Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new e-mail client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Need a new e-mail client

I need some suggestions for a new e-mail client. I have been an Evolution user since the days of Ximian, but I have become fed up with this piece of garbage. Back in the early days when it was still in beta, Evolution was lacking features but it was very solid. It seemed like every update that Ximian made improved functionality and stability to the point that it became my one and only mail client. After Novell aquired Evolution, it seems that progress has been going backwards. The program gets buggier with every release, and I still have issues with basic features not working (like play sound when new mail arrives). I'm also not real crazy about the recent deal between Novell and Microsoft so I would like to distance myself from Novell as much as possible.

Anyway, here is what I require in a mail client:
    1) Support for local mail, POP, IMAP, etc.
    2) Filtering with customizable filters
    3) Ability to add antivirus and spam checks
    4) Prefer something with integrated Addressbook and Calendar

Anyone have suggestions? I'm currently trying out Thunderbird, but it appears to have issues grabbing local mail.

Beans

Re: Need a new e-mail client

thunderbird?
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Beans
    Distro

I could probably use Thunderbird if someone could tell me how to make it get local mail. I tried setting it up, but it doesn't seem to work.

Beans

Kontact (kmail). The best email client I have used.

Beans
    Hidden!

Kontact does all that trivially. And it satisfies pretty much all your complaints about Evolution. It has far, far more features, and enterprise-grade stability (and don't forget to install kmailcvt to import your mail; it will work easily as KMail can natively use the same mail format as evolution IIRC).

Beans

I have been using Opera's email client for a few years now, and am quite satisfied with it. It doesn't have a calander, and some of it is a bit simple (address book, for example; it doesn't allow you to create 'groups' of email addresses), but its filtering system is still the best that I have come accross.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the suggestino to try Kontact!! This is exactly what I was looking for! Kontact makes Outlook and Evolution look like toys.

Beans

I was just about to recommend Kontact, to late It really rocks if you ask me.

Beans
    Hidden!

try balsa. here's a list of its features - http://balsa.gnome.org/features.html

Beans
    Distro

just use the gmail web interface
    then you have google calendar as well

along with the gmail skins extension for firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2127/)
    and the greasemonkey script, gmail conversation preview (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/3759)

gmail becomes perfect
    (if you want a gmail account i can give you one....(people still have to be invited into gmail to get a gmail address, don't they??))

i used to use thunderbird, it's a good program
    if u find some of my ideas weird...look at my avatar for the reason
    http://delfick.storage.googlepages.c...ycfuserbar.png

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast