View Poll Results: Should we allow installation within windows on a loopmounted ntfs partition?

Voters
397. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make this an official ubuntu installation method!

171 43.07%
  • Yes, but make this some unofficial third party project

162 40.81%
  • Yes, but do it differently (post any suggestions)

12 3.02%
  • No! Keep everything the way it is!

77 19.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 51 of 185 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows-based Ubuntu Installer Development Thread (merged parts 1 and 2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Windows based installer - testers and developers wanted

im getting an Xserver error, sucks.

im going to try

dpkg-reconfigure-fglrx
    later.
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Beans

excellent innovation! Very impressive.

Suggestion: might not the option of having an encrypted linux disk image appeal to some? Some people might worry about their computers (and data) being stolen. Others might simply like the idea. Just a thought.

Beans

Online & Printing

This whole idea of the Windows-based installer is so amazing that it might even be something that persuades people to "upgrade" to Ubuntu instead of Vista. This is because it removes a major stumbling block for Linux beginners, namely installation. Now, all they have to do is install it the Windows way, with which they are already comfortable.

However, there are two further stumbling blocks that a program like this should also take care of, namely: (1) getting online and (2) printing (and other external hardware).

Imagine: A program like this could *detect* hardware and internet from settings within Windows, and apply them to the initial Ubuntu boot. When you boot in Ubuntu for the first time, everything works! Now THAT is something that can convince the average computer-user that there is nothing to be afraid of in Linux. That is "Linux for human beings."

Please do *not* reply that internet connection and hardware are things that should be learned by going to the "absolute beginner" forum, or something like that. I tried that, and believe me, even though people tried to be helpful it was far too much effort and confusing, and in the end I did NOT install Ubuntu. I still haven't, but I still want to. That is why hearing about the Windows installer was very exciting news for me.

What will make people like me use Ubuntu is when it is not only a simple net download that installs from Windows, but also just works, without going to forums or anywhere else. Take Open Office and Firefox as examples.

Good luck! I think this may be the most important step Ubuntu can take in terms of reaching out.

Beans

hey everyone,
    I'm trying to get ubuntu to boot from my drive D:, which is the second partition on the first drive. I copied c:/ubuntu to d:/ubuntu and changed my menu.lst

I'm using this for my menu.lst

Code:
    title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic
    root		(hd0,1)
    kernel		/ubuntu/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash
    initrd		/ubuntu/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
    boot
    It goes into the ubuntu boot process, but get:

Code:
    /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
    (initramfs)
    Is my menu.lst ok for the 1st drive, 2nd partition? Any ideas?

JackRazz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ciscosurfer View Post
    Hand them a LiveCD! I'm not sure I see the point to all of this...although, I do think it's an interesting project
    This would be great if the livecd/livedvd has the windows installer instead or besides the win32 apps that are usually included, like open office, firefox and thinderbird.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

seems to work okay although I ran it through qemu so not the fastest install ever.

Beans

I managed to get gdm working again and log in by reconfiguring x. However I now don't get the login screen and I can't open login window preferences, like before the update broke it. How can I fix this? and is there any way I can hide kernel updates in the update manager so I don't break it again by accident? Even better - a kernel update?

Thanks.
    Last edited by dignick; January 19th, 2007 at 04:32 PM.

Beans

anyone managed to install it on another partition rather than C: ?
    post your fix please

i pressed CTRL+ALT+F1 during the frozen Ubuntu splash
    and i think these error messages might be useful to fix things:
    mount: mounting /ntfs/ubuntu/ubuntu.img on /root failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /ntfs/ubuntu/etc.img on /root/etc failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory

target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
    it's funny to me that it looks after /ntfs/ubuntu/ubuntu.img, i moved those .img files in /ntfs/ubuntu and still i get the error
    Last edited by Aquashark; January 19th, 2007 at 01:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Aquashark View Post
    anyone managed to install it on another partition rather than C: ?
    post your fix please
    I have the same problem. I have six gigs free on C:, and this install fills it up. How much space does this installer need, anyway?

This stinks because I have another drive with about 200gb free on it, but have no idea how to get the installer to use that instead of C:.

Beans

I'm a n00b, but I tried it on my office computer (I know) - I had to manually change my boot.ini and when I started it up and chose Ubuntu, I got a black screen with a white box that said "INPUT NOT SUPPORTED"

So I went into XP and uninstalled it. Being a n00b, I got scared for the office data. I would SO like to run Linux at work.... I'm sick of all the errors!
    (Sorry for the rant!)

MeeMaw

Page 51 of 185 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast