View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?

Voters
1159. You may not vote on this poll
Page 143 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1518

Thread: Master Kernel Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Master Kernel Thread

my bad; i read your post too fast. so did you re-run the purge? and kernel installation still fails with the same DKMS error about nvidia-common junk? repurging nvidia-common will not hurt anything.

i know you ran purge last summer, but something may have inadvertantly reinstalled something or another. maybe purge did not purge properly.. in such case, i'd go with what i said in my other post. basically a lot of troubleshooting.

Beans

Code:
    ~$ sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-common
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package nvidia-common is not installed, so not removed
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    I am not an expert, but it seems clean to me.
    ThinkPad W500: C2D 2,5GHz, 8GB ram, GPU Intel & ATI, Middleton BIOS, SSD + UltraBay HDD, USB 3.0 ExpressCard, BTRFS + full disk encryption.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

that bites. unfortunately i do not have an exact answer either. if the information you posted here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...6&postcount=13 is still current, then the problem appears to be with building the nvidia module(s).

probably another useless suggestion, but here is some interesting discussion about this very problem, in particular beginning with post #5:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...on/+bug/292606

Beans

Well, I browsed through it but none of the suggestions apply to my system as there is not the faintest trace of nvidia-common in my filesystem. /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ contains only one 4-line text file.

I am rather sceptical about the idea that nvidia-common is causing all these problems. Mind you, prior to 2.6.33 (or maybe even 32) I successfully compiled and installed at least 3 kernels.

EDIT:
    Just thought about something - when I am compiling the kernel, should I disable "Nvidia Framebuffer" since I am going to install new nvidia's drivers manually anyway?
    Last edited by Lockheed; February 19th, 2010 at 12:48 AM.
    ThinkPad W500: C2D 2,5GHz, 8GB ram, GPU Intel & ATI, Middleton BIOS, SSD + UltraBay HDD, USB 3.0 ExpressCard, BTRFS + full disk encryption.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed View Post
    Well, I browsed through it but none of the suggestions apply to my system as there is not the faintest trace of nvidia-common in my filesystem. /etc/kernel/postinst.d/ contains only one 4-line text file.

I am rather sceptical about the idea that nvidia-common is causing all these problems. Mind you, prior to 2.6.33 (or maybe even 32) I successfully compiled and installed at least 3 kernels.

EDIT:
    Just thought about something - when I am compiling the kernel, should I disable "Nvidia Framebuffer" since I am going to install new nvidia's drivers manually anyway?
    hell, i got nothing. try compiling and installing a 2.6.32 kernel again?

i'm guessing that you are referring to CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA: my .config has it set to m.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Klondikes View Post
    hell, i got nothing. try compiling and installing a 2.6.32 kernel again?
    Just tried - same story.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

have you tried reinstalling nvidia-common, then installing your custom kernel?

process of elimination...

Beans

Just tried it. Again, the same story.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Lockheed View Post
    EDIT:
    nVidia proprietary drivers are in conflict with nVidia FB driver - nVidia developer stated that when users asked about possibilty of running both drivers at the same time (FB in console, bin in X).
    When compiled as module it is a chance that it isn't started by anything so there is no conflict (sheer luck).
    Linux Debian Sid (Minted) x86_64/3.12.10, Conky 2.0_pre, Xorg 7.7/1.15.0, KDE 4.11.5, Lenovo T61, Intel X3100, HITACHI HTS722010K9SA00 100GB, WDC_WD5000BEVT 500GB
    Linux user No.: 483055 | My Conky Pitstop corner | One4All project

Beans

anyone tell me is it possible to build a 2.6.33 kernel within a virtualbox image (386 based lucid lynx) for another native lucid lynx system.
    do i have to have some additional stuff to make this trouble free?
    I want to enable the staging stuff so i can get nouveau enabled from the linux-source on mainline kernel ppa

Page 143 of 152 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 ... LastLast