Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install Ubuntu Edgy to USB, to boot from any USB bootable machine

Beans

Re: How to install Ubuntu Edgy to USB, to boot from any USB bootable machine

I deleted the partitions, ran the install using a manual partition and it installed. I am now at the point where I can start making the menu.lst changes.

Wish me luck. Thanks for the help.

Michael

Beans

Hi,

I am working from my own Ubuntu install rather than the live desktop.

I did a very small partition (3 GB) for the / partition as you suggested and it worked.

Do you think I can change the size or add another larger partition and make it the home directory now leaving root with the small partition?

Thanks for all your help. I felt like I was going to go insane.

Michael

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Nice How-to

This thread has been added to the UDSF wiki.

Edgy_USB_Install
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Hey would it be at all possible to install/run ubuntu from a signle image on a USB drive? I have a 250gb USB drive which has 128mb for fat32 (contains various misc stuff and the ext2 fs driver for windows) and the rest of the drive is ext3 with a lot stored on it that I don't really want to backup and restore.

I just wanted to put a /boot onto the ext3 partition, a 10gb image file formatted with ext3 or reiserfs and a 1 or 2 gb swap image. Do you think maybe root=UUID='hexnumber'/'rootimagefile' would work in grub? I'll have fstab set up to mount the huge ext3 partition, and then mount the root image off of that, and the MBR can contain grub no problems.

Cheers for the advice
    -MistaED

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I just wanted to put a /boot onto the ext3 partition, a 10gb image file formatted with ext3 or reiserfs and a 1 or 2 gb swap image. Do you think maybe root=UUID='hexnumber'/'rootimagefile' would work in grub?
    Maybe but that's so different from what's being done in this tutorial that you should probably start a new thread. Check out puppylinux though. They essentially do that on their USB bootable version. Depending on your skills you should be able to adapt their methods to Ubuntu
    My projects and ramblings: http://stuporglue.org
    http://www.mormon.org/bookofmormon -- Free Book of Mormon

Beans

ok. It works. Thanks stuporglue.

Beans

Hey just a basic question...how do you unplug the hard drive and still have linux to load from the live CD? I tried to disconnect my laptop hard drive... First it says hard disk read error and asks me to press F1 to move on...then It begins to boot from my cd rom and gets stuck without starting up ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

how do you unplug the hard drive and still have linux to load from the live CD? I tried to disconnect my laptop hard drive
    It's worked just fine on the desktop computers I've tried this on. Booting from laptops has worked as well, once Ubuntu was on the external drives.

Laptop hardware often behaves differently than desktop hardware. It may not be possible to install Ubuntu on an external drive with your laptop. Try: 1) Disabling the HD in the BIOS, but leaving it attached or 2) Changing the boot order to CDROM, USB, HD.

Hope that helps.
    My projects and ramblings: http://stuporglue.org
    http://www.mormon.org/bookofmormon -- Free Book of Mormon

Beans

I just tried to install Edgy on my 250 GB usb hard drive so I can use that as a crash test dummy before touching the version on my laptop.
    Well, as install method I chose "Erase entire disk" and GRUB automatically chose hd0.
    But during the installation (15% done saying: "Creating ext3 file system for / in partition #1 of SCSI1(0,0,0)(sda)") there is a failure: the progress bar jumps back to 5% and a dialog appears: "The ext3 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1(0,0,0)(sda) failed."

Any idea on how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I had the same problem as above.

I wiped my drive (had nothing anyways) and used GParted to make the partitions before starting install. Then unmount them, start install, and choose to manually partition, leave em as is, and click next. double check that they are unmounted, and choose mount points (root, swap, fat32 partition). its all straight from there.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast