View Poll Results: Is it likely that Microsoft is going to sue linux in some fashion anytime soon?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely

42 29.37%
  • Not at all

101 70.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft wants a Linux tax?

Beans

Microsoft wants a Linux tax?

First:
    Microsoft makes claim on Linux code

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has said that every user of the open source Linux system could owe his company money for using its intellectual property.

Ballmer repeats threats against Linux
    Steve Ballmer has reissued Microsoft's patent threat against Linux, warning open-source vendors that they must respect his company's intellectual property.

Second:
    Microsoft wants a Linux tax?
    Microsoft's recent "we almost promise not to sue you use SuSE Linux and don't develp commercial software" agreement with Novell may have more holes than Swiss cheese, and it has the open source communitiy up in arms.

Third:
    Results of Search in US Patent Collection db for:
    AN/microsoft: 5834 patents.

Fourth:

Microsoft-Novell Pact Is Already in Dispute Nov 22, 2006
    "The general counsel of the Free Software Foundation, which holds the license to Linux, yesterday called on Microsoft to alter its pledge not to file patent-infringement suits against customers who use Novell’s version of Linux, called SuSe Linux. He said the pledge should be extended to all Linux users or to none."

Fifth:
    The road to the Microsoft tax is paved with Novell's best intentions
    "Red Hat has publicly stated that this Microsoft/Novell deal imposes an "innovation tax" on the industry. "

Sixth:
    Open Letter to the Community from Novell
    Novell clarifies position and says Microsoft isn't playing by the rules.
    "Microsoft asked that we cooperate on patents as well, and so a patent cooperation agreement was included as a part of the deal."
    "We disagree with the recent statements made by Microsoft on the topic of Linux and patents. "

Seventh:
    Microsoft hit by patent suit
    "Just days after Microsoft fell out with Novell over its allegation that Linux contains its intellectual property; the software giant has become embroiled in another patent dispute."

Just interesting:
    Linux may actually be worth some money!
    A Linux user get a refund from Dell for the copy of Windows that came with his machine. A copy of Windows he didn't want.

Other Posts on this topic:
    It's Official - Microsoft to Sue Linux Users!!!
    WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD REALLY **** Steve Ballmer OFF?
    Last edited by cantormath; February 21st, 2007 at 08:04 AM.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Microsoft wants a Linux tax?

Lol nice list.

Well I think, for the money MS have spend, they definitely want to do some damage to the Linux community, may it be FUD or whatever. They may not have the best designer/programmers, but they are definitely not dumb enough to spend all the money just to genuinely "interoperate" to their biggest rival.

However, looking at all this MS/Novell/lawsuit threads popping up in almost every Linux forums, it seems that their FUD is certainly WORKING!!!
    Registered Linux User #404403 - Ubuntu User #19426

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnz View Post
    Lol nice list.

Well I think, for the money MS have spend, they definitely want to do some damage to the Linux community, may it be FUD or whatever. They may not have the best designer/programmers, but they are definitely not dumb enough to spend all the money just to genuinely "interoperate" to their biggest rival.

However, looking at all this MS/Novell/lawsuit threads popping up in almost every Linux forums, it seems that their FUD is certainly WORKING!!!
    you know who I think they are really FUD-ing... All the companies that are planing to make real contributions, as IBM and Novell have.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I know this is a slippery slope argument, but I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that MS reeks of desperation. The timing of this FUD campaign stinks to high heaven especially with Vista around the corner. Their OS is going to be a tough sell and they know it. I don't remember where I read it, but some suggested that it could be as much of a thud as ME was. It is already bad enough that many of the 'innovations' that were supposed to go into Vista were scrapped at the last minute leaving what enough consumers see as a small XP update with a pretty skin. Think about it:

- Plenty of home users are happy with XP. Many I talk to don't even know what 'Vista' is. For Vista to sell it had better be fscking impressive. I doubt that it will be.
    - Vista will more than likely require new hardware for these folks.
    - MS is hoping to squeeze out profit by crippling the home editions to the point where even OEMs are balking at Home Basic.
    - The DRM in Vista might actually backfire and anger consumers, especially if WGA cripples false positive machines.

As far as businesses, they won't even touch Vista until after SP1 at the minimum and may even be tempted to switch to Linux if they realize how much can be saved in hardware and licensing costs. MS certainly doesn't want that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

They claim Linux stole code from them? I really think that M$ could owe Linux developers for copying their ideas (the entire AERO interface is almost like a port of beryl/compiz that takes a video card with an external power supply to run).

I also think that they would end up just losing money trying to fight for that (probably wouldn't hurt them too bad).
    Last edited by mysticrider92; December 1st, 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i voted for "not at all" because there is absolutely no way that microsoft would even dare to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

they having nothing to sue over, it's just typical microsoft FUD. if u can no longer deny your product is inferior, try and create FUD another way.
    My Website

Download my new album for free here:
    http://www.mininova.org/tor/2966690

Biggus is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

I'm still not sure who exactly it is who is going to be the recipient of this 'litigation'?

People who produce distros? End-users?
    they having nothing to sue over, it's just typical microsoft FUD
    Yeah, I'd go along with that.

They probably noticed a sharp decline in the number of persons using windows after the introduction of WGA, and a sharp incline in the number of people using Linux, Ubuntu especially.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I voted not at all. It would be a nightmare to try and sue "Linux."

Who would you go after? There is no law saying that you can't let other people change something you give to them. What is the argument? "They solve math like we solve math, they copied us!" Grow up.

If something was brought to court and it wasn't immediately thrown out, there will probably be a lot of internet crimes right off. It's not the right way to go about things, but you know that some radical group of code jockeys (not trying to offend anyone, I just really like that phrase ) will take it upon themselves to bring down their Goliath.

I think, like the others, this is mainly a large FUD campaign stemming from a feeling of OS insecurity (the "no one will want us" kind not the "everyone knows where our spare key is" kind )
    2GHz AMD 939, 256MB GeForce 7600GT, 1GB DDR PC 2700 RAM, Feisty Fawn
    1.76GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 950 GMA, 1GB DDR2 PC2 5300 RAM, Fiesty Fawn
    Registered Linux User #437675 | Registered Ubuntu User #10829

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Is it likely that Microsoft is going to sue linux in some fashion anytime soon?
    probably, at around the same time purple polka-dot pigs fly over a blue moon
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast