Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terragen equivalent

Beans

Terragen equivalent

Hi, I have been a linux user since Slackware 1.1 but just started using Ubuntu several months ago. I am actually quite impressed and have been recommending it all over the place. So far I have been able to replace just about all my WinApps but I am still left finagling Wine into running Terragen for me.

Does anyone know of a Linux equivalent for Terragen? I would prefer Open Source of course but it would be nice to finally put Wine and my Windows partitions to bed!

Thanks!

TSL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Terragen equivalent

No unfortunately not, i use Dundjinni but havent tried it in cedega or wine yet

Beans

Actually I am not sure if that app would fill the bill... this is the sort of artwork I am producing with Terragen at this time:

Noon At Midnight

Other examples are at my website: digital.twilight.bruce.county

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Hi,

I have looked before, and I can say that there is no equivalent to Terragen in Linux. That being said, I have not tried it under Wine and would not suggest doing so because of the extra time it would take to render. I recommend just using it on another computer if you really need it.

Beans

there are few, but not as good or anywhere near it. heres one: http://planetgenesis.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro

Hey-

browsing around quickly and I found this program:

http://www.stellarium.org

It doesn't render terrains like terragen but it does render skies and some terrain. Its pretty good.

Should be in the repos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I don't think there exist any equivalent... CG software is rather rare, special thing. Actually i do have sort of "terragen equivalent" developed by myself but it is not exactly enduser usable, and to tell truth i don't maintain it anymore.

You can maybe use pov-ray to render terrain scenes under linux tho.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dml View Post
    I don't think there exist any equivalent... CG software is rather rare, special thing. Actually i do have sort of "terragen equivalent" developed by myself but it is not exactly enduser usable, and to tell truth i don't maintain it anymore.

You can maybe use pov-ray to render terrain scenes under linux tho.
    Thats very cool! But whats with the executable :/ ?
    What is it written in?
    Do you have any plans in continuing it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It's written in Pascal, a while ago (somewhere between 2002 and 2004), compiles with Free Pascal Compiler (i.e. it runs on linux too). The sources is somewhat horrible. It started in days when use of integer only math still seemed like a good idea.
    The last development i did was in 2005 summer, quickly fixing up a few animation issues for some minor commercial use (it render images about 100 times faster than terragen) but it wasn't really used unfortunately.
    I can release it as OSS, but will anyone maintain it or use it? Unfortunately i don't have time to, or time to look for maintaners.

Currently i'm working on entirely different rendering engine... You can check the MojoWorld section on my website, especially Volumetrics subsection and Erosion Fractal. Mathart section is also good.
    Last edited by Dml; November 23rd, 2006 at 01:45 PM. Reason: grammar. explanation how sources is horrible.

Beans

Hi Dmytry.

You'll know me from the Mojoworld forums.

If only there was any decent landscape generator that ran on Linux. I assume Mojoworld still doesn't run under Wine.

Planetside who make Terragen have said in answer to the FAQ:

Will TG2 be available for Linux?

"We will almost certainly have a command line render engine for Linux. The decision about a full GUI application is yet to be made."

This is one good step at least. It means you could use a Mac and wouldn't need Windows for huge multi machine renders.

Windows XP has just locked me out of one PC. I can't activate again so I'm locked out of doing big Mojoworld renders now since it can only use one core on my Mac and I need the Mac for other stuff. Of course I can stick a pirated XP Pro on there but it's the principle. MS forcing me to criminality when I simply made one to many hardware changes to the same system. Mojoworld is the only program keeping me on Windows.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast