View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 149 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1518

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Master Kernel Thread

Hi

this is being executed on a full desktop karmic install. with current kernel 2.6.31-22

there's a fundamental error here that i cannot isolate step 6 says

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs  /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ 
    sudo cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs  /etc/kernel/postrm.d/
    both those commands result in

cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs': No such file or directory

on further examining /usr/share/kernel-package/examples does not contain any etc directory which supposedly contains the kernel/postinst.d or postrm.d initramfs we are supposed to copy.

also

step 7

Code:
    rm -rf linux && ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.34 linux && cd /usr/src/linux
    Should actually be
    Code:
    rm -rf linux && ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.34 linux && cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.34
    Where the linux-2.6.34 should match the kernel version we are trying to compile? if not this does not cd into anywhere.

Perhaps omission?

Please however explain why the step 6 fails as it does, instructions are followed to the letter except I am actually downloading the newer stable kernel version 2.6.34.1 which should not affect the how to.

I suspect that the how to was designed for older kernel versions only replacing with 2.6.34 and that initramfs we are suppose to copy is deprecated ins newer kernels but I cant be sure.

also if I choose to ignore the obvious errors and continue the compile proceeds ok however at end compile I get similar as noted here http://bit.ly/9o4LVQ and http://bit.ly/aC7ISW and http://bit.ly/9o4LVQ only it says it about the kernel I attempted to compile as follows.
    Code:
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.34.1'
    test ! -e scripts/package/builddeb || mv -f scripts/package/builddeb scripts/package/builddeb.kpkg-dist
    test ! -e scripts/package/Makefile || test -f scripts/package/Makefile.kpkg-dist || (mv -f scripts/package/Makefile scripts/package/Makefile.kpkg-dist && (echo "# Dummy file "; echo "help:") >  scripts/package/Makefile)
    COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l 'gcc*' perl dpkg 'libc6*' binutils make dpkg-dev |\
         awk '$1 ~ /[hi]i/ { printf("%s-%s\n", $2, $3) }'> debian/buildinfo
    uname -a >> debian/buildinfo
    echo using the compiler: >> debian/buildinfo
    grep LINUX_COMPILER include/linux/compile.h | \
           sed -e 's/.*LINUX_COMPILER "//' -e 's/"$//' >> debian/buildinfo
    grep: include/linux/compile.h: No such file or directory
    echo applied kernel patches: >> debian/buildinfo
    echo done > debian/stamp/build/kernel
    /usr/bin/make -f ./debian/rules     debian/stamp/binary/pre-linux-image-2.6.34.1-generic-ion
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.34.1'
    ====== making target debian/stamp/install/linux-image-2.6.34.1-generic-ion [new prereqs: ]======
    This is kernel package version 11.015.
    echo "The UTS Release version in include/linux/version.h"; echo "       \"\" "; echo "does not match current version:"; echo "       \"2.6.34.1-generic-ion\" "; echo "Please correct this."; exit 2
    The UTS Release version in include/linux/version.h
           "" 
    does not match current version:
           "2.6.34.1-generic-ion" 
    Please correct this.
    make[1]: *** [debian/stamp/install/linux-image-2.6.34.1-generic-ion] Error 2
    make: *** [kernel_image] Error
    seems many fatal errors on this topic just seemingly left or the how to remains partially updated, does not work if followed in any way shape or form.

I'm reading more how-to's on other sites and including ubuntu ones and noone seems to tie in completely to this how-to so it seems.

It seemed like a promising how-to and it may have worked originally though not atm. I'm trying the 1.2.5 kernel check and compare to the manual version and then perhaps try http://bit.ly/aBaeZt it apparently looks like someone found a right combination.

After reading 148 pages and almost all posts before posting or trying this stuff doenst help me be any wiser, except to say the original how to needs serious fixing before it can be deemed does what it says on tin sort of thing.
    Regards
    Last edited by X3lectric; July 14th, 2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: just thought wasted more time posting my findings, not that anyone cares.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Master Kernel Thread

Quote Originally Posted by X3lectric View Post
    Hi

this is being executed on a full desktop karmic install. with current kernel 2.6.31-22

there's a fundamental error here that i cannot isolate step 6 says

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs  /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ 
    sudo cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs  /etc/kernel/postrm.d/
    both those commands result in

cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs': No such file or directory

on further examining /usr/share/kernel-package/examples does not contain any etc directory which supposedly contains the kernel/postinst.d or postrm.d initramfs we are supposed to copy.

also

step 7

Code:
    rm -rf linux && ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.34 linux && cd /usr/src/linux
    Should actually be
    Code:
    rm -rf linux && ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.34 linux && cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.34
    Where the linux-2.6.34 should match the kernel version we are trying to compile? if not this does not cd into anywhere.

Perhaps omission?

Please however explain why the step 6 fails as it does, instructions are followed to the letter except I am actually downloading the newer stable kernel version 2.6.34.1 which should not affect the how to.

I suspect that the how to was designed for older kernel versions only replacing with 2.6.34 and that initramfs we are suppose to copy is deprecated ins newer kernels but I cant be sure.

also if I choose to ignore the obvious errors and continue the compile proceeds ok however at end compile I get similar as noted here http://bit.ly/9o4LVQ and http://bit.ly/aC7ISW and http://bit.ly/9o4LVQ only it says it about the kernel I attempted to compile as follows.
    Code:
    test ! -e scripts/package/builddeb || mv -f scripts/package/builddeb scripts/package/builddeb.kpkg-dist
    test ! -e scripts/package/Makefile || test -f scripts/package/Makefile.kpkg-dist || (mv -f scripts/package/Makefile scripts/package/Makefile.kpkg-dist && (echo "# Dummy file "; echo "help:") >  scripts/package/Makefile)
    COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l 'gcc*' perl dpkg 'libc6*' binutils make dpkg-dev |\
         awk '$1 ~ /[hi]i/ { printf("%s-%s\n", $2, $3) }'> debian/buildinfo
    uname -a >> debian/buildinfo
    echo using the compiler: >> debian/buildinfo
    grep LINUX_COMPILER include/linux/compile.h | \
           sed -e 's/.*LINUX_COMPILER "//' -e 's/"$//' >> debian/buildinfo
    grep: include/linux/compile.h: No such file or directory
    echo applied kernel patches: >> debian/buildinfo
    echo done > debian/stamp/build/kernel
    /usr/bin/make -f ./debian/rules     debian/stamp/binary/pre-linux-image-2.6.34.1-generic-ion
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.34.1'
    ====== making target debian/stamp/install/linux-image-2.6.34.1-generic-ion [new prereqs: ]======
    This is kernel package version 11.015.
    echo "The UTS Release version in include/linux/version.h"; echo "       \"\" "; echo "does not match current version:"; echo "       \"2.6.34.1-generic-ion\" "; echo "Please correct this."; exit 2
    The UTS Release version in include/linux/version.h
           "" 
    does not match current version:
           "2.6.34.1-generic-ion" 
    Please correct this.
    make[1]: *** [debian/stamp/install/linux-image-2.6.34.1-generic-ion] Error 2
    make: *** [kernel_image] Error
    seems many fatal errors on this topic just seemingly left or the how to remains partially updated, does not work if followed in any way shape or form.

I'm reading more how-to's on other sites and including ubuntu ones and noone seems to tie in completely to this how-to so it seems.

It seemed like a promising how-to and it may have worked originally though not atm. I'm trying the 1.2.5 kernel check and compare to the manual version and then perhaps try http://bit.ly/aBaeZt it apparently looks like someone found a right combination.

After reading 148 pages and almost all posts before posting or trying this stuff doenst help me be any wiser, except to say the original how to needs serious fixing before it can be deemed does what it says on tin sort of thing.
    Regards
    Some ideas..

1. The two paths that doesn't match any folder[in karmic], exists in lucid, so maybe these folders, with the relative files is in another place..
    2. Then "/linux/version." error, raise up because the kernel-package in karmic [v11.015] is different from the lucid one [v12.032] that the 2.6.34 kernel wants..

Sysc, A
    Every morning you have two choices:
    Continue your sleep with dreaming
    or wake up and chase your dreams
    CHOICE IS YOURS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hi

thank you for reply

no cant find the relative paths in karmic, any ideas? I have searched for these but no go.

It would be greatly appreciated if a karmic how to or the changes would be posted.

ideally I would find some help with someone who is experienced and willing to help package for ppa, various ongoing packages which dont exist for karmic and the project could benefit from.

I have been trying to do it all myself but lack of time and experience is proving frustrating.

any positive information leading to solutions would be greatly appreciated as I am wiling to learn all this myself.

Regards
    Last edited by X3lectric; July 14th, 2010 at 07:27 PM.

Beans

hi

thank you for reply

no cant find the relative paths in karmic, any ideas? I have searched for these but no go.

It would be greatly appreciated if a karmic how to or the changes would be posted.

ideally I would find some help with someone who is experienced and willing to help package for ppa, various ongoing packages which dont exist for karmic and the project could benefit from.

I have been trying to do it all myself but lack of time and experience is proving frustrating.

any positive information leading to solutions would be greatly appreciated as I am wiling to learn all this myself.

Regards
    Here are the scripts you were missing, copied from my system (see attachments).
    To copy these open up a terminal and run the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo cp /path/to/postinst_init.sh /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs
    sudo cp /path/to/postrm_init.sh /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by meklu View Post
    Here are the scripts you were missing, copied from my system (see attachments).
    To copy these open up a terminal and run the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo cp /path/to/postinst_init.sh /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs
    sudo cp /path/to/postrm_init.sh /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs
    Thx

What system is this? if these scripts are in karmic, what's their path so I can use my own...

TIA

Beans

Thx

What system is this? if these scripts are in karmic, what's their path so I can use my own...

TIA
    It's a 64-bit Lucid BUT it doesn't have any release- or hardware-specific code. Check if it works. Feel free to inspect them first, I haven't written them.

Beans

Can someone help me with this error... 10.04 x86_64, following these directions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild

After a couple hours after executing step 8, I get the following not in control info error

Code:
    install -p    -o root -g root  -m  644 ./debian/templates.master /home/zivester/linux-2.6/debian/linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+/DEBIAN/templates
    dpkg-gencontrol -DArchitecture=amd64 -isp	     \
    			-plinux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+ -P/home/zivester/linux-2.6/debian/linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+/
    dpkg-gencontrol: error: package linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+ not in control info
    make[2]: *** [debian/stamp/binary/linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+] Error 255
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zivester/linux-2.6'
    make[1]: *** [debian/stamp/binary/pre-linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zivester/linux-2.6'
    make: *** [kernel_image] Error 2
    Last edited by zackiv31; July 15th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zackiv31 View Post
    Can someone help me with this error... 10.04 x86_64, following these directions: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild

After a couple hours after executing step 8, I get the following not in control info error

Code:
    install -p    -o root -g root  -m  644 ./debian/templates.master /home/zivester/linux-2.6/debian/linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+/DEBIAN/templates
    dpkg-gencontrol -DArchitecture=amd64 -isp         \
                -plinux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+ -P/home/zivester/linux-2.6/debian/linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+/
    dpkg-gencontrol: error: package linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+ not in control info
    I got the same error. I'm not sure of a cause or a real fix, but it has to do with the plus sign being added to the end of the kernel name. I was able to find a workaround, but it isn't ideal at all, and there is probably a better way.

You have to run make-kpkg again (i.e. repeat step 8 at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild) and then, while it is running (and before it returns to the point of the error), edit the debian config file at ~/linux-2.6/debian/control. In that file, replace every instance of "linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom" with "linux-image-2.6.35-rc5-custom+"; replace every instance of "linux-source-2.6.35-rc5-custom" with "linux-source-2.6.35-rc5-custom+"; and replace every instance of "linux-headers-2.6.35-rc5-custom" with "linux-headers-2.6.35-rc5-custom+".

The trouble with this is that make-kpkg will automatically regenerate the debian/control file, so you have to watch and be sure that you edit that file after it does.

Anybody know a better solution?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zackiv31 View Post

Code:
    dpkg-gencontrol -DArchitecture=amd64 -isp	     \
    You might want to omit the plus sign from your command or escape it (put a backslash in front of it, ie. \+). I'm not sure whether or not the latter method works, so try the other first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I apologize if I am not the first one to mention this, but the kernel compiles heck of a lot faster if you use make -j 2 (or 4 or whatever number of cores/cpu's you've got/are willing to use). Isn't there a way to do this while making a .deb package ? I hope I made sense.
    Originally Posted by rugbert
    Are there any plans to make it not suck so hard any time soon?
    ROFL!

Page 149 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151 ... LastLast