Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solid Google Talk Alternative?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Solid Google Talk Alternative?

I was wondering if anyone knew a small and efficient Jabber client that I could use simply for Google talk on Linux? I want to separate GAIM from Google Talk for a few reasons:

1) I like logging into only certain accounts but I want most of my accounts to remain on "auto login" so a second application would be nice
    2) I like lightweight and small windows. None of the HUUUGE "block" buttons etc. Something that can fit in a tiny corner of the screen would be ideal
    3) I was hoping to be able to accept file transfers from one of my freinds through it and I think think GAIM works to well with file transfers.

So any suggestions that meet the criteria of a small, basic Jabber program that is capable of operating with file transfers (maybe)?

At the very least just a good Jabber app would do. I have Psi, Gajim, Gabber and Gossip but they all don't seem to like logging in. Which is the best for what I am asking (so which one should I try sort out)

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Solid Google Talk Alternative?

I've been trying to find a way to use Google talk in Linux, which is nearly impossible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use it thru Gaim, but then I might as well call it GoogleWrite !!!

It works great as a chat program, but it doesn't support VOIP !!!

So it's GoogleTalk without Talk !!!

However I always log in Gaim, so at least I can chat with my GoogleTalk contacts...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well, there is Psi... No VOIP, but it's a solid Jabber client (NOTE: I've never used it on Linux, I just use gaim, but I use it a lot on the Mac and it's a very good Jabber client)

http://psi-im.org/download
    -Tipo

A job lost to software piracy could have been yours after graduation...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

We need Google to make us Google talk! Hell if they release the source I'm sure the open source community would have us a fully functional version before you could finish reading about the release of the code...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Naralas View Post
    We need Google to make us Google talk! Hell if they release the source I'm sure the open source community would have us a fully functional version before you could finish reading about the release of the code...
    They are using an open specification, an extension on Jabber (official).
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    I've been trying to find a way to use Google talk in Linux, which is nearly impossible.
    Google it

@OP: I personally use Gajim, it's a Gaim clone that is much more lightweight than Gaim. I personally connect to both my gmail.com account and jaim.at account with it, it's pretty nice. Let me get a screenshot...

Edit: It only supports the Jabber protocol, I'm connected to AIM/MSN through my jaim.at transports. Just thought I'd point out that it isn't a Gaim clone.

Edit2: Forget this post, I just noticed how off-topic it was. You're looking for a client that supports VOIP, I can't think of any, sorry.
    Last edited by Pobega; January 24th, 2007 at 09:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

telepathy

but i dont think it is ready yet. maybe in feisty

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Post Re: Solid Google Talk Alternative?

There is a Google Talk alternative with the VOIP. Its called Tapioca.

http://tapioca-voip.sourceforge.net/...ex.php/Tapioca

After installing it your login should be username@gmail.com and it will automagically log you in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yeah, google has released the VOIP part of google talk to xmmp or whatever and is waiting for them to accept it as the standard, but for now anyone can use the libjingle library and include voip features in their jabber client, like tapioca
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast