View Poll Results: Would you support starting an LGBT Ubuntu subforum.

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, an LGBT Ubuntu forum is a great idea!

57 56.44%
  • Not sure.

14 13.86%
  • I'm opposed to an LGBT Ubuntu forum. (Please post an explanation.)

25 24.75%
  • I've got a better idea! (Please post it.)

5 4.95%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT Ubuntu subforum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

LGBT Ubuntu subforum

Howdy all. During all the fuss over gayubuntu.com here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299027), a few forum members, myself included, thought that a more integrative approach might be to create a subforum much like Ubuntu Women (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76) whose goal was to help make linux and Ubuntu specifically more friendly toward all the non-hetero folk around here, and also to see if a forum like that could be used to generate interest in development.

While I haven't seen many overtly homophobic posts on this thread (the mods are doing a good job), I have encountered a few, and it seems to me that not only does that kind of nonsense go against the spirit of Ubuntu, but that it also potentially alienates a user base that has proven extremely loyal to those organizations who take an inclusive attitude toward them. Moreover, and perhaps more importantly, it occured to me during the discussions about gayubuntu.com that it might actually be the case that LGBT folk tend to be interested, for whatever reasons, in certain kinds of software that are otherwise unclaimed, and if this is the case, the community-building efforts of a LGBT forum could be used to spark development.

Anyway, that's more or less what I'm thinking. I'm going to try to attach a poll (which I've never done before), so cast your vote, and post any questions or (please, non-offensive) comments here.

Beans

Re: LGBT Ubuntu subforum

My opposition arises from the concept of separation. The separation is not consistent with the mantra of ubuntu. Your argument for it seems to be based on the fact that a woman's subforum exists, yet doesn't justify why such a forum is good or right or whatever value judgment word you want to throw in here. Just because a woman's subforum exists doesn't make it right nor does it make a subforum which essentially serves the same purpose right. Unless you can provide intrinsic justification for the women's subforum, relying on it as precedent to support the gay forum is not logical.

Fragmentation is bad. We have an ubuntu cafe. That seems a sufficient subforum for any special interest discussion or anything of the like. The goal of these forums is ultimately support and as you move towards more fragmentation, you start reducing the amount of people that view, and therefore are able to offer support for, each post and problem.
    Last edited by bruenig; November 16th, 2006 at 02:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by bruenig View Post
    My opposition arises from the concept of separation. The separation is not consistent with the mantra of ubuntu. Your argument for it seems to be based on the fact that a woman's subforum exists, yet doesn't justify why such a forum is good or right or whatever value judgment word you want to throw in here. Just because a woman's subforum exists doesn't make it right nor does it make a subforum which essentially serves the same purpose right. Unless you can provide intrinsic justification for the women's subforum, relying on it as precedent to support the gay forum is not logical.
    My argument isn't really based on the existence of the Women's subforum - I just used it as an example of what I'd like to see happen. My argument is based on the fact that there are homophobic posts appearing on this forum (although they're usually deleted quickly), that Linux has primarily a straight male user base, which tends to promote its own interests (look, for example, at the number of desktop screenshots that have been posted featuring half-naked women, and think about how women might respond to that) and that an LGBT forum could serve the needs of Ubuntu by mobilizing a user base that may have specific interests and be motivated to developing along those lines.

As for fragmentation, gayubuntu.com exists. A subforum on this forum does not, and such a forum would be integrative (in my view). Its goal would not be to promote a separation between users (because that already exists - not all the time, but enough of the time) but to unify what I see as an already fragmented community.

Beans

yes seperation is not intended at all here. In fact, it's a way to possibly make forum-goers more aware of their populace. Anyone would be free to post there, and I expect them to.

I, for one, would love to talk about current issues regarding homosexuality, and I might even have a few questions I want answered.

I think it's a cool idea

Beans

I haven't ever really seen half naked women on screenshots here.

Unless you meant women in bathing suits... and I highly doubt women are offended by that,

Beans

lol, let's not get off track. The issue at hand is simply would you support a subforum to make LGBT users feel more comfortable, where we could discuss issues that have come up, talk about how homosexuality is being played out in current events, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

firstly sorry for my post causing such a fuss! *lol*

I personally think this would be a great idea. It would continue the ideas behind gaybuntu and attract gay & lesbian non-linux users to start using ubuntu. It would keep everything under one roof which is one of the big points raised by so many people in the original thread. I also think it would be a great step to showing how the open source & ubuntu community has such a mature attitude towards topics like sexuality.
    don't click below....
    http://www.rocketware.co

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Great idea I support it. One of my favorite developers is trans-gender and I think a LGBT sub-forum would foster an inclusive attitude amongst the community.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyxx View Post
    firstly sorry for my post causing such a fuss! *lol*
    No worries about creating fusses! Sometimes, that's a good thing!

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't have anything against people with different sexual preferences from mine, but I think this is a bad idea.

The Ubuntu forums were created (I'm guessing) to support Ubuntu users with their problems with Ubuntu. Granted, we have been given playgrounds in the Cafe and Backyard, and these should be enough. There are plenty of special interest forums out on the internet (see attachment); we don't need "yet-another <insert topic>" forum created here. IMO the LoCo and 3rd party subforums are totally unnecessary as well.

I don't think it's cheap to run these forums. I'm sure whoever funds them doesn't mind, but they definitely feel it in the wallet every month. Attracting more users for a purpose totally separate from the original intended purpose of these forums just creates IMO undue wear and tear.

I don't think it's easy to moderate these forums. You're asking the moderators to deal with all the crap that's bound to come up in such a controversial forum, on top of the crap they deal with already. (Mods: I seriously salute you, all you guys/gals are doing a fine job.) I wouldn't be as tolerant as the mods have been so far, but the addition of such a forum would probably force a mod to push a little harder than we're used to around here. Then we'd have a bunch of whiners complaining. Nobody likes whiners, least of all me.

These forums are also public, meaning I wouldn't doubt if you walked into an average middle/high school and started surfing the internet that these forums would be blocked. True, kids are more aware of current social issues than their parents realize, but to openly expose kids to this kind of subject matter on a primarily computer-related forum is going overboard. Do you really want the Ubuntu forums to be blocked to all the kids in school that have a legitimate interest in browsing here? There is an amazing amount of knowledge and knowledgeable users here, and I would hate to see it go to waste.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is, think about what you're asking for. Take into consideration everyone and everything that would be involved in such a forum.

</opinion>
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast