Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Movie of Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Movie of Ubuntu?

Ok, live cd – lets people take a look before “buying” is a very good idea.

But, I was reading on another forum where a Windows user asked if there where any movies of Linux out there. The Linux people where only laughing of him.

But, isn't this a good idea? If ubuntu.com also could have a movie on Google video, youtube etc where they showed of Ubuntu; like 1) how easy it is to change things, 2) an overview over the programs and so on? Many lazy Windows user would like to take a look – I guess.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Movie of Ubuntu?

Search for ubuntu xgl aiglx on youtube; they (win users) will be amazed.
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Smile Re: Movie of Ubuntu?

You couldn't be more right. I'm an example of this...

Nobody that I know uses Linux for their personal computing. I myself didn't know much about it and always was under the impression that
    1. there wasn't software available to run on Linux anyway, so why bother...
    2. it's hard to get it going
    3. things (files and apps) are not compatible with the windows world, which unfortunately is 90+% of the PC users community

I now know that those arguments are valid only to some extent, and that mainly the underlying cause is that there are not enough Linux users.

My point however is that I was happy with the MS way of life until one day I accidentally saw this video report from UK's Channel4 News (I live in Italy but I just love that program. The best news I've ever seen on tv. Until that moment I felt no need to abandon Windows, but that day a door to a new world opened in front of me and now here I am, trying to convince my friends to switch and testing things at work with a view to migrate to Linux also the 'serious' stuff.

One well placed video, publication, tv-commercial and the ball starts rolling. Imagine what a whole campaign could do...
    Linux User #436113 - AMD64 3200+, ATI All-In-Wonder X600Pro, Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by camilluk View Post
    You couldn't be more right. I'm an example of this...

Nobody that I know uses Linux for their personal computing. I myself didn't know much about it and always was under the impression that
    1. there wasn't software available to run on Linux anyway, so why bother...
    2. it's hard to get it going
    3. things (files and apps) are not compatible with the windows world, which unfortunately is 90+% of the PC users community

I now know that those arguments are valid only to some extent, and that mainly the underlying cause is that there are not enough Linux users.

My point however is that I was happy with the MS way of life until one day I accidentally saw this video report from UK's Channel4 News (I live in Italy but I just love that program. The best news I've ever seen on tv. Until that moment I felt no need to abandon Windows, but that day a door to a new world opened in front of me and now here I am, trying to convince my friends to switch and testing things at work with a view to migrate to Linux also the 'serious' stuff.

One well placed video, publication, tv-commercial and the ball starts rolling. Imagine what a whole campaign could do...
    What could a whole campaign do? not an awful lot.

Once again you are under the illusion that the only thing lacking in the user population is sufficient enlightenment, and that having the Word preached to them, they will flock to it.

This is not the case, has never been the case, and is unlikely to be the case in the future.

The only way to overcome inertia is by the application of force in the right direction. That force comes from the controllers of sufficiently large networks shifting their networks over to some form of software over another.

If you want any evidence, witness Apple: slick hardware and slicker advertising have failed to get their platform much traction outside a hard core of fantatical Macolytes.

Beans
    Hidden!

"Once again you are under the illusion that the only thing lacking in the user population is sufficient enlightenment, and that having the Word preached to them, they will flock to it."

I am a newbie to Linux, and I have used Windows from the first version. Before trying it I thought Linux:
    - Had very few programs
    - Very hard to use, not like Windows
    - No benefits vs. Windows.

I came across the live cd one Sunday I was bored. I tried it just for fun - and was amazed! Add my less good thoughts about MS and Linux had a new user that Sunday.

I think this video would do the same thing for me as the live cd, and it would be easier for me to send friends/family a link to the video and say "look at this".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Oki View Post
    "Once again you are under the illusion that the only thing lacking in the user population is sufficient enlightenment, and that having the Word preached to them, they will flock to it."

I am a newbie to Linux, and I have used Windows from the first version. Before trying it I thought Linux:
    - Had very few programs
    - Very hard to use, not like Windows
    - No benefits vs. Windows.

I came across the live cd one Sunday I was bored. I tried it just for fun - and was amazed! Add my less good thoughts about MS and Linux had a new user that Sunday.

I think this video would do the same thing for me as the live cd, and it would be easier for me to send friends/family a link to the video and say "look at this".
    I had a similar experiance. My family thought I was a zelot. They could not see what the big deal was. It was not until I calmed down that I started converting people. Why is it that Linux is like a religion? Oh yeah, no real marketing. Sorry. Well, I keep an Ubuntu CD in my Bible now for door to door sales (joke!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When I saw the title I thought you meant a Hollywood job.

Synopsis:
    Mark Shuttleworth as a Rocky figure, taking on the maniacal Bill Gates (though Ballmer would be better) and confused about his friendship with Steve Jobs.
    Linus Torvalds makes a cameo as a penguin.

Hmm, Spielberg where are you?

UBUNTU: Online no one can hear you type.

Beans

http://www.progbox.co.uk/wordpress/?p=169

Need i say more?

This guy caught me out with his blog entry title too
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!

And I was just about to post that link

Looking forward to se the video!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast