Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Steam Counter-Strike Source Edgy WINE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How To: Steam Counter-Strike Source Edgy WINE

I'll be checking on the flash problem as well...

(although lately I've been playing a lot of doom 3, not sure when I 'll get back to cs....)

thanks for the help on the fix me command...
    Our Society has replaced Heroes with Celebrities, the quest for a well informed character with the search for a flat stomach, and substance and depth with image and personality.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by ghandi69_ View Post
    I'll be checking on the flash problem as well...

(although lately I've been playing a lot of doom 3, not sure when I 'll get back to cs....)

thanks for the help on the fix me command...
    Reverting to wine 0.9.29 corrected this error for me.
    A polar bear primarily eats seals.... Can you eat a seal? The Polar Bear is better than you

Beans

whew, tried everything in this thread and all it took was re-installing wine a few times and it eventually worked. The only thing is, when i installed steam, i moved my maps/cfg's over to /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam but when i enter to a game i still have to dl maps and my cfg's are absent. I also installed the veranda font from the thread, could someone please post or show me where i can get the other font steam is missing? I googled lucinda console but couldnt find one allowing me to download. Another question is there really a c:/program files folder on my computer? I know this is the structure that steam is in on windows, but why does wine put everything in /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam when i can only launch steam from c/program files/etc steam.exe. If there really is a c/program files do i jus tput my cfg's and maps in there?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I just updated to 0.9.31 and now Counter-Strike doesn't work. When I select it from the Steam menu, it starts up, has the Counter-Strike background, says "Loading..." in the bottom right... then the screen goes gray and my mouse flashes. I never tried steam in 0.9.30, so I'm not sure when this started. I know it worked in 0.9.29.

Beans

I was having the flashband problem on 0.9.30 and found that turning the resolution to 1024x768 fixes it. No need to downgrade to .29 or anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarn View Post
    I just updated to 0.9.31 and now Counter-Strike doesn't work. When I select it from the Steam menu, it starts up, has the Counter-Strike background, says "Loading..." in the bottom right... then the screen goes gray and my mouse flashes. I never tried steam in 0.9.30, so I'm not sure when this started. I know it worked in 0.9.29.
    Having exactly the same problem since 0.9.31 upgrade. The game loads, as soon as the menu should appear the screen goes gray. However the game is still running underneath and I can hear when I move my mouse over the buttons.
    "Historically I've had a “love-hate” relationship with Apple. They love themselves and I hate them."
    - Jeremy Allison

Beans

Also have the same menu issues as noted when I upgraded to 0.9.31.

Beans

Yeah I just upgraded to 0.9.31 and all Source-based games seem to be broken...dang, and I was hoping .31 would allow me to run CS at my native res =/
    Seems it isn't an issue with Wine, as according to this comment, the 'flashbang freeze' was fixed with 0.9.31.

Seems that the menu is broken in .31 but if you add "+map de_dust" into the Steam Launch Options, it should load de_dust and then you'll be able to press Escape and the menu will be fully functional. Hopefully someone finds a workaround for this, as loading dust every time is somewhat lengthy.
    Last edited by Protoss; February 18th, 2007 at 01:24 AM.

Beans

Well, there seems to be a workaround (tested, works for me):

---------------

Sorry I should have mentioned - the menu is indeed broken in 0.9.31.

However if you open the console (with `) once you're in the broken menu, you can type:

map de_dust (or whatever map you like)

To start a game!

From there, if you press Esc, the menu works ok (unless you disconnect from the server).

If you have the console disabled, you can do it by changing the launch options in Steam so that you have:

+map de_dust (or whatever map you like).

Hope that helps!

-------------- (from the above link)

EDIT: From testing other Source games I've determined the problem. If the game is NOT running a map (eg. upon startup of CSS), you'll have issues with the menu. Thing is, HL2 works fine because it has an animated map upon startup, underneath the menu; CSS just has a static image. If you turn off the 3D background in HL2 you'll suffer the same problem. Also, if you're in CSS and you disconnect, this will also screw with the menu because you'll return to the static image.
    Last edited by GFree; February 18th, 2007 at 01:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by jseiser View Post
    whew, tried everything in this thread and all it took was re-installing wine a few times and it eventually worked. The only thing is, when i installed steam, i moved my maps/cfg's over to /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam but when i enter to a game i still have to dl maps and my cfg's are absent. I also installed the veranda font from the thread, could someone please post or show me where i can get the other font steam is missing? I googled lucinda console but couldnt find one allowing me to download. Another question is there really a c:/program files folder on my computer? I know this is the structure that steam is in on windows, but why does wine put everything in /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam when i can only launch steam from c/program files/etc steam.exe. If there really is a c/program files do i jus tput my cfg's and maps in there?
    Okay, I don't use the Lucida console font personally so I don't know whether it works or with what results - If you still have a windows installation on a computer nearby, goto to the "c:\windows\fonts" folder and copy the tahoma.ttf file otherwise download it from the net by searching for tahoma.ttf. (I copy all of the windows fonts from my windows box anyway just to be sure). The font file goes under the following path /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts
    As for the cfg's and files like that you have created or "migrated" from another copy of CSS, I'm pretty sure they need to go under your specific Steam user name folder which has the decompressed game folders, I've attached a screenshot to show you what I mean but the path would be something like this /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Valve/Steam/SteamApps/<steam username>/counter-strike source/cstrike/cfg and /home/justin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Valve/Steam/SteamApps/<steam username>/counter-strike source/cstrike/maps respectively.
    Hope that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
    I was having the flashband problem on 0.9.30 and found that turning the resolution to 1024x768 fixes it. No need to downgrade to .29 or anything.
    Yeah, i'd love to run it in 1024*768 but sadly my poor old FX5200 doesn't like doing anything over 800*600 under linux, It's a bit much for the old card. 0.29 works perfectly for me without the need to start with a map on the console. I think i'll just wait until .32 before I upgrade again and see if the menu and other issue s are fixed first. That being said are there any major performance differences with the workaround in place from .29 to .31, speed differences?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fitzy_oz; February 18th, 2007 at 03:17 AM.
    A polar bear primarily eats seals.... Can you eat a seal? The Polar Bear is better than you

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast