled into the kernel.

Compiling as a module means that it will not run unless requred, whereas compiling straight into the kernel will make it run regardless of whether it is required or not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

a few tips for the author. of course, you are free to accept/reject them

-almost eveybody does not need "bin86" for any of the operation listed above
    -"wget" and "libncurses5" are installed by default on ubuntu.

-replace "sudo -s -H" with "sudo -s". The -H option is not needed here, even not suggested. Furthermore, I would put this command after 2., and then delete all the "sudo"s in the following commands (at present, there is sudo on some of them, and it there is not on others).

-"make oldconfig" is completely unnecessary in both the lines in 6. oldconfig, menuconfig, xconfig are three alternative ways to configure the kernel. Oldconfig is not recommended at all; menuconfig is the standard tool (not just for servers), xconfig is my favourite and easier to use, since it tells you a little about the various options. Before running the config command, I would also recall that configuring is the main reason beacuse one compiles the kernel, and I would link the tip page again here.

-In general, I would avoid to write many commands in a single line, as in "sudo cp /boot/config-2.6.20-16-generic .config && sudo make oldconfig && sudo make xconfig". This can be hostile to the newbies.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm getting a weird error. It says /sbin/init cannot be found on target system. It then says "/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off" and drops into a shell. It works fine with the kernel originally installed with Ubuntu. Is there something I've deselected that is needed to work? Or something wrong with the newest kernel?

I'm on a Thinkpad T41 laptop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gala.martin View Post
    a few tips for the author. of course, you are free to accept/reject them

-almost eveybody does not need "bin86" for any of the operation listed above
    -"wget" and "libncurses5" are installed by default on ubuntu.

-replace "sudo -s -H" with "sudo -s". The -H option is not needed here, even not suggested. Furthermore, I would put this command after 2., and then delete all the "sudo"s in the following commands (at present, there is sudo on some of them, and it there is not on others).

-"make oldconfig" is completely unnecessary in both the lines in 6. oldconfig, menuconfig, xconfig are three alternative ways to configure the kernel. Oldconfig is not recommended at all; menuconfig is the standard tool (not just for servers), xconfig is my favourite and easier to use, since it tells you a little about the various options. Before running the config command, I would also recall that configuring is the main reason beacuse one compiles the kernel, and I would link the tip page again here.

-In general, I would avoid to write many commands in a single line, as in "sudo cp /boot/config-2.6.20-16-generic .config && sudo make oldconfig && sudo make xconfig". This can be hostile to the newbies.

Cheers
    Thank you for your suggestions, I will change my thread to meet the demands of some of these suggestions.

1. I will not be removing any packages from the list because this thread is not meant only for Ubuntu users, but for those using other linux distros also, distros which may not have these packages installed by default.
    2. I will be changing sudo -s -H to sudo -s. Thank you for this suggestion.
    3. The reason I added "make oldconfig" is that "make oldconfig" keeps the current configuration and builds on it. This will keep any dependencies/hardware support enabled when "make xconfig" is invoked.
    4. I will be separating all the commands, but will eventually add a link to a script that will run these commands automatically.

Thank you!
    KernelCheck - Finally. A way to easily download, compile, and install the latest kernel. Release 1.2.5 available now.

Beans
    Distro

MILESTONE 300: 1 more vote and 300 people will have voted!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hello, i am having some problem booting my kernel 2.6.21-5 downloaded at kernel.org

here is a photography of the error : http://fallen.yozora-irc.net/error.JPG
    Begin: Waiting for root filesystem... ...
    it's just writtent this line and the kernel doesn't continue booting.

here is a link to my lspci -v : http://fallen.yozora-irc.net/lspci.txt
    here is a link to a lsmod on my current working kernel (official 2.6.20-16-generic ubuntu) : http://fallen.yozora-irc.net/lsmod.txt
    here is a link to the .config of my 2.6.21 kernel : http://fallen.yozora-irc.net/config.txt
    i have chosen the SATA drivers as said in this topic but it still doesn't work.
    i compile using initrd typing this :
    CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3 make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd --append_to_version=fallen kernel_image
    and after i just dpkg -i my.deb which install the kernel in /boot, make the initrd and configure grub.
    in mkinitrd.conf and mkinitramfs.conf i put MODULE=dep instead of MODULE=most cause if i let most initrd is too big for my little /boot. But anyway i have reiserfs and ext2 and SATA drivers int built-in and not in Module so it should work.

here are several informations about my actual system :
    http://fallen.yozora-irc.net/dmesg.txt (my 2.6.20-16-generic booting)
    http://fallen.yozora-irc.net/fstab.txt
    http://fallen.yozora-irc.net/mtab.txt
    http://fallen.yozora-irc.net/cpuinfo.txt (cat /proc/cpuinfo)

it seems that i am using LVM , i just noticed it, ubuntu installed it at the very beginning.
    i am turning crazy , i am on this problem for more than 3 days !!
    Please help, thank you

EDIT: my laptop is HP DV1071EA and ALL the informations about hardware and so on are available at this address : http://fallen.yozora-irc.net/photos/panic/c00569419.pdf
    Last edited by Fallen-Angel; June 28th, 2007 at 04:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Did anyone build the new version of ati driver 2.38.6 in the new kernel 2.6.21 ?
    I tried many times doing that for my fresh build kernel 2.6.21.3(which is working great so far) and I got this error in build module-source log
    Code:
    dh_testroot
    rm -f configure-stamp
    rm -f fglrx.ko fglrx.mod.c *.o libfglrx_ip.a
    rm -f .version .*.o.flags .*.o.d .*.o.cmd .*.ko.cmd
    rm -rf .tmp_versions
    rm -rf patch
    dh_clean
    rm /usr/src/modules/fglrx/debian/control
    rm /usr/src/modules/fglrx/debian/dirs
    if [ -f /usr/src/modules/fglrx/debian/control.template ]; then \
    		cat /usr/src/modules/fglrx/debian/control.template > /usr/src/modules/fglrx/debian/control; \
    	fi
    if [ -f /usr/src/modules/fglrx/debian/postinst ]; then \
    		mv /usr/src/modules/fglrx/debian/postinst /usr/src/modules/fglrx/debian/fglrx-kernel-2.6.21.3.postinst; \
    	fi
    dh_testdir
    touch configure-stamp
    dh_testdir
    /usr/bin/make -C /lib/modules/2.6.21.3/source SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/fglrx modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21.3'
      CC [M]  /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.o
    In file included from /usr/src/modules/fglrx/drm_proc.h:41,
                     from /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:371:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/drmP.h:126:1: warning: "DRM_DEBUG_CODE" redefined
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:177:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:489: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘firegl_stub_open’:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:612: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_pci_find_device’:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:1865: warning: ‘pci_find_device’ is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pci.h:470)
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_do_mmap’:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:1970: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_request_irq’:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:2732: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘__ke_smp_call_function’:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:4172: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘smp_call_function’ from incompatible pointer type
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: At top level:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:5106: warning: ‘kmem_cache_t’ is deprecated
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KAS_ExecuteAtLevel’:
    /usr/src/modules/fglrx/firegl_public.c:4965: warning: ‘flags’ may be used uninitialized in this function
      LD [M]  /usr/src/modules/fglrx/fglrx.o
      Building modules, stage 2.
      MODPOST 1 modules
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel from .text between 'is386' (at offset 0xc0101171) and 'check_x87'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'rest_init' (at offset 0xc0101448) and 'try_name'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem from .text between 'init_gdt' (at offset 0xc010abfb) and 'cpu_init'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:__alloc_bootmem from .text between 'init_gdt' (at offset 0xc010ac11) and 'cpu_init'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:sysenter_setup from .text between 'identify_cpu' (at offset 0xc010b263) and 'display_cacheinfo'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:mtrr_bp_init from .text between 'identify_cpu' (at offset 0xc010b271) and 'display_cacheinfo'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'iret_exc' (at offset 0xc02f737e) and '_etext'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.data:initkmem_list3 from .text between 'set_up_list3s' (at offset 0xc017345f) and 's_start'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:eisa_root_register from .text between 'virtual_eisa_root_init' (at offset 0xc0272cbf) and 'cpufreq_unregister_driver'
    WARNING: vmlinux - Section mismatch: reference to .init.text: from .text between 'iret_exc' (at offset 0xc02f7a00) and '_etext'
    WARNING: could not find /usr/src/modules/fglrx/.libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4.cmd for /usr/src/modules/fglrx/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4
    FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module fglrx.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'paravirt_ops'
    make[2]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.21.3'
    make: *** [build] Error 2
    ...and I couldn't find a patch for the new driver and kernel either...
    Does anyone know where can I find the patch of the new ati driver for 2.6.21 Kernel??
    ...optimize, clarify, open, Share....knowledge.

Beans

HI I Get This Error What Do I Do?
    Some Help Would Greatly Be Appreciated

stamp-kernel-headers]======
    This is kernel package version 10.065ubuntu5.
    for module in ; do \
    if test -d $module; then \
    (cd $module; \
    if ./debian/rules KVERS="2.6.21.5" KSRC="/usr/src/linux" \
    KMAINT="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer" KEMAIL="unknown@unconfigured.in.etc.kernel-pkg.conf" \
    KPKG_DEST_DIR="/usr/src/linux/.." \
    KPKG_MAINTAINER="Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer" \
    KPKG_EXTRAV_ARG="" \
    ARCH="i386" \
    KDREV="686" kdist_image; then \
    echo "Module $module processed fine"; \
    else \
    echo "Module $module failed."; \
    if [ "X" != "X" ]; then \
    echo "Perhaps $module does not understand --rootcmd?"; \
    echo "If you see messages that indicate that it is not"; \
    echo "in fact being built as root, please file a bug "; \