Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How to install Ubuntu Edgy to USB, to boot from any USB bootable machine

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: How to install Ubuntu Edgy to USB, to boot from any USB bootable machine

Quote Originally Posted by Xx_qwerty_xX View Post
    I just followed your steps and it all ended in an error 18 on booting the USB HDD..

Whats an error 18?
    Here's the list of GNU Grub error codes.
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/man...e2-errors.html

Looks like error 18 means your root partition is too big for your BIOS. You can solve this when you re-install by creating a small (40Mb?) boot partition. It should be formatted ext2 and mounted on /boot.

hth,

Stuporglue
    My projects and ramblings: http://stuporglue.org
    http://www.mormon.org/bookofmormon -- Free Book of Mormon

Beans

Thanks for the how-to.

Everything worked fine, but it hangs on boot. It says "Device not accepting address 5, error -71". It goes on to test a whole bunch of other addresses, but no luck. I saw something about irqpoll on another thread, but I don't know what it is, nor do I know how to add it as a boot option.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beans

Ok, I figured out my last problem. I just have to unplug the thing when it freezes, then plug it back in. strange. apparently, its a kernel issue. over my head.

new problem -

I can't get xorg to work on any machine but my laptop. It'll but on others, but gdm wont come up. I have the dpkg-reconfigure line in my /etc/init.d/gdm file. I also installed every xserver-xorg-video thing I could find. What is the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Code:
    I can't get xorg to work on any machine but my laptop. It'll but on others, but gdm wont come up. I have the dpkg-reconfigure line in my /etc/init.d/gdm file. I also installed every xserver-xorg-video thing I could find. What is the problem?
    Hard to say without more information. If I were you, I'd stop gdm, and run startx manually (on a machine it doesn't work on). Then I'd take the errors it spits out, and ask in a new thread.

I've found machines that have distorted graphics with the instructions I posted, but all of them have had something appear.
    My projects and ramblings: http://stuporglue.org
    http://www.mormon.org/bookofmormon -- Free Book of Mormon

Beans

you know reading this guide it sounds like it would work in any recent ubuntu release, aka maybe it will work better for me with feisty.

i am using fesity herd 5 right now and it is working fine. i have even installed a few edgy debs and such despite a possible risk in doing so without any real side effects.

feisty just seems like an upgraded edgy, usful thing in this case is bulletproofx which is a great idea...

Beans

I just installed this using Feisty Fawn 7.04 and a WD Passport with 120G.

I set it like this:

Primary - 2g - /
    Primary - 1g - swap
    Logical - 117g - /media/fat32

Tested on 2 PCs and it worked. Could not configure wireless (did not have a chance to try too much).

I also did not have to edit grub, it apparently did automatic.

Vic.
    Last edited by victorbrca; May 15th, 2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Complementing
    Your verbose output has been redirected to /dev/null
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    User 437407 with the Linux Counter -- My Site -- My Blog

Beans

Hi all,

I have a question in regards to this setup. How well does this work when you are booting from different machines with different hardware, different processor (even different architecture)?

I'm a new Ubuntu user, and a long Windows user. In Windows we'd avoid using same image on different hardware as it does not adapt so well. I'm not sure how Linux/Ubuntu would adapt to it...

I know we are running the script to reconfigure X at boot, but how about the reaming hardware.

Thanks!!

Vic.
    Your verbose output has been redirected to /dev/null
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    User 437407 with the Linux Counter -- My Site -- My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

hi,,i tried with 'unetbootin' to install live ubuntu on my pendrive,
    but since it is a live environment so whatever i install in it in a session remains for the session only...
    isn't there a method such that i install a permanent version on my usb-drive so that i can install stuff too...
    i also tried the version from 'pendrivelinux.com' but my ubuntu was not able to boot that time..
    so i thought to ask u before trying yours..
    thankyou

Beans

Will this tutorial work with ubuntu 8.10? I have it installed and booting a usb HD. I run it on a IBM thinkpad R-51. if you have one of these you know the internal HD comes out quite easily. so I removed mine and installed. works fine. just wondering if the rest of the config to make it re-detect video hardware is the same. also should I boot the cd to do it?
    Last edited by Ken_C; March 13th, 2009 at 04:54 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456