Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Change the Default File Manager in Gnome (to Konqueror or Thunar)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HowTo: Change the Default File Manager in Gnome (to Konqueror or Thunar)

The script makes a backup copy of all of the files it modifies. That's what all the "duplicates" are that contain nautilus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arrow Re: HowTo: Change the Default File Manager in Gnome (to Konqueror or Thunar)

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    It's come up several times on these forums that someone has wanted to change the default file manager in Gnome from Nautilus to Konqueror or Thunar.

Until recently, no one had a working answer to that question. I'd thought in the past that we could simply do something like this:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/nautilus.old --rename /usr/bin/nautilus
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/konqueror /usr/bin/nautilus
    or this
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/nautilus.old --rename /usr/bin/nautilus
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/thunar /usr/bin/nautilus
    But it hasn't worked. In fact, I think the results have been disastrous.

Remember that in Gnome, Nautilus is not just the file manager--it also draws the desktop, and it's also a CD-burning application.

So, thanks to ciscosurfer, the answer is here: changing around some .desktop files in /usr/share/applications, and I've created scripts to do that--one for Thunar and one for Konqueror. I've tested both script as well as the "restore Nautilus" script, and they're good for the most part.

The only problem is when I plug in an external drive, it still pops up in Nautilus. Grrr. Anyone know the answer to that one?

Well, in the meantime, the almost-completely-working scripts are available here:
    http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/nonautilusplease
    Thanks for the nod, and I appreciate the attribution. 8) I'm going to check out your script now!

As for the removable media and desktop folder issues, I am working on a quick fix. I will post back here when I get it all worked out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Way to go, aysiu! Great scripts--totally fantastic! Super-quick and easy to use. To make the process go smooth, I did alter the scripts to use apt-get instead of aptitude, which is these cases, makes the most sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm all for a Krusader script as well (looks like there are few more files, but I'm sure the script can be easily adjusted).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I've put it on my to-do list (Krusader and apt-get), but no promises about when I deliver. In the meantime, if anyone wants to alter the script and files appropriately, feel free. It's open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Arrow Re: HowTo: Change the Default File Manager in Gnome (to Konqueror or Thunar)

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I've put it on my to-do list (Krusader and apt-get), but no promises about when I deliver. In the meantime, if anyone wants to alter the script and files appropriately, feel free. It's open source.
    I'm working on a few alterations and additions that you may find useful. I can either post them here or PM when I'm ready to get your email address.

Also, I'm looking into how to modify the scripts to take care of the issues regarding removable drives only opening in Nautilus, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ciscosurfer View Post
    I'm working on a few alterations and additions that you may find useful. I can either post them here or PM when I'm ready to get your email address.

Also, I'm looking into how to modify the scripts to take care of the issues regarding removable drives only opening in Nautilus, etc.
    Please do post here any changes you make or any other suggestions.

I think the problem with the removable drives is the "Open with" .desktop file.

The original file has the command
    Code:
    nautilus --no-desktop %U
    I just swapped that out for
    Code:
    thunar %U
    or
    Code:
    konqueror %U
    but I'm not really sure what %U means...

The deal with icons on the desktop opening with Nautilus can't be helped, as far as I can tell. Nautilus draws the desktop, so icons on the desktop will open with Nautilus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In gconf-editor, go to /desktop/gnome/applications

I haven't had time to mess with these, but there may be hope yet!

I think the %U stands for the users path (or home directory) but I could be wrong...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There's definitely a lock or some sort on the Open Folder .desktop file as well as the Folder properties Open With tab on folders on the desktop. I'm now going to try actually deleting the Open Folder .desktop file and if that removes the 'lock'.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ciscosurfer View Post
    In gconf-editor, go to /desktop/gnome/applications

I haven't had time to mess with these, but there may be hope yet!

I think the %U stands for the users path (or home directory) but I could be wrong...
    You are right on!

It's /desktop/gnome/applications/component_viewer/exec

That should be changed to
    Code:
    thunar %s
    and it'll work for external media. I haven't tried it for Konqueror yet.

Edit: Never mind. My Nautilus looks too much like Thunar. I got them confused.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast