Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Unofficial UbuntuGuide 5.04 Add-On CD Guide

Beans

Re: Unofficial UbuntuGuide 5.04 Add-On CD Guide

Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior
    jiyuu0, why has this ended? It was really a wonderful addition, letting me recommend ubuntu to anyone without reservations. It placed ubuntu on an even playing field with other distros in terms of easy setup. Now without it, I honestly have to say I would hesitate recommending ubuntu Can you tell us the reasons for not continuing with it?
    1 word...

copyrights

i just got to know it...
    Unofficial Ubuntu Starter Guide
    URL: http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans

Which bit is the most offending? Is there any chance of taking it out and continuing with the rest?

Beans

Which bit is the most offending? Is there any chance of taking it out and continuing with the rest?
    that could be done... but i have to read every single package license... and that's licensing nightmare

Beans

That's terrible If it comes down to that maybe the task could be divided up with the help of forum members? You could post packages you need info on and people could help look for licenses.

BTW - Were you contacted by someone/group that asked you to stop or did you find out on your own?

Beans

That's terrible If it comes down to that maybe the task could be divided up with the help of forum members? You could post packages you need info on and people could help look for licenses.

BTW - Were you contacted by someone/group that asked you to stop or did you find out on your own?
    i just found out through the #ubuntu-devel chat room... got freeked out

Beans

i thought it's ok to put in CD as it's easily accessable from apt-get repositories...

could this be limited to some country?

if the CD is violating, then Backports and Marillat is too right as the packages are downloaded cache from them?

Beans

I don't have a full understanding of the issue, but it would seem logical, as it's the same packages in question. I think the main "problem" country is the US, but could be others too....

What was said exactly that freaked you out in the chat?

Beans

I don't have a full understanding of the issue, but it would seem logical, as it's the same packages in question. I think the main "problem" country is the US, but could be others too....

What was said exactly that freaked you out in the chat?
    I was told, it's like duplicating a legal CD an then distributing it...

it is possible to be sued over distribuing copyrighted packages (e.g. w32codecs, libdvdcss2, java, etc)
    Last edited by jiyuu0; May 29th, 2005 at 09:27 AM.

Beans

Hmmm..... this a tough one So then what is the difference between what you've put together and the repos? Is it because the packages on the repos are separated and on the CD are collected together as a unit? I think it's necessary to find out what the distinction is before trying to find a solution to continue this project. If there is no distinction, then according to what you were told the repos would be in violation as well.
    Last edited by weekend warrior; May 29th, 2005 at 10:37 AM.

Beans

jiyuu0, in the case you do not want, even in the future, to rebuild the cd, can you please at least tell us the procedure used, so every one of us with a little time can make his own addon-cd, based on your great guide? the guide is ok, i think, because it does not contain software, it's like a big collection of small howtos. So, let us do the work, everyone for himself... PLEASEEEEE

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast