Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to: Xubuntu - Thunar Native Windows Network Browsing

To fusesmb your entire tree to for example ~/Desktop/network is imo easiest and I prefer it over smb://, but it just doesn't work anymore.

I also cannot force an older version in synaptic, it probably breaks too much dependencies for 9.10.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

As far as I understand smb:// isn't supposed to work at Thunar.

Beans

Supposedly with smbfuse you can get it to work in thunar, but.....

The apps that you use on xubuntu by default (ie: for music and vids) don't support the smb:// so I don't see the point. The best solution I got while using xubuntu was pyneighborhood. It mounts the share locally so that the apps I used for vids and music where able to see them. But you do need to go in and make changes to the user accounts for sharing and tell pyneighborhood to scan with a different user credentials. It's been months since I used it so I don't remember the exact phrasing.

In pyneighborhood you right click on the desired computer and choose the scan with other user option or something along those lines.

But under the user settings I add root and my user to the share and samba user group.
    Sometimes the best way to learn is to help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Epaminond View Post
    As far as I understand smb:// isn't supposed to work at Thunar.
    True (afaik), that's why I don't have a problem with Xubuntu because I don't really prefer Ubuntu's built-in smb://.

@sparvik

pyNeighborhood uses samba libraries. Hence, pyNeighborhood does not work either. My temporarily solution is to use Gigolo. It's like pyNeighborhood, but new(er), better, and able to mount much more then just samba.

It's under Applictions -> System -> Remote Filesystems.

Meanwhile I'm hoping for a sambafix, because like pyNeighborhood, Gigolo also mounts what you tell it to instead of a dynamic folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've tried it too. But actually it didn't work properly. Maybe that was my fault. ))
    Finally I wrote a little script that uses smb(u)mount command to mount/unmount shared folders and binded a free key to launch it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know this will not be an acceptable work-around for some as it has some set-up time and data-storage requirements, and also that it is kind of a one-way fix that doesn't apply to all users, but I thought I would lay this out for anyone who is interested.

Samba works just fine in Xubuntu, it is simply thunar that has an issue. I had originally installed ubuntu on my netbook, I decided to switch to Xubuntu by using synaptic package manager and the terminal so that all of my data and settings would be preserved. I had already created a share folder in my home folder before this switch. When I got done and had Xubuntu I could not find a the network locations. But if I opened up the network from my main computer with Ubuntu installed, i could still see the share on the machine that is now running on Xubuntu! This works great for me because usually I'm just dropping stuff onto the netbook. It would be considerably slower if you were trying to go in the reverse because you would have to move the file to the share folder, and then retrieve it with the main computer. Naturally people that are running solid-state hard drives with only a few gigs of storage may not be able to install the gnome desktop, but I'm guessing there is a way to create a shared folder in the terminal? If there is PM me with the code and I'll add it to this post. Also, I have no idea if a windows machine could view this share file...

Step by step workaround for accessing a Xubuntu machine from a Ubuntu computer:
    1. install the gnome desktop (more info here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce)
    I believe this can be done from synaptic
    2. Logout
    3. Log back in making sure to select a gnome session
    4. Create a shared file in your home folder. Right click on it, and change its settings so that sharing is enabled. make sure to set its permissions to your preference.
    5. remove gnome (again go to this website for more info http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexfce)

Your share should be working just find, but only in one direction.

Also, I don't know if this would work, but if you create a shared folder does it keep the sharing capability if you move it? Perhaps one could create a share on a computer and move it via a usb drive to another computer.

Hope someone finds use out of this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Now that I definitely need SMB again to access my work network drives (SMB), I found Gigolo recommended above. Given I don't want to go back to Gnome / Nautilus, it looked promising.

Install with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gigolo fuse-utils gvfs-fuse
    Then dead easy to get to work with these instructions:
    http://www.uvena.de/gigolo/help.html...ce-4-4-and-4-6

I then just created a shortcut to ~/.gvfs in thunar, so I can instantly access the shares from thunar as soon as Gigolo connects them.

Perfect. Beats pyneighbourhood, although I haven't used that for some time now.

Code:
    sudo gpasswd -a username fuse
    Obviously, you should replace username by your actual used username.

Then, you may need to add the following lines to your ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list so that Thunar is used to open folders by gvfs-open:

Code:
    x-directory/gnome-default-handler=Thunar.desktop
    inode/directory=Thunar.desktop
    x-directory/normal=Thunar.desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks for the links. I use Gigolo too for a while now, using it as an autostart application, but one thing that annoys me. Sometimes it wants to automount a folder that has a password. When in a hurry you press cancel, it seems like the dialog comes back a random number of times. Have you had and/or resolved this issue?

Offtopic but related: Windows 7 shares need to be authenticated on *buntu and vice-versa, even though they are both accessable to guests.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Redsandro View Post
    Sometimes it wants to automount a folder that has a password.
    I do not automount anything. I like to have control over what's mounting - I don't even automount USB sticks etc.

So sorry - I don't know.

I have also autostarted it in Sessions & Startup to go into the panel. It basically just sits beside the Network Manager and Bluetooth icon in a row of connectivity options.

I like

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Reason for automounts is mediacenter functionality. I'd like to be in control too but media serving should be as lazy and automated as possible.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast