Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of the mouth of kids: Linux is Better

Beans

Wink Out of the mouth of kids: Linux is Better

It was hard to believe, but early Saturday morning my kids snuck downstairs, grabbed my laptop out of the bag and started using it for fun and games. What was more surprising was the fact that they chose my laptop running Fedora, rather than the family PC running Windows with all of the kids games and edutainment packages.

When I asked my son why he had snatched my laptop instead of using the family PC, he replied without hesitation: "Because Linux is better."

After some more fact finding, I learned what was the underlying reason. I had recently installed the latest K12ltsp.org release on the laptop.
    http://reallylinux.com/docs/linuxforkids.shtml

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Out of the mouth of kids: Linux is Better

What looks like more fun to a kid?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Is there any Tux within the Fedora artwork? I haven't seen one yet, so I would rather suggest that they did not decide upon a mascot. Just because of the software available.

Hm. Linux has some rather good games and educational software available, doubtless. This are things that are capable of convincing kids to use it. Apart from those who want to play the newest 3D games...
    simplicity is perfection

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chaosgeisterchen View Post
    Is there any Tux within the Fedora artwork? I haven't seen one yet, so I would rather suggest that they did not decide upon a mascot. Just because of the software available.
    You're right, of course. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    You're right, of course. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek.
    But some Tux integrated in their artwork would clearly do no harm. It really looks nice and not only children are admitting that they like it.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    What looks like more fun to a kid?
    from the article : -->
    The final moans occurred when I told them they needed to go back to using the family PC, because my laptop was for work. This resulted in a revolution. When I finally reminded them that all of their games were loaded on the family PC, they both responded with intensity: "we don't want those, we like the little Tux!"

Apparently not only was Linux easier for them to load. Not only were Gnome and KDE easier to traverse and simpler to use. Now they were declaring the attraction to the Linux mascot! I guess I can understand, looking at a cuddly Penguin certainly beats looking at the hard edged corporate logos that fill most of the Windows desktop icons and graphics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Earlier this year I had my in-laws visiting me and my wife. They had their 11 year old kid with them. He wanted to play some online-games with my computer (Runescape mostly). Back then my computer was running Kubuntu. I had to punch in few commands to make the game work (some Java-thingies), and he was looking over my shoulder as I punched few commands in to YaKuake. He looked on, and asked my mother in-law: "How come this computer is so cool and advanced, whereas our computer is not?". Their computer runs Windows 2000.
    Blog

Linux: The OS of the righteous

Beans

You should have answered 'there's no big deal in achieving that. Just install Kubuntu.' and pass him over some installation disc.

He will be happy with it, I hope.
    simplicity is perfection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Get them while they're young! MUAHAHAHAHA

Ahhhhh... Ahhhh... Come to the dark side of the source, Luke.
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Get them while they're young! MUAHAHAHAHA
    You snatched the words right out of my muth.

Oh but even seriously. Consider how much of the problem of getting fair competetion is due to that fact that people don't want to try Linux because "they don't want to have to learn a lot of new stuff" (though offcourse in essence they don't really know that much about the inner workings of their Windoze either, and a lot of the knowledge they have about the rest can be recycled). So but anyway, just teach them Linux to begin with, no more problem. YEAAAHH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast