Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets Laugh At Me....Free BSD....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lets Laugh At Me....Free BSD....

Ok I thought I would try to expand my horizons, and learn FreeBSD, so before I trash my windows partition on my secondary box...not that I would of really cared...but a friend was like do it in vmware, and then once you get it installed, and I figured hey good idea, don't wanna trash my linux partition by mistake.

so I throw open vmware, create a virtual machine.....tell it to boot off the iso image. ok I boot, the installer is kinda like the ubuntu alternate installer(thats what I use anyways so I feel comfortable), ok, great I think I got everything figured out. So its installing and I scratch my head saying, hey, ummm what window manager/desktop environment is it installing I didn't really pick. So I finish the install, and it turns out, I have just terminal, ok so i log in, startx and I get twm. wow...sufficed to say, ok greeeeaaaatttt.....so I message my buddy, hey, what am I doing wrong, how would I install fluxbox on this, I am stuck in twm, and its infuriating....sorry but twm, ugh.... man..... so he tells me how to kinda use ports, but now its giving, me an error about not connecting...GRR...so I say eff it, lets just re-install, this time just default, no more tinkering, first lets get a proper install before I tinker....so, well, so I default install, it boots, I get terimal again, so I log in, and then startx and bah, twm again.

LOL on me, so I am brushing up on FreeBSD, not gonna give up on it yet, but seriously am I just spoiled installing Ubuntu (I guess any linux distro and windows for that fact) first time installs work fine. Or does anyone else feel the FreeBSD installer is incredibly silly.

Beans

Re: Lets Laugh At Me....Free BSD....

Quote Originally Posted by spockrock View Post
    Ok I thought I would try to expand my horizons, and learn FreeBSD, so before I trash my windows partition on my secondary box...not that I would of really cared...but a friend was like do it in vmware, and then once you get it installed, and I figured hey good idea, don't wanna trash my linux partition by mistake.

so I throw open vmware, create a virtual machine.....tell it to boot off the iso image. ok I boot, the installer is kinda like the ubuntu alternate installer(thats what I use anyways so I feel comfortable), ok, great I think I got everything figured out. So its installing and I scratch my head saying, hey, ummm what window manager/desktop environment is it installing I didn't really pick. So I finish the install, and it turns out, I have just terminal, ok so i log in, startx and I get twm. wow...sufficed to say, ok greeeeaaaatttt.....so I message my buddy, hey, what am I doing wrong, how would I install fluxbox on this, I am stuck in twm, and its infuriating....sorry but twm, ugh.... man..... so he tells me how to kinda use ports, but now its giving, me an error about not connecting...GRR...so I say eff it, lets just re-install, this time just default, no more tinkering, first lets get a proper install before I tinker....so, well, so I default install, it boots, I get terimal again, so I log in, and then startx and bah, twm again.

LOL on me, so I am brushing up on FreeBSD, not gonna give up on it yet, but seriously am I just spoiled installing Ubuntu (I guess any linux distro and windows for that fact) first time installs work fine. Or does anyone else feel the FreeBSD installer is incredibly silly.
    You should try out Desktop FreeBSD. It is more inline with desktop linux distros like Ubuntu etc. and includes xorg during install.

The version you installed is pretty much designed for servers not desktops.

Paladine

Beans

I did almost the same thing, installed FreeBSD on an old laptop, realised all I had was a wireless card for network access that of course worked immediately in Ubuntu. My BSD career lasted about 30 mins
    "Culture is not your friend!" - Terence McKenna

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Beamerboy View Post
    You should try out Desktop FreeBSD. It is more inline with desktop linux distros like Ubuntu etc. and includes xorg during install.

The version you installed is pretty much designed for servers not desktops.

Paladine
    http://www.freebsd.org/where.html

went there and grabbed the i386 version, how do I know what is the desktop version?? Got both disks....but still I am frazzled by the installer, like i can partition, and mount the home folder to that partition.... I just cant figure out how to get a decent window manager on it...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spockrock View Post
    http://www.freebsd.org/where.html

went there and grabbed the i386 version, how do I know what is the desktop version?? Got both disks....but still I am frazzled by the installer, like i can partition, and mount the home folder to that partition.... I just cant figure out how to get a decent window manager on it...
    http://www.pcbsd.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

PCBSD is the very best for desktop BSD.

www.pcbsd.org

It is very polished and has a simple package management system, I ran this as my main server for a few months as pppoe was very simple to setup as opposed to earlier Linux distros (mainly because I cut my teeth on FreeBSD not Linux). I only replaced it with Ubuntu because I wanted to keep all my systems the same, and of course Ubu is just WAY better .

FreeBSD alone can be a bit much, and a steep learning curve.

Linux (and more specifically Ubuntu), is the best for general everyday desktop use though as it offers a lot more packages and mainly support for hardware.

If I had to drop Ubuntu for any reason I would go straight back to PCBSD.

Regards, KEv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

My first OSS OS was Ubuntu. I had always wanted to use FreeBSD. After about 6 months of Ubuntu, I tried FreeBSD. There are many things I like about it much more than Ubuntu. You install what you want and only what you want. No bloat. It's fast, it's got many areas that seem more logical to me. Compiling the kernel is a breeze.

However, you need to have a lot of time!

While it will run almost anything there are many things you can't get without knowing a lot more than I do. I did get it setup to 95% of what I had with Ubuntu, but it took a long time. When Compiz came out I ended up going back to Ubuntu full time. (I always kept it on my laptop)

I love FreeBSD, I still have it on one of my partitions. I booted into it today as a matter of fact. I wanted to get some videos I stored on there. Turns out I'll have to recompile my kernel to get mkisofs to burn a dvd. I know exactly what to do, but I just don't have the time or desire to do that right now. Ubuntu works so much more effortlessly. It's kind of like the difference between having a Toyota and an MG. One you drive and drive, the other you tinker and tinker.

I'll go back at some point (when I have more time!).

Beans

I have run a freebsd production level server for 4 years now, it is sat in a dc in San Diego. I upgraded some hardware in it this summer andhad to shut it down to do so, which was a shame since it had 504 days uptime.

However, I am in the process of migrating all the services from the freebsd server to my Edgy (Server Edition) server here in the UK now that I have enough upstream bandwidth to run the services I need.

Freebsd is rock solid, but it really is designed to be implimented as a robust server OS. PCBSD, although I have never usedit, is supposed to be pretty good according to friends I know who run it.

Paladine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Beamerboy View Post
    thankyou......

Quote Originally Posted by kvonb View Post
    PCBSD is the very best for desktop BSD.

www.pcbsd.org

It is very polished and has a simple package management system, I ran this as my main server for a few months as pppoe was very simple to setup as opposed to earlier Linux distros (mainly because I cut my teeth on FreeBSD not Linux). I only replaced it with Ubuntu because I wanted to keep all my systems the same, and of course Ubu is just WAY better .

FreeBSD alone can be a bit much, and a steep learning curve.

Linux (and more specifically Ubuntu), is the best for general everyday desktop use though as it offers a lot more packages and mainly support for hardware.

If I had to drop Ubuntu for any reason I would go straight back to PCBSD.

Regards, KEv
    thanks for the information....pcbsd it is...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vayu View Post
    There are many things I like about it much more than Ubuntu. You install what you want and only what you want. No bloat. It's fast, it's got many areas that seem more logical to me.
    Just for the record, everything you described there can be done with ubuntu or most distros for that matter. In Ubuntu all you need is the alternate install cd or the server install cd.

Dunno about compiling the kernel though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast