Thread: OE-Cake, anyone got it working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation OE-Cake, anyone got it working?

http://www.octaveengine.com/en/casual/trial.html

This game is simply awesome and I played with it all the time, but now I have completely switched to Ubuntu, I tried running it under wine but nothing happens, not even an error message and I don't know how to run .exe files in the terminal

So, if anyone have used it in Ubuntu or could help on how to do so, please tell me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: OE-Cake, anyone got it working?

If you haven't worked with a terminal before, then an easy way of navigating it is installing the package "nautilus-open-terminal" which will allow you to right-click a folder and start a terminal from there.
    (Only works when using regular Ubuntu, meaning the one with the nautilus file browser). To install:

sudo apt-get install nautilus-open-terminal

- And to let it take effect, you'll likely have to restart nautilus (close all nautilus windows). If that doesn't help, just issue:

killall nautilus

- When that's done, open your home folder (Places-->Home folder) and press ctrl-h to be able to see hidden files. The wine stuff is in the hidden .wine folder. Navigate to it and keep going until you find your program's folder, and right-click it to start a terminal session from there. Then run your program like this (insert correct program name instead):

wine program_name.exe

- You'll probably get a lot of feedback which will help troubleshooting. In case you get zillions of fixme messages, try running it like this:

WINEDEBUG=fixme-all wine program_name.exe

- BTW, to take a look around from within a terminal, use:

ls

- and to navigate to a folder:

cd foldername

- or to go down one folder:

cd ..

- For more info see:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Beans

Re: OE-Cake, anyone got it working?

I haven't tried WINE yet, but it works nicely in CrossOver Games.